Topic

Polycro Bathtub!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Polycro Bathtub!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Locale: Northern California

Was wondering if i could melt/cut polycro (neatly) into a bathtub floor without sewing, because i hate sewing. and i'm too lazy.

polycryo is a plastic base right? so it should work…

anyone have experience with this stuff?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It seems too thin to heat bond. Why not use double sided scotch tape?

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

If you buy your polycryo in the form of window insulation, it should come with a roll of double-sided tape meant to adhere the film to window frames. Should be fine for your purposes, especially if you plan the seams right (ie, stressed in shear, not peel). Heat might be a problem, as polycryo is meant to shrink when heat is applied.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For backyard use sounds great.
    For real world application I would not bother.
    But go ahead, it isn't all that expensive , for the first two or three times anyway.
    Franco
    BTW, it is a made up name , nevertheless it is polycryo

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Guess i need to just buy some of this stuff and start experimenting.

the trick is gonna be folding/cuting the seems in suck a way they don't leek i have an idea in mind (kind of like the way youd wrap a present, no?)

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

why do you say for real world application don't bother?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Real world…

The bathtub walls are going to fall down unless you add more to it to keep the walls up.

Buy your window film from the hardware store or Amazon. You'll get a lot more for less $$.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not answering your question… but just pointing out the the plastic sheeting is spelled polycryo.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sorry, I thought you meant to replace a tent bathtub floor with that.
    If you intend to use it as a disposable groundsheet , then it may just work.
    However without some re-enforcement it will most likely collapse on itself .
    Franco

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

No no. Yeah I have an ID silshelter and I need a ground sheet. and even though if I pitch it correctly in the right location I can probably avoid water flow (or some wind) but I would like the added securitty of a bathtub floor.

though I've never used polycro but heard its great for the weight and price… that being said i guess i assummed it would be rigid enough to hold a 2-5 inch wall because its plastic. So its very flimsy? any suggested improvement to try to hold it up?

Thank you all for your responses!

Gunther

EDIT: spelling and grammer

drowning in spam

@leaftye

It's barely stiffer than Saran Wrap.

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

well shoot…

EDIT:

Ill try pitching the corners of the flat polycryo sheet together to create the bathtub floor with flaps sticking out of the corners (triangles) ill hold that pinch with double sided tape. ill cut holes and make make-shift gromets on the flaps for ties. tie the ties to the roof of the sealing or the stakes to hold the shape… a little more work but the should hold it… I think

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Well, you can fold a raised corner in any sheet material. Turn up the edge of each side of the corner, make a diagonal fold in the corner (this will tend to form of its own accord as you turn the edges up). Fasten the resulting upper triangular flap to one edge or the other; a paper clip, for instance?

However, you may find that a structure like this will cause fracturing of the film in the corner, due to the sharp folds that result.

Experiment with a sheet of paper.

You can make these structures for non-right-angled corners, too, only the resulting 'triangular fold' flap isn't quite as convenient as it is with the right-angled corner (as the corner angle increases beyond 90 degrees, the flap gets narrower, and rises above the turned-up edge).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice idea, but the stuff is thin. Even if the corners stand up with some sort of reinforcement, the sides will droop. I had marginal success trying the same with Tyvek. Note that most bathtub floors have some toggle-and-loop hangers to keep them in place.

The trick with a plastic ground cloth is to make it a little oversize and roll the edges under, creating a small berm.

If you want to experiment, I would use duct tape in the corners.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

> Nice idea, but the stuff is thin. Even if the corners stand up with some sort of reinforcement, the sides will droop.

That's true of almost all groundsheet materials. At least of any groundsheet materials that I'd want to carry…

As you say, the walls will need supporting by something (like they are by the inner tent with a sewn-in bathtub).

The folded corners suggestion was to allow experimentation without committing the film, or for ad-hoc use in the field.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Just put some smooth sticks or rocks (if no sticks available) under the edges by a couple inches. This will keep the edge off the ground and let water flow underneath the edge. Involves no cutting, taping, or bonding.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

Sorry to time-waste here , but I just had to jump in. For a nation that regularly butchers the English language, eg aluminum for aluminium, acclimated for acclimatised, etc, how can anyone complain about polycryo becoming polycro. I think it's a neat devolvement.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I dislike the word 'polycryo' — I even lost a bet (beer) on this one time — thinking back then that it was 'polycro.!

Polycro just sounds better — although I suspect polycryo is an abbreviated version of a longer, more technical term??

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

+1 to what Robert says. Also: if it's not going to rain but it's windy, you might use those same little rocks to hold down the Polycryo (whatever) and keep it from blowing around.

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

HAHA thanks! polycyro sounds too… biological. polycro just rolls off the tongue… I'm changing the title back to polycro!

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

I'd assumed the made-up name was from its use as secondary glazing; the -cryo bit referring to cold things (although we use it to do the opposite, keeping the house warmer). Then we stick on the usual polymer prefix; poly-

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Heat shrink films are made of Polyvinyl chlorides (PVC) or Polyolefin as far as I know. Polycro sounds good, how about Polygroundsheet or Polyhopeitprotectsmyneoair

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

I protect my Neoair, and the polycro, from sharp objects by putting a 1/8" Gossamergear foam mat under everything. Must work- never had a leak from a Thermorest mattress.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

John: I put down the polycryo, then the tent, then the GG pad inside the tent, under my Exped ul7 mat. One season, no leaks. Both the Polycryo and the GG pad are ridiculously light; the pad is poly-functional. But I'll cryo-me a river if they fail and I spring a pad leak!

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

well it seems trying to create a bathtub floor is pointless or not worth the time and trouble. folding the material in under itself seems like a better plan… and i like the idea of a thin foam pad underneath aswell for added protection. when it comes to air core matts that type of insulation would be great for snow camping too.

one last question. since polycro is used in windows as a type of insulation, does it provide any insulation when on the ground? or does it have to be in a vaccum to actually work?

Thanks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools