Topic

Tents: What is green and open on both sides?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tents: What is green and open on both sides?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Here is a solo two door tent that is green.
    http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2011-gogole-tent

Also, this is not solo, so it doesn't meet your requirements, but it is really nice green and has two doors!

http://www.rei.com/product/797208/nemo-meta-2p-tent

Ron W

@miles2go

Locale: White River National Forest

I could likely list 20-30 two-person tents which are open to views and ventilation in two directions, sold in green.

Also, I'm not looking for a tent but if I found one as described that I really like, I would buy it. If all of the gray lightweight tents were offered in green, I would have already bought one, I'm sure there are many others in the same boat. I've strongly considered the SMD Trekker and the LightHeart Gear Solo. I've also considered having another zipper installed on the non-door side of my Hilleberg Unna, which would allow me to stow that fly panel. To me the little bit of added weight would be well worth it, if I could have the work done at the same quality in which Hilleberg builds their tents.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

So what do you think about that Gogo LE that I also posted? It is solo, has 2 openings, and is green. I actually had never heard of it before looking for it for this thread. It's actually quite a neat shelter.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

One person tent, open on two sides, green. Eureka Backcountry 1. I don't know if that fits the "broadly" open on two sides requirement.

http://store.eurekatent.com/backcountry-1-tent

Eureka

Ryan

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Nice find

Ron W

@miles2go

Jon, that's neat but you can't sit up in it. Another class I'd say. Nemo has some interesting takes on classic tent shapes. I think their green is a little too much toward neon.

Ryan, impressive that you found that one but I think it falls short in the open department, on the back side.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPdLAoGDXgs

We're holding at the following 5 tentmakers:

Six Moon Designs: Scout/Trekker

LightHeart Gear: Solo/SoLong 6

Mont-bell: Crescent 1

Luxe Outdoor: Mini Peak/Speedup

Black Wolf: Mantis 1

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Jon-

Yeah, only the two narrow ends are open not the broad sides. Not too bad considering it's Eureka though.

Ryan

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Alps Mountaineering Mystique 1.5 (green rain fly)

Alps Mystique 1.5

Coleman Libra X1

You would have to double check on how open the opposite side is. The tent has a little green.

Libra X1

Ron W

@miles2go

LOL. I was probably on the Alps site about 30 minutes before you posted. Aside from that "Hey, over here!" orange the Mystique 1.5 looked like a low buck close one, but just for the hay of it I checked for video and it doesn't look so green in real life. Good effort on Alps' part.

I saw the Libra X1 early this am and thought it would blend in nicely on the shoulder of the road somewhere. :)

Both solo tents with a little green on them and open on both sides. I like the approach on the Alps tent; a copy of the MSR Zoid 1.5.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

I actually own the Alps Mystique 1.5. It isn't the lightest tent by any stretch of the imagination, but I bought it because of the side entry, dual vestibules, and the extra space on the inside of the tent. Overall I think it is a good product at a good price point.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Technically a tarp becomes a tent when you set it up.

I find that the most comfortable tent in hot muggy weather is one made from a tarp.
    You have lots of pitch options from very open on multiple sides to very closed down to protect from a blowing storm.

If the weather changes in the middle of the night, it is easy to fix.

If bugs are an issue, a bug bivy or bug net inner makes a tarp into a four season shelter.

You can't beat the flexibility of a tarp.

Of course most people are never going to want to take the time to figure out the skills to make a tarp work for them, so they are limited to a less flexible shelter.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I personally dislike green, especially bright green. I like "silnylon gray" which is a greenish-gray, and blends in quite well with the landscape.

My ZPacks Hexamid Twin is listed as "olive drab" which is actually fairly close to "silnylon gray," but lighter. At least it's not bright! It is definitely not the garish green shown in the photos on Joe's website!

Ron W

@miles2go

"You can't beat the flexibility of a tarp."

Sure you can. It all depends on who you are and what's important to you. I have a tent or two that can do all the things you mentioned with ease, which I have no problem carrying. I can leave them pitched at 8,700 ft elevation in the mountains during summer storm season with some or all of my digital gear without having to even think about it. When I get back from my travels, I don't need to mess with it to change configurations. For me, that beats the "flexibility" of a tarp.

I'll add that there are plenty of members of this forum that have been enlightened users of tarp shelters, know how to use tarps and no longer rely on them for shelter. To each their own, right?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Ron,

In a word, Yes.

Hike your own hike!

I started with an A frame tent, moved to a hammock, went to a tarp & bivy and now own a Lightheart Gear Solo tent.

Last October on the AT I slept in the shelters and never once set up my shelter.

Party On,

Newton

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

The same old so what teaser. Why green?Musical Chairs but no real party. Why this green? Yeah I hauled this for years and I was glad to retire it once it stunk. Bulletproof , but you had to be there back in the day to choose it vs. a canvas tent to understand what it was. Green sunglasses a cheaper option. My Coleman Peak 1 Cobra is just not Emerald so be it for the better. Perhaps you are a Katydid fleeing a Praying Mantis or refilming Predator?
    http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/product-archives/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/tents/eureka/alpine-meadows/prd_76752_2955crx.aspx

Ron W

@miles2go

Indeed Marc, it's a good value and one of the classics from Walrus.

Walrus Zoid 1.5: http://tinyurl.com/6qwckax

So is yours green as shown on the Alps Mountaineering page or gray?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Ron,
    While two doors are ideal for two people, the addition of a second door on a solo tent just adds weight that is difficult to justify. My preference for a rear cover is a permanently closed vestibule, accessible from inside the tent for storage, and that can be pointed toward the prevailing wind when pitching in an exposed area. A common example would be the rear of a Hubba, and the many others like it, if the vestibules were a little larger and accessible from inside the tent. This creates storage other than where it blocks access through the front vestibule, and the larger, less vertical rear cover is more wind shedding.

Adding a few more square feet under the rear cover has a negligible weight penalty in these days of Cuben; but a zipper is a zipper, and after poles, they are one of the major weight makers.

Glad you found two of what you were looking for in the BPL class. Tent designing involves balancing a multitude of factors and priorities, so is a good and enjoyable way to keep the mind active. Kudos to those who come up with products that are true improvements.

Ron W

@miles2go

"The same old so what teaser. Why green?Musical Chairs but no real party. Why this green? Yeah I hauled this for years and I was glad to retire it once it stunk. Bulletproof , but you had to be there back in the day to choose it vs. a canvas tent to understand what it was. Green sunglasses a cheaper option. My Coleman Peak 1 Cobra is just not Emerald so be it for the better. Perhaps you are a Katydid fleeing a Praying Mantis or refilming Predator?"

Nice one there John. Let me finish this drink and I'll see if that reads any differently afterwards.

Ron W

@miles2go

Hey Samuel: Yeah, a second door on a solo is excessive in my opinion as well but I'd take it if the tent checked all of the other boxes and that second door was the only way to get the advantages that come along with it (more venting, etc.). With your example of the MSR Hubba, if they just made some way to raise that flat-side fly, that would do it for me. Opened views and better venting without much weight penalty.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Ron W

@miles2go

Wow…that scared me. I think it still does! :)

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

It is a grayish green. Here is a picture of it in camp. It really makes the orange standout.

Alps Mystique

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools