Topic

Sleep pad for side sleepers.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleep pad for side sleepers.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jarod Fleming

@flemdawg1

Locale: SE US

I'm returning my BA Air Core for the 3rd time, and thinking about starting over with something else.

Looking for some reccomendations for side sleppers.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

NeoAir.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Neo Air.

Jarod Fleming

@flemdawg1

Locale: SE US

The reason I' hve to keep returning the BAs is because of them leaking (however I can never find them even in a bath tub). I don't nessacarily think I'm careless with my gear.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Exped SynMat UL7

Consider using a 1/8" foam pad underneath, such as the pad sold by Gossamer Gear. I might do that myself if I ever get a puncture.

Keegan D

@nageek18

Locale: Bay Area

If you are worried about punctures, the nemo astro air is super durable although you pay with it with more ounces.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I too suffered three consecutive BA Insulated Air Core pad failures due to tiny leaks.

My wife and I have each used a Thermarest Prolite Plus for the past two years. Mine is 20 x 47 and hers is the longer woman's model 20 x 66. Both pads are 1.5 inches thick. Works like a charm. Tested and proven by us on the TRT and the CT. Great back pad/virtual frame for our packs. Very comfortable for side sleeping (and rolling). Never leaked.

Try one on the concrete floor at REI. Toss. Turn. Whatever. You can't feel the concrete with shoulder or hip (unless you fall on it that way).

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I tried just a Z-rest, didn't work. I tried z-rest plus torsolite, better but still didn't sleep that great. Picked up a Neoair, best sleep in the backcountry to date.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

+1 on the Exped SynMat UL7

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

I still own (and sometimes use) my old, 1984 Thermarest. My wife broke down and bought me the Prolite, which I liked, but my hips got sore from side sleeping. I gave it another week of sleeping and finally broke down and bought the Neoair. I've not had a bad nights sleep since! I did discover a tiny puncture, but I patched it and was back to blissful slumber within minutes.

The size and weight is also a plus…

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Another vote for the Neo…

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I rotated back and forth this spring between the Exped Synmat UL 7 and the Neoair Xlite. The Neoair, in the end, is enough for me in terms of comfort to weight ratio but the Exped is definitely far more comfortable hip-down, and also larger and sturdier.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've had my small NeoAir since they came out. I had to sent that back as it had a pinhole from the get-go, CD sent me a new one, no issues since. I have a floorless Squall but use a medium weight GG polycryo groundcloth.
    Duane

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

One word. Hammock.

R S

@rps76

How does a hammock work for a side sleeper? That doesn't sound comfortable at all.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am a side sleeper and moved to an inflatable Neo Air two years ago. Due to the cost and reliability issues, I bought it at REI. While REI can cost a bit more, their return policy is excellent. My Neo Air failed on a trip last summer with the typical slow leak that was impossible to find in my bath tub, much less find and patch in the field. I returned it to REI and spoke with the staff. They suggested I try the Exped UL 7, as it was appearing to be returned less often then the Neo Air. I know this is purely anecdotal, but I regularly cruise the gear garage at the REI Seattle Flag Ship Store in Seattle, and see a lot of Neo Air returns being sold but never any Expeds. So far so good for my UL 7. I take along a torso pad (a cut down old Z Rest) as a back-up that doubles as my frameless pack's back pad and as a sit pad. When my Neo Air failed in the middle of the Pasayten Wilderness the torso pad was less than luxurious but help salvage my trip.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

A hammock works for side sleepers as well as it works when there are no trees.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Side sleeping comfort in a hammock depends on the user and which hammock is chosen…..just like CCF pads vs inflatable, etc.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

On the ground, Neo.

A lot of side sleepers, myself included wind up sleeping on your back in a hammock. Since it is not like sleeping in a bed with pressure points, you might as well. Try it.

Hammocking for 12 years.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Another +1 for the NeoAir Xlite or Trekker.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Trying a hammock is a great idea. You'll either love it or wish you loved it. :)

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

OK, you side sleepers; how do you sleep w/o getting a numb arm after ½ hour?
    I always get a numb arm on my neoair (and prolites and all CCF) so I’ve just been sleeping on my back or front.
    Thanx,
    -Barry

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

has anybody tried rei's new insulated inflatable pad, the stratus? 20 oz with R value of 3, but regular size is only 75 bucks.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I just bought it. It seems like a real steal compared to the Neo air. I haven't tried it out yet though. I am a little concerned, its construction suggests it will have cold spots. The guy at rei said when you lay on it, the gaps squish together and prevent cold spots. Compared to the Neo Air trekker it is cheaper, lighter, and has a higher r-value. The other neo air's are better in one of the metrics but not the other two. Durability is hard to quantify at this stage for any of the mats.

Combined with the 20% off coupon and REI's guaranteed I figured I will give it a try.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

That i'm going to get one too, with the exact same reasoning. Why not? REI will take it back if its not quite satisfactory, and if that happens, then hey, I'll be halfway to having enough for a synmat UL 7.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools