Topic

SnowPeak 600 – stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SnowPeak 600 – stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Jay
    BPL Member

@standupdouble

Hey Everyone,

Up until now I have managed to avoid bringing a stove with me on trips. However, I have decided that I want to give freezer bag cooking a shot as I believe it will help me save space this summer in the sierras where I will need a bear canister. I currently own a snow peak 600 and am considering my options. I would like a system that fits inside my mug. The only option I have been able to find is Flat Cat Gear's Snow Leopard Jr. Does anyone have any experience with this?

http://flatcatgear.com/page11.php

I was hoping Trail Designs had a solution but unfortunately they cannot build a fissure cone that will fit due to the location of the handles on the sp 600. Does anyone know of other manufacturers, setups or myog possibilities?

All the best,

Brad

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

Not familiar with the Snow Leopard but I'd consider a Gram Weenie PRO or maybe Tinny's new BIOS Micro.

http://end2endtrailsupply.com/Gram_Weenie_PRO.html

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=147&idcategory=2

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

small tealight cup for stove. Use foil tape (inside and out) to make lip about 3/16" higher so it holds more fuel. = 0.05 oz

MYOG stand of wire mesh hardware cloth, make a cylidrical shape about 2" OD x 2" tall. Clip out most of the wire, you dont need it all. = 0.22 oz. If you use galvanized, take a propane torch and burn it off once and for all, (just dont breath)

MYOG windscreen from Al flashing, tall enough to still fit in pot. = 0.45 oz.

MYOG stiff foil lid from pie-pan bottom = 0.07 oz. Use a bit of al foil tape for handle.

Use rubber band to hold lid on in pack = 0.04 oz

total = 2.8 pot+.07 lid+.45 wind screen+.22 stand+.05 tealight+.04 rubber band = 3.63 oz.

will boil 2 cups on 0.6 fl oz, (0.5 oz wt) of fuel in about 8-10 min. Getting the height from the top of stove to the bottom of pot is critical, should be about 1 1/8" If memory serves me right. Flame will just cover complete bottom of pot.

everything fits inside easily with room for matches, lighter, and other miscl things you might want to put .

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bradley:

Canister stove – SP Gigapower stove will fit nicely.

Or use an alcohol stove instead to cut weight even further. The SP 600 is a relatively narrow pot. I recommend pairing it with a non-pressurized, top burning stove.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Fancee Feest, Venom Super Stove, Cobalt Blue Soloist, BudLyte Super Stove and the Mini Fancee Feest stoves are available at http://www.zelphs-stoveworks.com

All work very well with the SP600 small diameter pot/mug

jacko vanderbijl

@jacko1956

Locale: Shelley Western Australia

I fit my Evernew Titanium stoveset inside my single wall mug so it should fit your Snow Peak. It is an excellent little set (I got mine from end2end) but it needs a bit more wind protection quite often. A bit of foil as a windshield would be worthwhile addition.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I currently own a snow peak 600 and am considering my options. I would like a system that fits inside my mug. The only option I have been able to find is Flat Cat Gear's Snow Leopard Jr. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    http://flatcatgear.com/page11.php

The trick with a narrow pot like a SP 600 is to not waste heat by having the flames just go up the sides. Integrated systems like a Snow Leopard Jr. will help you do just that.

I visited the FlatCat Gear shop a couple of weeks ago, and I was very impressed with their designs and in particular with how well the integrate things. Jon, the proprietor of FlatCat is a very knowledgeable and thorough engineer. I think he's making some really good stuff based on what I've seen. I'm currently reviewing the Bob Cat system. I have not reviewed their Snow Leopard line, but I'm very impressed overall with what FlatCat is doing, and if the Snow Leopard line is anything at all like their Bob Cat, then it's a solid product.

Now, I happen to like efficient, integrated systems. However, I see that there are a lot of good DIY ideas here in this thread. If you like to fiddle, it looks like their are plenty of ideas to choose from. I also see that Dan has listed some of the stoves he produces. I haven't ever used any of Dan's stoves, but you may want to investigate those as well.

Lastly, you could use a gas stove. I think gas stoves aren't terribly efficient with such a narrow pot, but they do work, and you can increase the efficiency if you turn the flame down a bit. You want to avoid flames spilling up the sides. Something like an MSR MicroRocket (which has a very narrow flame) might be a nice option for for a narrow pot like the SP 600.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Jim, you might recall my MYOG post about a year ago, describing a windscreen for my SP Giga stove and SP 600 pot. I found that this setup was VERY eficient at a low flame output (comparable to a Jet Boil, but slower). The link to that thread is below.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45927

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Jason Klass has some suggestions too out there, search for his websites and videos.

I believe that many make alcohol stoves overly complicated for virtually no benefit.

A simple tealight is ultra-efficient, ultra easy, and ultra cheap with the SP600, you dont need to measure fuel you can see how much you put in, and there is nothing lighter or easier, no priming, etc.

Truth be told, the windscreen design and flame coverage has the biggest effect on efficiency with all alcohol stoves.

After trying a bunch of others with a 1.3L pot, I came to the same conclusion. A larger tealight will boil 4 cups of water in my evernew 1.3 in 8.5 minutes, on 1.1oz fuel, and thats outside, not in the kitchen. It will do 2 cups on …0.6 oz also, in about 5 min.

Supercat could not even bring the 4cups water to boil in the same amount of time, on the fuel it would hold.

One trick you use with tealights is simply to put a bent piece of metal in it to conduct more heat and speed up the burn. You can make it faster if you want, at the expense of efficiency sometimes. I use a bent piece in my larger tealight , it cuts about 3.5 minutes off the boil time for 4 cups.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Thank you for your interest in the Snow Leopard Cooking System by FLAT CAT GEAR (www.flatcatgear.com). Recently, Brian Green did a review of our Snow Leopard Original system (http://www.briangreen.net/2011/11/flatcat-gear-snow-leopard-cook-system.html). Although it was not stated in the review, Brian also has the Snow Leopard Jr. system. The Snow Leopard Jr. was specifically designed for the Snow Peak 600 and the windscreen, stove and heat shield will pack inside the mug. There are several other product reviews that are ongoing and should be published in the next few months. If you have any additional questions or comments, feel free to send me a PM. Jon

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

I know I am late to the party but I would love to know how the bent metal is arranged in the stove.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Richard,

If you simply curl a a thing strip of aluminum into a spiral and lay it on its side in the stove, you should get some heat conduction back to the fuel which will make the stove burn hotter.

Generally though, you don't want the stove to burn hotter. You'll burn through more fuel per boil if you make the stove hotter. If you want fast boil times, you could go with a canister gas or white gas stove. Particularly the Reactor and JetBoil stoves are known for fast boil times. Most people go to alcohol to save weight and are content with slower boils.

You may already know all this; I apologize if I'm stating the obvious.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

I use a superstove for alcohol but for wood one of these 2.8oz stainless woodstoves works every time.

sp1

sp2

sp3

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Brent
    Where did you get that stove? I want one too!

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

That wood stove is pretty slick. Is it a DIY job?

HJ

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Brent really does nice work with stainless steel. I have one of his creations and they are 100% high quality wood stoves. Built to last a lifetime. Excelent craftsmanship. Makes them himself, no cnc out sourcing. I can boil 2 cups of water with one load of wood using his design. Excellent design Brent. Bravo!

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

Thanks for the quick informative response.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Thanks a lot Dan. I just got a few new tools in my "shop" and Im hoping to start making many more stoves.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Brent
    You probably want to get rid of that old stove since you have the shiny new tools to make new ones.

I would be happy to get rid of it for you. I will even pay a "disposal fee" to get it here.

Ben

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

lol. That's very kind of you, Ben.

I look forward to seeing more of your work, Brent.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“A simple tealight is ultra-efficient, ultra easy, and ultra cheap with the SP600,”

M B,
    I like your idea of adding foil tape to increase its height/volume. How does the t light do at 0F?
    Thanx,
    -Barry

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Thanks Ben,
    Ill shoot you a PM.

Currently I am making stoves that closely fit and on one load of wood will boil the volumes of a very wide range of pots from short and squat to taller pots like the Snowpeak 1.4L

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

in the interest of avoiding a boring work project, I mean, of testing empirically claims made re stove efficiency, I've been testing various claims about simple stove efficiency as they come up here.

Today's test: the tealight simple stove. Pot is an 11cm stainless steel pot I have.

Very warm day today, water starting temp about 71F, so the stove got a real handicap starting the test, this is the warmest day, with the warmest tap water, I've seen here for a while.

500 ml, about 2 cups, water tested.

16ml fuel measured accurately, brings on a warm day, no wind outside today so couldn't test that claim, water to 204F at roughly sea level.

Everything is optimized for efficient boils, I put the tealight on a can top as base because they get so hot they will burn wood (which I have discovered in the past testing them) on a base of wood. Heat shield has a roughly 0.4 inch gap between pot and screen. Also the base raised it high enough to have the proper distance from pot with my pot stand. Screen is 4" high.

This same amount of fuel would give a full boil on a colder, much colder, day, with colder water, with an optimized penny stove, in-pointing jets, and the boil would last a bit more, not a lot, but a bit.

So the stoves are not the same re efficiency, but the basic point is true, the tealight is very simple, though too fragile for my taste, and unknown how it performs in wind. It also should be used with an insulating base because it gets very hot, very, hot enough to char wood under it.

Best efficiency for any stove I've seen reading but not personally is 12 ml to boil 500 ml water, someone else said they could not reproduce that, and could only get 13ml.

So you do get an efficiency boost, not sure about swirling winds however on top of wind screen, I tested the penny stove outside on a stream valley with the winds blowing down the valley floor, as they do, and it had no visible impact on the performance of the stove, the flames are strong and didn't even slightly flicker or waver.

The claim above re tealight efficiency was 20ml (2/3 oz) boils, but that's a lot more fuel than an efficient alcohol stove needs to boil a narrow pot, so that it's not even worth testing that amount in my opinion, basically anything will boil 2 cups using 2/3 to 1 oz (20ml/30ml) of alcohol. You start seeing actual efficiency and wind performance in more complex stoves. 18, 19 ml brought 2 cups plus to a boil outside, in wind, and kept it boiling / cooking food, for almost 5 minutes with the penny stove for example. In other words, bring water to boil, toss in food, bring water to boil again, then boil for almost 5 minutes more. That's a fairly major difference in efficiency. I'd used a bit extra fuel because I wasn't sure how it would handle in actual steady wind, turned out it seems to make no difference, which makes sense because the flames are jets, not just flickering loose flame.

But, as with the fancy feast stoves of jim wood, tealight stoves are easy to make, that's true. And if a roughly 25% to 30% difference in efficiency doesn't matter, which really it does not over a shorter hike of a few days, then the ease of use is a good plus. personally I think I'd go for a slightly wider, and stronger, can like an energy drink can cut down to hold 1oz or so. I suspect efficiency of the tealight might be improved with some screen/insulation added, not sure, that's sort of what some other very efficient stoves do, like the starlight.

One thing I did note, as I burned my hands trying to move the pot mid boil, is that the tealight, like any uncontrolled flame, gets very hot and made the sides of the pot very hot and made the air above the pot VERY hot, that's why it's less efficient, the penny focuses the heat tightly and you can actually grab the pot by the top edge without really burning your hands. So there was a lot of heat rising up the sides of the pot, much more than with a tightly controlled jet like a penny.

And that's where the actual efficiency difference comes in I believe. All the efficient stoves somehow control and regulate the fluid boil/flames and keep them from shooting up too much heat that isn't used for actual pot heating. The uncontrolled stoves just hit a max, vaporize and burn less efficiently, then peter out. Easy to make, yes, a huge plus, efficient enough, yes, I'd say so, particularly if modified with insulation or something. I'd try an energy drink can, it's stronger and not too much bigger. Might work, don't know.

But really, 2/3oz, close to 1/2 oz – ie, a 30% difference in fuel consumption a day, 1 oz plus a bit vs 1 1/3 oz, but on a short trip, speaking realistically, not a huge difference per day. Per week, significant. I do wonder how a tealight stove works in real wind though, my guess is not very well. The tealight, obviously, is also a major fire hazard from stove tip overs, being full unenclosed, and because if you don't use a true insulating base like the top of a pop/beer can, you can literally burn whatever is under it, something I suspect would not make the park services etc very happy. Insulating base solves that, but makes the stove more complex.

Mission accomplished, now off to work…

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

Brent,

I really like that stove. I've made a few DIY woodstoves based on a similar principle, but mine aren't nearly as refined and didn't utilize the hardware cloth stand. It looks like you either sell these or are planning to? I just wanted to find out for the future as I didn't see any info on your profile or You Tube channel regarding how someone might acquire one. Its not like I could use one immediately anyway as my local mountains do not allow open fires at the moment and only pressurized gas stoves are permitted. But it has me intrigued as far as use in the Sierras if and when I can get up there.

Back to the original OP, my "cat can" style alcohol stove boils 2 cups of water in the Snowpeak 600 in under 7 minutes using 1/2 oz denatured alcohol. I made it with an aluminum travel sized shaving cream can cut to 2" in length, with the holes punched 1/2" below the rim on center. I used this narrow can to tighten the flame pattern for the mug and focus the flame on the bottom. With the windscreen, its about as efficient as I've found as far as alcohol stoves for the SP 600, but it presented some obvious stability concerns. To stabilize it, I've glued (JB Weld) a flat round base to the stove to widen the footprint and made a pot stand out of hardware cloth similar to the one seen on top of Brent's stove that is the same height (2") as the stove so that the mug sits on the stove to self pressurize, but is stabilized by the pot holder. The stove weighs .3 oz with the base, not including the hardware cloth. Just another option. Like Harold, I tried the tealight in various configurations and could not get a boil with one load of fuel, nor could I get it to boil in under 12 minutes.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

I was lucky enought to get my hands on one of Brents stoves. It is a work of art. It also works very well. I am going to have alot of fun with this one!!

The stove, pot, lid, "sippy lid" and stock mesh sack weighs 6.6oz

Ben

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools