Topic

Cylinder Stove Specs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cylinder Stove Specs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Rodger

If you have been through the process, as have I, as have many here, quit acting like you dont understand the subject matter.

So you do, or you dont have an opinion, as a free born individual? I know you do, I've read it a number of times, as have many people on this board. So the opinions are reserved to be sold as "state of the market" "reports" or as "technology" "reports", but they are not excersized on the forum? Or are there some exceptions based on circumstance?

Maybe there was a time when those opinions, sold as something more than, were worth something. My money says thats no longer the case, and is clearly evident.

And yes I'm expressing my opinions, and I'm not dancing around that either.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Barry

Thanks!

It can be fascinating to trawl through the patent data base, and the Google access seems to be vastly better than going direct to USPTO.

Apart from the many wierd and wonderful variants disclosed, what did strike me after a while was the fact that those older patents were no more than a couple of pages of text, with a couple of diagrams. Compare that with some modern patents which manage to exceed the size of an encyclopedia.

Cheers

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

"Compare that with some modern patents which manage to exceed the size of an encyclopedia"

Hmm, I wonder why, could it be that the sum of the parts that made older patents obtainable, were simple and fewer. But with allot of ground being covered, in design and innovation over time, showing novelty requires more. No, NM, that cant be it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Josh

If I understand you correctly – yes, I have opinions. We all know that! And I am happy to post them too. Feel free to shoot them down.

What is the difference between an article and a posting on a Forum channel? Fair question.

I would say that an article is much longer, has numerous illustrations, and has to be far more 'composed' that a posting. It can take me many months of work to develop all the data for an article – some of my stove testing articles illustrate that very well. The layout and grammar and clarity have to be worked over into 'good English'. Wandering around the subject, or going OT, is not acceptable in an article. In fact, I try to write my technical articles to a standard comparable with a paper published in a refereed science journal – but in far easier-to-read English!

Postings … well, we do wander a bit OT at times, don't we all? That's OK for the Forums. Also, many people can contribute to a Forum discussion: that's what the Forum is for, after all. I learn quite a bit from other people's postings.

Cheers
    Edited for grammar and spelling…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"The layout and grammer and clarity have to be worked over into 'good English'."

Spelling also.

–B.G.–

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Bob, It is spelled correctly.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

I learn allot from posters here too. I learned that them there "Red indians" built the perfect tent, it could not be improved upon in any way. But I am baffled as to why they did, based on North American weather reports that I recently read, they did not even need tents.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bob, It is spelled correctly."

Josh, what year did you drop out of school?

–B.G.–

David Lowry

@huskyrunnr

Hey, I remember seeing the first cylinder stove in 2007 I believe, driving through Utah on my way home after pulling the plug on my brain-dead father. I remember thinking how it was a huge leap over anything out there. Several years later, I copied it, but I did NOT go into business with it. I did give one away though, and the guy ended up posting a link to TiGoat rather than copy the design. I was glad to see that.

This whole thing reminds me of when I was a research scientist, groveling for money by writing Federal grant proposals, getting them uniformly triaged, and then seeing my ideas in print about a year later by several other groups. It eventually put me out of that business.

Life goes on.

Josh, you stayed silent on this for much too long. I was wondering what the hey about all this. Hope that thing I sent worked out for your family.

Vaya con Perro,

Red Indian

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Bob

I'm pretty sure dodger is spelled correct, is there an alternate spelling?

No I dont spell very well, TBIs can do that to you, oh well.

"Josh, what year did you drop out of school?" Officially or unofficially? Officially and completely in '95, though I did not attend much from ~'92-'95. I had my first engineering job in '97, I beat out 19 other applicants. I should probably clarify, I dropped out of an alternative high school, the 19 applicants had degrees. In 2008 I tested in the top 1% of graduate MEs(job requirement). I did not even get a T-shirt though :-(

What year did you get your degree?

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Lowry

Nice to hear from you, she loved it, especially once we convinced her it wasn't a ladder ;-) I'll be in touch.

Funny, you dont look "red".

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Josh, it was Roger that started this off with his use of "grammer."

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Well of course Roger is a grammer.
    Only you United Staters are ouncers
    (yeah, alright, Burmese too. Mind you they are also slowly metricating themselves…)
    Franco

David Lowry

@huskyrunnr

Yeah, not so "red" looking, there's that, and we also used longhouses, not tipis.

Send me a smoke signal over the ether. I'd love to hear from you!

To the rest of the community, lot of interesting stuff here, but I'm afraid I'm the antithesis of UL, so I've not much to offer. Fun for me to lurk and learn though…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Well of course Roger is a grammer."

Or, is that a grammist?

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well at least he didn't throw in an extra "u"

Of cors its juust a forim post and i nver miskspell anythin either.

;)

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools