Topic

ticks in your gear while you’re in the bug bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ticks in your gear while you’re in the bug bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    [ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

On my last trip to a Ca coastal area I purchased a bottle of Sawyer's Permethrin for around $8 and it worked very well to kill a couple ticks we found.

However, you can get a large bottle of concentrate and make gallons upon gallons of spray for much much cheaper. This is a 32 oz bottle.. some reviewers recommend 1-2oz per gallon, so you can get at least 15 gallons or so out of the concentrate, which should be good enough for years of backpacking treatments.

http://amzn.com/B003IMO3I2

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

>"you can get at least 15 gallons or so out of the concentrate, which should be good enough for years of backpacking treatments."

At which point it's worth asking how shelf stable this stuff is. Does anybody know if stored permethrin loses its effectiveness over time?

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

"At which point it's worth asking how shelf stable this stuff is. Does anybody know if stored permethrin loses its effectiveness over time?"

A cursory Google search points to 3-5 years if it's stored in non-extreme temperatures or environments.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools