Topic

New Gossamer Gear Kumo pack Dyneema X

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Gossamer Gear Kumo pack Dyneema X

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

It looks fantastic though. I think the price bump is somewhat justified…it's using dyneema now. Something's got to pay for the higher quality fabric. It's right in the alley (in both volume, and price) of the ULA circuit. THe main difference between the two packs is the weight…which more likely than not can be attributable to the Circuit's beefier suspension and hipbelt.

However, ULA construction is flawless in both aesthetics and technique. I'm curious to know if GG's has improved….as their older offerings left a lot to be desired. By the looks of it, these new 2012 packs that we are seeing are miles ahead of their old offerings. Look, they even curved the attachment point of the gorillas shoulder straps!

Although the price appears steep, I'm inclined to think that it's not outrageous by any means.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Well, the link to the gorilla disappeared and they dropped the price on the Kumo down to 150. Interesting…

Rich S

@rich-s

….MLD, Ron, are you listening, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't change. Please, please, pretty please.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

There is a reason that the only source in the world (thru hiker) that openly offers dyneema X is out of stock- it is an excellent material for those of us that make our own packs.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I dunno, having used a dozen or so packs made out of the dyneema x type fabrics, and made a few, I'm not thrilled with the material. Compared to Dimension polyant's offerings, I just don't see the appeal. The durability and waterproofness just isn't as good as the various xpac fabrics imho.

Every pack I've used with dyneema grid fabrics showed coating delamination after levels of use or time that I didn't feel was heavy, let alone extreme. Not to say that the fabric started falling apart, but I think laminates hold more potential for high strength and long term water resistence.

Sorry a bit off topic.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The pack body is the same size as the Murmur. The zippered pouch, AKA OTT lid, is a nice touch. It has a bit heavier waist belt and slightly larger front pouch (due to it being angled.) Very similar to the Miniposa in size, except the extension collar has been reduced. This is partially offset by the fact that you can put something larger (say a bear ball) under the top cinching it down. At about the same weight it looks like a viable alternative to the Miniposa. For me, I like a 2800ci pack or around ~45-46L. The listed 2200ci or 35-36L is a little small for 10 day trips. But, I will simply need to be extra carefull with packing stuff. The hydration sleeve is a nice touch. It lets me keep "flat" stuff in there well organized. Several times I have needed to set the tarp up for an hour or two of heavy rain, for example. It is handy to have the stakes, or pot lid, aluminum foil, maps, flash light, and so on. The material is Dyneema. A funny designation, I agree. Maybe the coating?? The improved durability of this fabric over silnylon will make this pack nice for long hikes. I never had much luck with coatings either.

I think the size will be a matter of over stuffing, and looking for smaller volume gear to get the 20-25lbs I need for a week or so trip in either pack. A week to 10 days is about the worst case without resupply. Generally, there are resupply points at several locations about 4-5 days apart through the ADK's. (Early season is a bit more difficult.) A lot of times the small stores don't stock a lot of dehydrated foods…I end up buying what I can instead of what I want.

I am not sure about the confusion with the prices. What I saw was ~165, now on sale for a bit less. As always, I am sure they will sell it for what the market will bear (grrrr.)

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

I really apreciatte the GG evolution in design and finish. Sadly the price bump seems too much :-(

I still remember ancient times when Glen explained that GG tried to offer affordable products…

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

From looking at the photos of the Kumo they have made a really nice and original designed pack that not made out out flimsy sylnylon that will last only a season, the side pockets are not made out of mesh so they will not catch on brush. A detachable 1 3/4 inch waist belt. AND IT MADE IN THE U.S.A.
    I am even thinking of getting one.

Gossamer Gear has also bitten the bullet and sourced their own lighter weight 140 denier dyneema grid stop fabric. Made the contacts with ITW/Nexus to purchase the only available overseas till now Lineloc 3 WSR buckles. And have even been nice enough to sell us Lineloc 3 WSR buckle to the MYOG guy. Now if I could get some 140 denier dyneema grid stop from them for some MYOG projects.

I really like the direction Gossamer Gear are taking in making lighter more durable product that will last more than one season.
    Kudos,
    Terry

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools