Topic

Ridge Camp, West of Mt. Baldy, 3/31 thru 4/1/2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Ridge Camp, West of Mt. Baldy, 3/31 thru 4/1/2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Adan Lopez and I bagged a quick one for some cold-weather gear testing, high winds, frozen fingers, and discovering the Jarlsberg cheese is killer in the mountains.

Report and pics here:
    http://sweepingthegarden.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/ridge-camp-west-of-mt-baldy-331-412012/

Cheers.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Awesome report. Enjoyed the read and pics. I've definitely done a couple "head out because there's a storm coming" and there're always some moments where you second guess it but it's always worth it (a gorgeous morning helps).

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Craig,

I enjoy your blog very much.

I like how you and Adan pushed it that night, and I'm glad the gear did its job! Sounds like tasty food, great comraderie, and a beautiful morning.

Thank you for sharing!

Todd

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

Nice, Craig. Thanks for sharing. It's great up there.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I love my MLD SoloMid for solo winter adventures, it's nice to see others using this great shelter. Thanks for the TR.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

On the slope below camp:
    Above the Bowl

Camp is up there somewhere:
    Ridge camp

Bejeweled:
    Bejeweled

This fool didnt bring waterproofs:
    Self

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ah, another excellent adventure.

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Craig,

I had a couple questions about conditions. Snow looks light up there right now. How deep was it? Did you use crampons at all? What technique did you use for staking out your Mid?

Thanks in advance. Hope we can hook up soon.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

We got maybe an inch on us in the night. North slopes have maybe 2-3 feet of base, everything else less depending on exposure.
    Getting wet and slushy by 11AM, temps are rising fast. Pretty good for climbing in the early morning though.

I brought crampons but left them in the car, did everything in microspikes. Crampons would've been nicer on the steeper stuff, but given the mixed conditions, I didn't want to worry about taking them on and off constantly.

For staking the mid I used 6 SMC snow stakes.

There still should be some good climbing and snow play up there if you can get out over the next week.

We'll definitely get out. Keep in touch.

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Great, thanks, Craig. look forward to it.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Wow…significant difference in condensation (albiet it, frozen condensation) between the Solomid and Moment!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools