Topic

New: TSS Titanium Field Scapel: Self Sharpening UL Blade: Pre-order price.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New: TSS Titanium Field Scapel: Self Sharpening UL Blade: Pre-order price.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

When you develop the folding version I am in!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

This is pretty interesting. My only suggestion would be to make some that have a stick tang and then put some kind of handle material. That would make it much more usable.

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

Edited for google safety. Hurray for sheaths of all kinds.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I don't suggest repeating that anywhere she's liable to see/hear it Cody, and I'll just say for the record, that I wouldn't recommend any of you refer to your women as "sheaths" if you want to continue living. Obviously Cody's woman is a saint for putting up with him… ;D

I'm waiting for a shipment of materials, but I hope to have a reasonably professional looking solution to the sheath problem.

All pre-orders will ship with a sheath for the same price. Afterwards the price is going up some to cover the extra labor if you want a sheath.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Update; As usually happens, right after receiving a batch of material to find a solution to a problem, I find the solution elsewhere.

So all the less than ideal plastics I got, are a waste, since I found a supply of lighter material specifically designed for sheath applications. I'll post pics as soon as I have a final sheath. I'll probably be offer two options, one super minimal and lightest, and one with eyelets that'll offer more attachment possibilities.

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

Any updates?

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished knife and sheath combination. Any updates???

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Apologies to all who've been waiting, apparently I've got a reputation of lethargy to uphold.

I am not finished with these. I'm working on them now, but I've been sidetracked by "other projects".

I'm done with the bevel and carbide on Ruta Locura's skinners, so if anybody is interested in that profile, contact Josh, they should be available.

For the scapels, I hoped to have my mill delivered and cutting slots by now, but it isn't, so I'm having to file them by hand, which is labor intensive. At this point, if anybody that ordered is tired of waiting, email me, or pm, and I'll issue an immediate refund. Otherwise, I should have pics of a finished package in a day or two.

Thanks to my patrons, for their support, and patience.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Ok, so after a two day blackout, and ruining another of these tonight since I'm still having to drill and file the slots, I'm going to put these off until the end of June when my mill is actually on site.

I apologies to everyone, but since I didn't get enough interest to fund a run at the waterjet, and I'm unable to mill the slots, these are costing me more than I'm able to currently make.

Everyone that pre-ordered, I'll issue a refund this week. I'll still send you one of these when I can afford to make them economically, at no cost.

Thanks for the support, but for now I've got to move on to something profitible.

Anybody interested in something like this in the meantime, Josh should have the skinners available now or very soon.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of Javan's creations. They are VERY nicely made and I am surprised at both how well it cuts and how well it has held up. I can cut anything from a single sheet of paper to skinning a branch. Very sturdy, well sized and 8 grams…no complaints here.

Anyway, here's a link to my website with some additional pictures but the info is just copied and pasted from his first post. Enjoy.

http://www.suluk46.com/UL Titanium Knife

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Missed this the first go around. I think it looks brilliant. Still selling them Javan?

Ian Armstrong

@ajoker2

Hi love the design, are you still selling or planning any future runs?

Ben Feldman
    BPL Member

@fenbeldman

Locale: Bay Area

keep us posted!

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Unfortunately haven't seen Javan around on the site in a number of months, a big loss for the BPL community. If interested, it may be worth trying to contact him directly. I was gifted one of his early prototypes, and it is a very functional and lightweight design, great for food prep, cutting cordage or packaging, cleaning fish, etc.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Sorry guys, I haven't been visiting the forums lately.

If anybody is interested in these, let me know. I've been so busy with non pack related projects that most everything else has been severely back-burnered, but if there's interest, I can get a run of blanks cut out for these.

If anybody needs to get ahold of me directly, I'm always available at javan.dempsey "at" gmail.com

Marc Loomis
    Spectator

@th12t33n

Hey Javan its marcus, And like i said in Emails you can count me in for 4 of the ti scalpels. If anyone else would like to as i noticed a few wanted to take a shot, id suggest you get your order in now!

**edited i actually need 4 now**

William Roddey
    BPL Member

@draickin

Locale: Southeast

I just sent you an email stating interest in purchasing one of these.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Cool well, looks like there's plenty of interest to justify a run of these this time around.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Javan,

What kind of gear are you making these days?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Mostly damascus, and custom knives, various jigs and tools. I'm pretty heavy into smithing and general machining and fab work.

Sitting at the sewing machine was fun and all, but uh, gets old. I like playing with the big boy toys. ;)

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Bought one of your quilts from Eugene Smith and really like it. Nice workmanship. I would be interested in one of these scapels also.
    Thanks.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Thanks all, looks like we've got plenty of interest this time around to justify a run.

I'll work up a CAD this week and see about getting the waterjetters cutting the blanks. I'll still be grinding, carbidizing, finishing, wrapping, and sheathing these by hand, but not having to cut and mill each one will make the process a lot faster.

I'll update when I have news.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Hey all, just wanted to update:

I haven't dropped the ball on these, but I'm really busy getting ready for Blade Show in ATL at the end of the month, trying to finish some knife projects so I'll at-least have something to show off to my friends, even though I wont have a table.

Once that's over with, I'll focus all my efforts on getting these scapels ready.

Sorry for the delays, but progressing my skills as a bladesmith and steel maker, is my primary focus for the foreseeable future.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

Whenever they're done, count me in!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Finally getting around to these. Made up a small batch last night, making more all week.

Final price is $100 shipped, for the cord wrapped, sheathed version. I'll try to get in touch with everybody that asked for one, and if I have any extras, I'll post here.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools