Topic

New Gossamer Gear Kumo pack Dyneema X

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Gossamer Gear Kumo pack Dyneema X

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/kumo-superlight-backpack.html
    Smaller and heavier than my MYOG pack, but looks cool!

Edit: Dyneema G ?

Chris Calpin
    BPL Member

@adrnlnjnke

Locale: N.E.

Does look pretty cool. I'm just wondering how that top zipped pocket will work. Seems like you lose space once you fold it over.must only hold small items, first aid or snacks or something.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

It's a heavier-duty Murmur. An extra $25 gets you 6 ounces – more durability, more comfort, and a couple little features.

GG's pack line needed a makeover, and while I don't think these are standout packs, they're surely competitive in the 2012 marketplace. Good on them for keeping up while continuing to offer core features and little helpful touches to their gear. Unfortunately, though, they've lost the "affordability" that also was one of their hallmarks.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Wow, the Murmur used to be, what? $80?

I wish they would keep the old with the new, but thats asking for far too much.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I like everything about it except the top zipper and the price.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Indeed. It seems like a sweet pack, but at that price you could pick up a Burn.

Or hey, save some money and pick up a Jam 35 for 99 buckaroos.

Kiyoshi Young
    Spectator

@kiloloop

Both this and the new murmur look really nice but what I'm really hoping for is a redesigned Gorilla made with the new dyneema, flap top and new shoulder straps. That for me would be an almost perfect desert pack.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Kiyoshi,

Your wishes for the new Gorilla have been granted! Phil Turner, a Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassador based in Scotland is testing one right now. Look for it to be released to the public soon.

Scott Simcox
    Spectator

@simco

Locale: Nashville

My MYOG is bigger and lighter, too.
    But this looks WAY better. I'm sure they could shave off a few ounces if you get rid of a lot of the straps and cords.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

A new Gorilla you say? I'm intrigued, Joe. Tell me more…

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I like it, very refined aesthetic, cool features. My biggest and continuing gripe with the GG pack is the shoulder strap design, I.e. the straight across, sewn into the seam design, and I can't help but feel that its a compromise based on build simplicity.

Shoulder straps need angle IMHO, otherwise they're painful. I loved the dimensions and features of the Gorilla when I had one years back, but it was always causing me neck anf back pain regardless of the loads.

I would buy this new Kumo pack if it had angled shoulder straps that were reasonably spaced apart. That's my money where my mouth is.

Here's hoping the new gorilla straps are better, and that the features filter down.

edit: changed "size" to "dimensions" for clarity.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Javan, I'm completely with you. I absolutely hate sewn across strap construction. To me, it's a sign of laziness/cost-efficiency, and detracts a very considerable amount from carry-comfort. Honestly, manufactures need to cut corners elsewhere. Although many people didn't complain, or actually enjoyed them, I found that the Mariposa/Gorilla straps were terrible in comfort and design. Glad that GG is using anatomically correct straps now. Hopefully, they are angled at the connection point as well.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

+2 on the lack of R&D. GG, ever heard of the upper trapezius muscle?

Edit: They could be angled, doesn't really look like it, too bad I can't check one out in any retail store to find out.

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

I was talking with Gossamer Gear last fall, and they mentioned they were working on a new Gorilla which would be the size of the Mariposa. They were going to call it the "Big Ape".

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I don't mind the sewn straight across design all that much. I've had packs with and without it and I never felt it was a huge deal. Now I may be different because I insist on a hipbelt that actually takes weight off my shoulders. I never liked carrying much weight directly on my shoulders.

Here's my gripe. I want a better hipbelt. I feel like a lot of UL hipbest do a poor job of transfering weight to the hipbs. I think a Maraposa made of Dyneema X with a better hipbelt would be a winner.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

As an owner of a G4 and an older Murmur, and a GG fan, I am watching the prices of GG rise steeply with some dismay. I also find the design of the new Murmur and this new Kumo more gimmicky. GG is getting more expensive, less attractive and a bit heavier. I am not saying they have jumped the shark and gone all Golite on us, but I like clean, light weight minimalist gear, without weird zippered lid pockets and angled mesh. Their product lines, especially the packs and shelters, looks muddled. Who is buying their discounted day pack? Or their heavy bear bag set-up? I just ordered an X2 pack from William at Altered Ego with similar specs to the Kumo that promises to be 4oz lighter, simpler and cleaner, and costs $60 less. I would have also gone for a Zpacks Zero with a few additions or a much cheaper MLD Newt before this new Kumo.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I don't think its a bad looking pack but the market for sub 1 pound frameless packs seems kind crowded right now so I don't think this pack will be a cash cow for GG. On the other hand I imagine the cost of bringing it to market was relatively small.

I think GG should concentrate on improving packs like the Gorilla and Maraposa. Lots of comapanies make light frameless packs. Not as many make packs like the Gorilla or Maraposa. I think with some improvements (mostly to the hipbelt) these packs could carry weight a bit better and be real winners.

Kiyoshi Young
    Spectator

@kiloloop

Awesome, now I just have to wait to get one

Marcus Strohm
    BPL Member

@afterburner2020

Locale: SE Texas

http://gossamergear.com/gorilla-2012-ultralight-backpack.html

Wonder if the current Gorilla will get discounted…

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

230 bucks?! I think I'll pass…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Where do you get $230? I saw $165, or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Edit: Ah, you're talking about the Gorilla, I was talking about the Kumo.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Sorry, Doug. Should have specified that the $230 is the price for the new Gorilla.

The Kumo is comprable in size and price to the MLD burn, but man oh man, $230 for a 46L pack?

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Looks beautiful….but is heavier and way more expensive than the old version.

*waiting for old version to go on sale*

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

Wow, I told myself that I would purchase the 2012 Gorilla as soon as it was available, now I am not so sure. Heavier and more expensive, but very nice looking… hmmm..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools