Topic

MLD updated

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD updated

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Mountain Laurel Designs is now listing new products on their website.

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

I have spent most of my morning looking at the new MLD website. The new bivies they are selling have some really cool features. I am curious if the new designs with the eVent foot box will cut down on condensation. Now all I have to do is come up with a reasons to justify puchasing everything I want.

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I just dropped the money for a new Revelation and LiteSoul bivy. Everything looks fantastic. Ron has certainly been using his time well!

Trent Hignight

@th_ignitus

Locale: Tokoyo-3

This is my first post. Hi to everyone at BPL.

Just scoped out the new MLD site.
    The Spinntex Revelation looks sweet, for just about the same weight as cuben fiber version, but just curious…
    Why no cuben fiber Revelation?
    Think its going to make a comeback at a later date?

-Trent

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

I was wondering the same thing about why Cuben is no longer being used. The Revelation is now 2100 cu. in. and 3.3 oz. with Spinntex in comparison to 1850 cu. in. and 3.2 with Cuben. There has been a few other changes as well: drain holes in the outer pocket, slightly wider and ergonomically curved shoulder straps; it looks to be a nice improvement from an already great looking pack. Maybe the use of Spinntex was a way of keeping the pack from becoming too expensive, but I don't truly know. I can't wait for mine to come in!

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

We switched from the Cuben to the Spinntex for various reasons. Price was not really a factor as the pack uses a small amount of fabric anyway and non fabric componets are about half the overall weight in a pack this light.

Overall, the 2007 pack is tougher than the previous Revelation and has a larger rear pocket and a bit taller extension collar.

In general, Cuben requires more reinforcements in the stitching areas than a woven (Spinntex .97) fabric and a pack has a lot of stitching. (The sewing needle in wovens tend to go between most of the individual fibers and with the mylar base Cuben it's a hole that weakens the fabric along the stitch line and must be reinforced even more.) By switching to the Spinntex .97, we saved a bit of weight in the needed reinforcement areas and added it back in pack volume and better shoulder straps.

One possbile change in the future. We just got some really tough 1.5oz nylon mesh we will use on the Prophet that looks a lot like noseeum netting but is so tough you can not rip it with bare hands. Using that on the rear pocket of the Revelation may push the weight up .3oz. We might just list it as an option.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I welcome the extra volume in the Revelation. The original was just scary small looking to me. I think I could get my stuff in the new model… maybe :P

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

The new site is a beauty and the new products are tantalizing. One of the real shining stars in my view is the Alpine Bivy. 2-layer (=UL) eVent in a zippered bivy that's half the weight of ID's zipperless eVent models.

Kudos Mr. Bell; I am saving my pennies so I can send them all to you!

Brian

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I agree. Of all the things I'm most interested in purchasing is the alpine bivy, maybe in a wide to fit my -25 sleeping bag for next year's arrowhead 135 race, where our BPL member Alex is running (and hopefully not freezing) right now!

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Ron,

I couldn't find any reference or options to having netting for the Alpine Bivy. Am I missing something or is this not included or an option?

Thanks very much.

Rich

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Hi,

Sorry, no bug net option for the Alpine Bivy right now. I was thinking the Alpine one more for climbers and so I left it stripped thinking that backpackers might like the light weight and features of the Soul Bivy more. Maybe I'll have to look at that as an option in the future.

Thanks

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Nice work, Ron. Very cool stuff. I've got my eye on the Zip pack, and I especially like the straightforward page that talks about the fabrics & other ingredients.
    -Mark

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

I really like the new bivy options, it's making me wish that I had held out on getting a TiGoat one, oh well. The sleeping bags are looking exciting too. All very cool, excellent work!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

.. How did you make the text into an active blue hyperlink? Id like to be able to do that. Thanks!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Brett:

I don't know how to type out the format without the system automatically converting it into a hyperlink. I'll email the format to your yahoo address instead.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

Type the following text into your post:

<a href="http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/fabric.php">Fabric Mojo</a>

and the phrase Fabric Mojo will show up as clickable.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Slick, Doug.

Pray tell, how did you type the string without the program turning it into an HTML?

Michael Mathisen

@mathix

Locale: Oregon

Ron, I am really interested in two of your bivies. The soul bivy looks sweet. I'm curious though about the zipper on the superlight bivy. It ends 3/4 of the way across the chest. I was wondering what the reason was for that? Also I don't see a hang loop on the superlight bivy to keep the netting off your face. Other than that I really love what I am seeing and there is a real good chance you will be getting my birthday money

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Psst…Ben,…shhh…i wanna' tell you a l'il secret. But, you've gotta' promise not to tell anyone else on the Forums. It will be Doug's, yours, and mine little secret.

Here's how type a HTML Anchor markup and have the text appear instead of the link:

just type the following characters to replace the < sign

an ampersand, then an 'l', followed by a 't', and finally a semi-colon. Don't put in the ticks (as s/w people call them) aka single-quote characters.

of course, for the >, just use a 'g' instead of an 'l'.

so,…

<a href="http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html">BPL</a&gt;

produces

BPL

one could also insert spaces b/t the < and the 'a', and elsewhere as required, to break-up the HTML markup, and give instructions to remove those spaces.

here's another not-so-secret secret. if anyone is interested to see how Doug did it, just select the text of his post, and then (most Browser's have this capability) select the appropriate Browser pull-down menu choice or context sensitive (aka "right-click" menu – for right handed mouse configurations) choice to view the selection source.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>just type the following characters to replace the < sign
    >
    >an ampersand, then an 'l', followed by a 't', and finally a semi-colon. Don't put in the ticks (as s/w people call them) aka single-quote characters.

I.e., just type   &lt;   for   <   ("lt" as in "less than") and   &gt;   for   >   ("gt" as in "greater than").

OK, how did I do _that_? Similar trick. Typing    &amp;    inserts the ampersand in the text, where typing an actual ampersand would signal the start of a special character.

Bonus info: How did I put in extra spaces around some of the words above? I used a non-breaking space, also known as a "hard space." Just insert   &nbsp;   in your text and it will honor those spaces when it is displayed. This is useful for indenting lists, too.

And, on-topic, the new MLD products look great!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

We've awaited it patiently. A fresh set of Mountain Laurel Designs gear has arrived. Looks great, Ron!

Mountain Laurel Designs

Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

I like the new site layout as well. I know Ron's going to be introducing more products in the next month or so, but one thing that worries me a little is the disappearance of the super tarps and the serenity shelters. I'd been planning to use a two-person supertarp and 2-person serenity shelter as my PCT shelter this summer. I hope they'll still be included in Ron's product line.

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

I'm sure that Ron can hook you up with what you need even if it's not listed on the site.

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

How many inches of loft are going to be in the new 58, 48 and 38 degree bags?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

HI,

FYI: Updated and additional pics of the Revelation pack. Same specs, just a few construction tweaks that you can now see even better.
    (Forgot to update those pics in the database before launch. All orders wil get the newest one.)

Thanks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools