Topic

wide mouth plastic bottle options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) wide mouth plastic bottle options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I have revised my water carrying options down to 2 x 1.5L plastic bottles with small mouth that weigh 35grams each. I figure I am gooing to be treating one of the 1.5L bottles of water while using the other that has already been treated (places we go to often has little water gathering options). What I am looking for though is a wide mouthed lightweight plastic bottle to scoop water into more efficiently. The cycling wide mouth bottles are no good as they weigh too much. Is there a wide mouth (collapsable even) option that is around the 35g mark?

Ps:sorry about the metric usage.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Nalgene has collapsable 32oz (approx 1 liter) wide mouth options that weigh 2oz

http://www.rei.com/product/670588/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-32-fl-oz

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I currently use a Nalgene 32 ounce soft bottle with a GSI coffee filter, but that is part of my Steripen kit and these days.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=15292

I just bought a Sawyer Squeeze and may fill from an empty soda pop bottle which fits onto it. I found a nice adapter that converts Nalgene wide mouth bottles to small mouth so you get the best of both worlds.Easy to clean, add ice, doesn't spill.
    http://humangear.com/capCAP.html

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

http://humangear.com/capCAP.html Josh will this fit the Sawyer?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Towel.

Soak, ring, repeat.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

More specifically, will the sawyer screw directly onto the nalgene with this adapter?

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Anybody know if this will fit?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The humangear cap will not fit. The Jetflow cap will. Kinda heavy though.

http://jetflow.com/product-detail/?pid=247

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

So I can attacht he Sawyer directly to the adapter and I couldn't find the weight?Do you know how heavy?Thanks

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It's not a brick, but .7 oz.

Lowell Mills
    BPL Member

@farmhand357

Sorry, this is a little off-topic. REI sez it'll have stainless wide-mouth 32-oz Nalgene bottles in April. While these may not be the lightest, can they be used to heat water, even directly on a fire, and thereby replace a pot? You could also flavor your water and not have to worry about the plastic absorbing an odor, n'est-ce pas?

Thanks in advance for any insight…

Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

That would be great but I wonder what kind of weight you'd be looking at.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

A solution I like is to use a wide mouth plastic bottle, and in my water kit (a few ounces) I have my repackaged aqua mira bottles + mixing bottle, plus a small (about 3" x 3") square of noseem netting together with another cap from a similar bottle where I have cut out the top using a dremmel tool. When filling simply take off the normal cap and screw on the cap with the top removed over the noseem netting. Dunk bottle in stream and bobs your uncle. The noseem netting is as much as you will usual need. If you are so inclined rubber bands will sub for the modified top.

The old liter Aquafina bottles (everywhere in CA grocery stores) with the wide mouths used to be perfect for this, especially because the bottles were a little thicker and tougher than a lot of water bottles, and were the perfect radius for most side pockets. For some reason the wide mouth bottles are apparently not made any more. Makes me wish I had stocked up. A cursory look at the grocery store indicates that gatoraid type bottles are the only ones left with the wide mouths.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"That would be great but I wonder what kind of weight you'd be looking at."

According to one site, the 38oz bottle weighs 12.9 oz and the 32 oz bottle weighs 10.5 oz.

Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

I could see using that for sure

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Mik, consider using a superlight less-than-wide mouth bottle but taking along a cut down Platypus to use as a scoop. I cut about 60% off the top of a 1L Platy, at a slight angle, and it makes a great scoop that packs flat and weighs less than an ounce.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools