Topic

Light side pockets??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light side pockets??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm looking for light "aftermarket" side pockets for my REI UL Cruise 60 and any pack I subsequently buy, like an Osprey EXOS 58 for example.

My current REI side pockets are 400 cu. In each and I'd like to keep the pockets about that size.

But I would like to get lighter fabric for the pockets, something hopefully in Dyneema-like Spectra grid that would help when bushwhacking.

Anyone out there know of such animals? I can always sew light webbing to the pocket backs for attatching if they come "naked".

P.S. I do not want to sew these pockets on permenantly but buckle them on with the short Fastex buckled straps I'm now using.

P.P.S. In case anyone wonders, I like side pockets for gear I need quickly like 1st aid kit, toilet kit, potty bag, Steripen, etc. Plus, of course, it leaves more room for food and water inside the main bag.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Jared King
    BPL Member

@jking

Locale: Middle TN

These are a little smaller than what you're looking for, but Joe could make these whatever size you want. He's really good with custom request.

http://zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks guys. I'll check out both options.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

400ci is a a massive size for side pockets. I can't imagine the pockets on your REI pack were that large but I don't have the pack myself. I know the BPL review of the pack made note of how small the side pockets were…Beyond that Zpacks does make a great side pockets as well as the pack pocket mentioned by Jarad. Gossamer gear also makes pockets in two different sizes. Granite gear is another source. All of these pockets are in the 40-60ci range except Zpacks pack pocket which is 215ci.

David Alexander
    BPL Member

@davea95

Locale: Northeast

MLD has 48 ci pockets that weigh 1 oz made out of dyneema x. A lot smaller than the 400 ci you're looking for though.

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools