Topic

Ideas for hiking sun protection/ scrambling gloves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ideas for hiking sun protection/ scrambling gloves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I'm looking to get some non insulated gloves for two primary purposes:

1) sun protection for hands while using trekking poles.

2) some protection for minor scrambling etc.

I don't know if these two purposes are antithetical, but I figured I'd see if anyone had any good ideas. I'd like them to be pretty breathable and comfortable and relatively inexpensive. :)

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Have you tried using workout or weight training gloves? The ones that basically look like these: http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/00629281000_20100513120154347?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Try the super thin Mechanix gloves with the synthetic leather palm/fingers & mesh remainder. I have found them at Target in the automotive for $15 or so.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

you could look at sailing gloves at west marine or other boat shop, and i use nrs paddling gloves on canoe trips. all the options sound hot to me, but the sailing/paddling glove may have the best leather palm.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Patagonia sun gloves…..

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Another vote for Coolibar–great for use with trekking poles.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

light mechanix or golf gloves …

Justin Hebert

@justdsm

I'll second the light Mechanix goves.

I'd also like to throw out there I picked up a set of paintball gloves from walmart that have half fingers and a really grippy pad/palm. They've been my go-to scrambling glove for a while now.

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I'll have to look into all of these. I appreciate the input.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Sun gloves. They are an off white and made out of spandex or similar material; around $20. I haven't use them but a friend does and he likes them allot.

I use a light weight pair of fleece gloves. They've been great from moderately cold to warm/hot weather. You can buy them at the 99 cent only stores, for you guessed it, 99 cents. I never go on a hike without them. Gave a pair to a friend as well.

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

Smartwool Training Gloves

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

For sun I use Patagonia Sun Gloves. For scrambling up a 14'er I will try the Gorilla Gloves recommended by Will Rietveld.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

E-Force Chill Racquetball Glove. I use these on every summer trip. They breath well, very durable, comfortable, light weight, and protect hands from sun,rock abrasions, fire or pot burns. These gloves are my number one favorite piece of backpacking gear.
    Bill

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

One of my backpacking buddies wears thin gloves.

I use Neurtogena SPF 70 sunscreen on my neck, face and hands. Consumer Reports found it to be the most effective sunscreen they tested.

Here in the Mojave Desert for hiking I always wear a wide brimmed hat, long seeve shirts and long pants, summer or winter.

thorbjorn lyster
    BPL Member

@nqnq

Buff Water Gloves.

Great length to keep the sun off (both wrists and fingers), light and cool, and fingertips free so you can still crimp handholds on rocks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools