Topic

BPL Blog?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Just discovered in the BPL menu that a BPL blog is in the works. Hmm. I'm really wondering, as someone who has blogged for 8 years, what exactly this is going to entail, and what it means for the survival of the magazine, especially since they are soliciting posts. How exactly is this going to be sustainable with simultaneous magazine articles and forum posts going on?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It does seem like a blog format would be less attractive to get others to post than to a website, but I could be wrong. The blog may be commercialized easier to bring in money from google or other ad sources.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Months ago, I sent an enquiry and a writing sample to the email listed. Not only did I not get a rejection, I never got a reply at all. As with so much else here lately, believe it when you see it and not before.

Dave T

@davet

Yes, there will be a full-featured BPL blog rolled out shortly, with daily articles by Dr. Ryan Jordan, exhaustive gear reviews, trip reports galore, etc. To access it, please buy MLife memberships for yourself and at least six friends and/or family members.*

* Also, BPL is now stocking BPL-brand Swamplands in the Gear Store.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Another example that BPL does not know what it want to be when it grows up. I have written RJ personally about this.

He is in a real awkward situation right now. He of course responded that he is aware and asked for our continued patience.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

It's been there for months.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Personal issues aside, there's a contradiction inherent in trying to run a business promoting philosophical minimalism (not just minimum pack weight) in a capitalist economy focused on continual growth. I get the impression Ryan has become disenchanted with gram counting and endless acquisition and might be trying to figure out how to keep BPL solvent while moving away from gear-centric consumerism.

Then again, I don't know the guy. This is just the impression I get from some of his more recent writing. But if that's indeed the case, I sympathize with his dilemma. Sustainable practices are a lot harder to work out than pure customer-driven business models.

The continued radio silence is pretty annoying, though.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Not too sure why we need the blog when we have the forum. Just another place to scatter information!

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

When in doubt, you could just pay $25 PER MONTH for email letters directly from RJ, at least according to his web site. And people complain that membership here may not be worth it. Wonder how that's working out for the subscribers…

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

That would be the new MLAP membership level, eh Brian?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Mlap, is that one worh free Kool aid?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

No, but it is all singing and all dancing.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hey heh, Daddy is back in the building.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Nothing new in over 6 months. No update here either. Typical. Is the experiment over? Can't get people to submit any kind of quality material? Spread himself too thin.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Be fair Ken. You know he is working on his Kickstarter packrafting project. Can't tell you how that is going, since I didn't donate.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Shockingly I did not either. Maybe he's busy helping Hendrik get those ULAZ episodes done too. This I what I mean about spreading himself too thin. I wonder how many submissions were sent in during Ryan's last request here?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools