Topic

Polycro Bathtub!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Polycro Bathtub!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    David Scheidt

@dscheidt

It's used for window insulation because it stops air infiltration around poorly sealed windows and window frames. It has essentially no resistance to heat transfer, other than by preventing air movement. So, no, it won't keep you much warmer if you use it as a ground sheet or bathtub, except if it keeps you dry.

Kathleen Prince-Sayward
    BPL Member

@kps143

Locale: Eastern

So, I may not have this right yet, but I really liked my most recent trip with a bigger than my tarp size piece of polycryo. I used my trail shoes in two of the corners and then took the poly and folded over the shoe so that the corner was raised. I used tallish rocks on the other 2 corners and did the same, so the poly is now raised in all 4 corners (folded up and inward over the object) Then for the sides I just folded over around a few sticks and viola, 2 to 5 inch berm all the way around. Sadly it did not rain to test it ;)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Kathleen: Nice! I'll remember this. Especially as I just experienced a small creek of rain water and hail flowing under my tent during a seven hour thunderstorm.

Polycryo: it's made out of mournful parrots, obviously. Poly-cry-O! there's just an utter lack of scientific sensibility on this forum.

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

And here I came expecting a method for backcountry bathing and getting clean… Actualy I recall reading of someone taking a 55 gal black garbage bag for that purpose. You put some warm water in the bag and climbed in and cleaned up! I never tried it, but at lest you'd be out of the breeze.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

"For a nation that regularly butchers the English language, eg aluminum for aluminium,…"

Hey now, the English chemist responsible for naming it used "-um" before settling on "-ium."

At any rate, I'm happy with either ore.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools