Topic

Tarptent (Double Rainbow) question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent (Double Rainbow) question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Q Smith
    BPL Member

@neotechktc-com-2-2

Locale: Texas Hill Country

i don't use a tent to keep bears or moose out – i figure they can get through. i use a tent with a mesh (tarptent sublite) because i don't like the idea of waking up to find a rattler or copperhead snuggling up with me!

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Locale: Toronto, Ontario

Hi Franco,
    Thank you very much for your video. I have learned so much. I did not know that the loops on the outside of tent are for extra guylines. Great tip.
    I do not use hiking poles right now. I might buy some in the future but for now I have to do without them. Questions:
    If I do not use the hiking poles then can I still have the tent secured quite well against the wind with just the guylines or the hiking poles make a huge difference?
    You mentioned Dyneema guylines. Is Dyneema your favourite material for guylines and why?
    So I believe that I can attach a total of 4 additional guylines for extra security against wind. Is it correct? What length should they be?
    Also I have seen some pictures with the vestibule opened up with guylines secured to trees. How long should they be?
    Does it mean that I should have a total of 6 extra guylines?
    Thank you so much.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Alina
    For a start keep in mind that most of the time you will not need any guylines at all.
    Yes you can attach guylines directly to the grommets at the apex.
    Trekking poles there will add leverage but again it is in extreme situations.
    I have several guylines. The Dyneema are the lightest but I use others too.
    Usually I recommend 6' for a guyline so that you can use it to attach to a bush or a tree if you need to.
    A max of 4 guylines will do. In high winds you will not have that porch set up in place…
    Franco

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Wondering if anyone with the Tarptent Double Rainbow knows if the freestanding mode can work with a fixed length poles such as Black Diamond Z-Poles.

Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You need a minimum length of 55" for it to work.
    having done some experiments with it I ended up making a 10" extension (curtain rail) to give my poles a total of about 61" and it works well at that.
    Note how I attach the guyline (tie out) to the ext.

pole ext
    Franco

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools