Topic

Two Brothers in Shining Rock Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Two Brothers in Shining Rock Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Shining Rock Wilderness (Fall 2011)

After bailing out of a trip in Linville Gorge my 13 year old brother Joseph and I worked things out to extend our trip and spend two nights exploring the Shining Rock Wilderness Area. We didn't do anything epic or special but we had a great time together.

Its cold!

The trailhead leading into Shining Rock Wilderness is right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. As we shouldered our packs in the bone chilling wind tourist helpfully told us we were crazy. I would have loved to have showed them our minimal gear!

Tent

It was getting late so we hiked a short distance and pitched camp by a creek. I knew it would be cold so I pitched my 9x9ft. tarp with three sides flush to the ground. The open end I faced downhill and into the brush. It was a cold night. We passed the time chatting about varies things. Joseph is a very smart young man at 13 wer're lucky too have always gotten along pretty well as brothers.

Joseph

At first light we were up and hiking.

Joseph2

Joseph3

The trail led up to the ridge and the Art Loeb Trail.

View

Once on the ridge the views became much more open and dramatic.

View

Ice

It was still cold and ice linger on the trees from a storm the day before. We enjoyed the scenery silently. We didn't talk much we just quietly enjoyed the scenery and the experience of seeing a cool wilderness together.

Ridge

Me

As the sun got higher it warmed up a bit but it was chilling all day long. Hiking at a good pace helped us stay warm.

Snow dusting

There had been a light snow sometime earlier and you could still see a dusting of snow in shady spots.

View2

V3

This was our first time in the area and Joseph absulutely loved the scenery. He took dozens of pictures from every angle.

V4

We ate lunch on a rock and dried out Joseph's sleeping bag which had picked up some condensation.

We had planned to hike a few more miles and camp near Shining Rock. The next day we'd climb Cold Mountain and head home.
    The problem was my ankle was starting to hurt. I was recovering from a really bad sprain earlier and I knew if I pushed myself it could get really painful and it would not heal again quickly. That nixed any hope of climbing Cold Mountain either that day or the next.

We agreed that since we couldn't hike much farther we might as well take a side trail off the ridge and back to the car. I told Joseph we could stay the night be he said "No thanks." If we weren't going anywere new he had no interest in another cold nice on a windy mountain.

Hiking out

The trail out was pretty but nothing like the ridge we'd been on. We moved quickly and didn't stop for much. We skipped dinner knowing we'd buy somethign on the way home.

Done!

It was a fun trip but I was a bit dissappointed. Our original hiking plan for Linville Gorge had fallen apart and now the three day epic hike I'd planned had turned into a realatively tame overnighter that was barely more than a day hike. I changed my outlook when my mom reported that Joseph told her it was his favorite trip ever. I guess that makes it a success. I'm blessed to have an awesome family and spending quality time with them is way more important to me than how far I'm able to hike on a trip.

View

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

The smile on his face says it all!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Luke,
    It's great that you two brothers spent some quality time and that you are introducing him to some nice areas. With that age, you have to be wiling to make adjustments since. I'm sure that he'll be out there some day with you or his buddies, and he'll be the one leading the crew. The roles of brothers can reverse with (old) age as I have appreciated with my brother, who is 9 years older than me. :)
    Tom

Sean Heenan

@roadster1

Locale: Southeast mountains

Love Shining Rock, I did this trip last summer with my son and had similar results, we were on our way to Cold mountain and my my son got sick and the weather turned rough(severe thunderstorms) so we hiked out. Only one night spent at Shining rock but gives us a something to shoot for on a retry. Love your trip report.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Great trip Luke. I have yet to hike with my older brother, though we talk about it. I do have a 16 yr old nephew that was thrilled with a short hike up to Timber mtn, I ought a go pick him up soon and take him on an overnight. It would be quite an honor to be the one who helped nurture a young man's passion for the mountains. Looks like you have the same opportunity with your brother as he clearly is kindling the same kind of interest. Thanks for the story, get him out again soon so we can hear about it!

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

Thanks for sharing this with us, Luke. SRW is one of my favorite places around and should be on your list for future trips.

edit: my question was answered in the other Trip Report.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Thanks for the kind words ya'll. I was hoping someone would enjoy the pictures besides me and Joseph.

Adan – I'm hoping to get back out there with Joseph before my summer job starts. The tenative idea I working on is a big loop of 50+ miles in southern VA. If I do I'll try to post pictures again.

Patrcik – I liked your TR on Grayson Highlands by the way. I'm hoping to get up there this June.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

Luke

Love the photos and the report. That is an incredible area to hike. Love the balds. You should look at thru hiking the Art Loeb trail, very gorgeous and close to that area.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools