Topic

GPS Tracker + Displays Co-Ordinates – Does it Exist?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GPS Tracker + Displays Co-Ordinates – Does it Exist?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've been thinking about getting some sort of a GPS tracker unit…primarily for peace of mind for my wife during a few solo trips I've got planned this summer.

Something like the Spot2 or Garmin GTU 10 tracker would seemingly suffice, but it seems like a real shame to be lugging around a GPS unit yet be unable to benefit from the info it collects while on the trail. A tiny unit that in addition to communicating my route with loved ones back home, also displays the GPS co-ordinates to the hiker seems so much more useful for hardly any additional cost. A tiny B & W screen with my basic Lat/Long is all I'm asking. As I push into more remote areas, being able to check my co-ordinates would provide nice peace of mind for me in case i really mess things up my map and compass skills.

But no one makes one right? I'd have to buy a GPS tracker and a small regular GPS (Garmin Foretex or Geko) to fulfill this functionality and that's way too much cost / hassle / complexity.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

@Dan

The Garmin unit uses the AT&T wireless network to transfer your position so probably not what you are looking for.

I finally made the leap and bought the Spot Connect that works with my iPhone. If you carry a smart phone with you, then this might be a good solution although it's a lot of extra gear to carry.

The Spot connect (4.6 oz with two lithium batteries) can be used by itself if you think that sometimes you might just be interested in the SOS button. You can't use tracking or send OK alerts without a smart phone but it does have an SOS button.

The Spot Connects features are really great if you pair it with a smart phone. You need a smart phone to turn on tracking and the smart phone app lets you select over a dozen predefined messages to send to predefined contact groups (you pick your contacts when you send the message). This extends the functionality of the regular Spot 2 signicantly and is why I went for the Spot Connect over the regular Spot 2.

I can choose from a dozen or so predefined messages for my outgoing OK/warning messages OR I can send a custom message (type it on my phone) and send that via the Spot Connect. This is what makes this unit worth owning IMO. Even if you don't want to send a custom message to your friends or family (at 50 cents a message), the idea that I can send custom instructions with an SOS alert is a BIG deal to me. Nice to be able to tell the SARs team what to expect in an emergency situation.

It's a lot of extra electronics to carry (iphone + waterproof case = 6.0 oz and a Spot Connect at 4.6 oz) but I'm able to leave my MP3 player and GPS behind so it's not a bad trade off. I could also leave my camera behind and just use the iPhone but I think smart phone cameras stink, so not something I would consider to save the weight.

I'm not aware of any other device that provides this type of service.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

That is a lot of functionality. It'll be interesting to watch how this sort of technology continues to develop over the coming years. I don't have an iPhone now (or any cell phone actually) but eventually I'll have one again.

Can you view your GPS co-ordinates on your iPhone with the Spot Connect?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Smart phones all have built in GPS's so coordinate viewing is simple. The GPS app looks just like any other GPS. Many of the apps also allow you to download maps so that you can view your maps even when you are outside the cell network. I have several apps on my iPhone that have downloadable mapping and they work very well (exactly like a handheld GPS, with coordinate display, tracks and waypoints).

The only disadvantages with using the smart phone is battery life and fragility. Battery life is not an issue as long as you are going to use it as you mentioned, just grabbing coordinates once in a while and not leaving the smart phone GPS on all the time. I used to put mine in a small dry bag however, I have recently bought a waterproof case that allows me to use my iPhone in wet conditions (nice since I'm a fisherman).

The Spot Connect (or Spot 2) will drop a track point down every 10 minutes and the points are uploaded to your own personal web map (hosted by Spot), so your friends and family can follow your progress. The smart phone doesn't have to be left on once you turn on the tracking, it is only needed to turn the tracking feature on initially or to send an "I'm OK" alert.

The predefined messages on the Spot Connect are really a plus and I've used one of those already… "I'm going to be late" comes in really handy when the fishing is good!

Edit to add: I should have mentioned that your messages can be sent via email, Twitter or Facebook as well as going to the web map. You can set up various contact groups on your smart phone (and on Spot's site) and select whichever one you want when you send your message. Adds a fair bit of freedom to your messaging.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks Mike. I guess I should have realized that. At this point a smart phone + spot is too expensive but it's good to know it's out there.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Dan,

I have a garmin GPS unit currently gathering dust b/c I'm almost always on trails with a map. When I really wanted, though, was something similar to what you are talking about. Google "gps data logger". These are small GPS units for tracking data points that you can use later with other software or Google Maps. This is the kind of thing you might have one a keychain, use with a camera or make your rebellious teenager swallow so you can track them. There are a few that have basic displays.

It would probably be worthwhile to check what kind of GPS chips these have, though.

Edit: try this page. I don't know anything about Semsons but this one has a large number of units:

http://www.semsons.com/datalogger.html

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

Did a search for this exact topic and don’t really see any current postings. Since technology has grown in leaps and bounds, surely (hopefully) there are newer and improved products out?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Seven years later smartphones have taken over. And there is Inreach now too.

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

I was looking at Verizon coverage and it looks sketchy where we’ll be. The Inreach looks like a pretty decent solution.

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

May not be what you are looking for but an Iphone or Android device running Gaia in offline mode can display your coordinates.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

GPS is non dependent on cell service.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Did a search for this exact topic and don’t really see any current postings. Since technology has grown in leaps and bounds, surely (hopefully) there are newer and improved products out?

Amy Lauterbach <sp?> has posted some incredibly detailed information on iPhone use as a GPS.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

For a few years now, the answer to Dan’s original question (a device to send tracking points and show coordinates) has been “inReach”.

But, cell phones are rapidly replacing hand-held GPS units.  A post just yesterday asking for GPS recommendations on the search and rescue subreddit has a couple responses suggesting Gaia, such as “Most everyone on our team has ditched dedicated GPS units and downloaded Gaia GPS on their phone of choice, then wrapped that in an OtterBox case.

Of the traditional concerns (accuracy, durability, battery life), the first has rapidly improved, the second can be mitigated with cases (and to some extent may be overstated as a risk), and the third can be managed with knowledge and battery packs.

-J

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

I agree with Jeremy, I have old GPS units gathering dust.  My iPhone with Gaia and using the phone as my camera just lasted me a week.  Amy’s posts are fantastic about disabling battery draining features and turning down the screen brightness.  I still had a battery pack, but they have shrunk to the size of two decks of cards that will charge my phone multiple times if necessary.

Doesn’t get you tracking capability for those at home like spot or inreach but maybe garmin’s acquisition of delorme will eventually bring a more cost effective solution in this area.

Steve

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

Another Iphone user here.  I normally create my own maps on Caltopo and upload them to Avenza Maps App.  I do a fair amount of cross-country travel and the iphone has been a great tool for that.  Something I do to maximize battery use is to carrying a regular compass.  Once I set my bearings on the compass I don’t need to check my iphone as often.  The compass (along with a paper map) also works as a backup in case of iPhone failure (Luckily that has not happened yet, even after several years of using the same system).

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools