Topic

Bay Area GGG 4.5 this fall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Bay Area GGG 4.5 this fall?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Ken, Rick can have my spot, I have to many things going on that month, you guys and gals have fun.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I actually have plans to be in Point Reyes that weekend as well. I'll be sure to stop by and say hi.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This is why we can't have the big GGG at Point Reyes…

This is from the Point Reyes website..
    Camping is limited to four nights per visit, with a maximum of 30 nights per year. We do not allow groups of more than 6 people to split up into individual sites. Groups are restricted to group sites only.

This is from the Recreation.gov website. Online reservations from now on.
    Individuals may not book multiple sites in any one campground on the same night. Groups of more than 6 may not purchase multiple sites in one campground for one night.

Keep this in mind. Don't get us kicked out.

Henry Coe is totally cool with us doing multiple sites. So that is where the big #5 will be.

4/28/2012 Note to self. 292 days to #5 1/25/2013

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Please add me and Kristin to the waiting list. We live one hour from Point Reyes and would love to partake in a BPL gathering!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

OK Danny. I got you down as a +1. I am sure you will get a spot so plan on coming.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Thanks Ken. My birthday is Oct 20, so now I know how we'll be celebrating!

rowan !

@romonster

As I'm reading it, there's nothing that says I can't separately reserve an individual site for myself and a friend or two at Coast Camp the same weekend, and then wander over to the group site to socialize. Is that true?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

This is true. We all have to remember that we are all not there together though. As in one big organized group. And depending on how some folks operate their mouthes this could easily be misrepresented as such. "Oh I'm here with the BPL group"
    See what I mean? As far as I am aware at this point there are almost half the spots taken already by people here.

Reyes is always so popular that I will have to make different plans for any future trips there.

rowan !

@romonster

Yes, of course. I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble. I went ahead and made a reservation for an individual site. I've stayed at Coast Camp twice before, and the area is a favorite of mine; I love watching the sunset on the beach after a day of hiking.

I think having a separate site will work well. I tend to need a break from socializing with a lot of people after a couple of hours, so it will be nice having a place for some quiet time.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

See you there. Know what you mean about groups!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Don't forget to take Friday off. See you all in 3 months.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

A friendly reminder.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

I'm so down for this, assuming I can find a carpool from SF again like last time.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'm sure you will have no problems. Looking forward to it!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

If you put me down (I was very tentative to start with), please cancel.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

This all sounds great, but what with a trip to Utah the week prior and one to Adak (Aleutian Islands), the week following, it would be a bit much to spend all the weekends of the month away from the family. But a few memories:

It was a gourmet backpacking trip in 1992, kind of the antithesis of UL BPing. Three rules: Bring a gourmet dish. Wear formal or semi-formal wear for dinner. Bring a toy. A really stupid toy. Someone brought a basketball and backboard and set up a half-court game. "The man who killed Pluto" (Mike Brown) brought an 8" reflecting telescope. The first human to (later) entangle more than two photons brought his med student sister. I married her 5 years later on a beach of Tomales Bay on the east side of Point Reyes. I brought ice cream sundaes on dry ice and MSR-fired hot tub (some people helped me carry the parts).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Just about 2 months away now. Hope everyone is having a great summer.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

5 weeks away. I will be needing vehicle license numbers if you are staying with me in the group spot. You should know if that is you or not. These need to be on record for the park staff. Carpool if you can.

I'll get an official list when we get a little closer.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Heads up. One month.

Do we want to do a pot luck?

I have a friend bringing fresh oysters.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Getting close.

Those of you staying in the group spot, I will need your license plate numbers for park staff if you are parking overnight.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Hey Ken,

Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it this time. Everyone else have fun though!

rowan !

@romonster

Ken, is there anything you need help with?

We will be arriving at Point Reyes late Friday morning. (We have a private site reserved.) I'll be there with a friend who has been backpacking for just a couple of years and has mostly traditional gear, and a brand-new backpacker. I believe this will be his first trip. I've been backpacking for about 5 years (not as often as I would like, though) and still consider myself a newbie. So hopefully people will not mind sharing their knowledge with newbies!

I'm especially interested in checking out various shelters and hearing about their good and bad points, as I plan to replace my tent with a lighter shelter next year.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Rowan, I am all set.

We'll see you at the next one James.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

On the fence about coming? Need a spot for the night? I have a few spots open. PM me if interested.

And geez if you want to come by for the day, that's fine too.

Can hardly wait to see everyone!

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jim and I plan to come by for a few hours on Saturday, probably late afternoon and staying into the evening. We'll hike out after dinner rather than spending the night. Eager to enjoy the company of new friends.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools