Topic

Esbit + rocks + wind shield

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Esbit + rocks + wind shield

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

How effective is putting an esbit tablet on a piece aluminum, using rocks as a pot support and a wind shield?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It may be effective if you find the right rocks. That will be the limiting (time consuming) factor.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Very effective. But above poster is correct, since optimal height is important w/Esbit.

It does leave nasty stuff on the rocks sometime, but your aluminum helps.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Yeah, I wouldn't bother. You'll probably waste more fuel by having non-optimum heights than the weight you save by not having some sort of pot support that sets the right height.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

@ken

Would recommend that over the gram cracker?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

With the Gram Cracker, you would still need a pot support. Plus the Gram Cracker is designed for use with the Caldera Cone. Which is an excellent way to go if you are set on your pot choice.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I really like the titanium wing stove. 14 grams for the stove and it is surprisingly durable. Mine came in a 4×5 Loksak for about 14 bucks although I am not sure if this deal is still available:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Survival-Technologies-WetFire-Stove/dp/B002HO6WRM

Wow. I finally get the complaints about Esbit odor after storing 5 tablets in a ziplock for two weeks. Slightly pungent.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Ti tri-wing stove changed my life. I now bring a stove, esbit and snowpeak bowl even on day hikes, 2.5oz total weight penalty including windscreen and bowl (minus the esbits).

I love this stove and esbit very much. No-nonsense.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Is that the 1.6oz bowl that holds 20oz?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

That TiWing stove literally changed my cook kit too.

It fits in whatever pot you use, along w/ foil windscreen, and the combo weighs so little. I love my Caldera but the Ti-Wing weighs less and packs smaller so guess which I bring most of the time?

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

I just ordered one of those, $14 bucks free shipping. Did not know that existed, thanks.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

todd harper: "That TiWing stove literally changed my cook kit too.

It fits in whatever pot you use, along w/ foil windscreen, and the combo weighs so little. I love my Caldera but the Ti-Wing weighs less and packs smaller so guess which I bring most of the time?"

Out of curiosity, what does your ti-wing system weigh? I just got my caldera foster keg. I separated out what I will actually use and carry, and the whole system came out to around 2-2.5oz (would have to double check the exact numbers at home). Seems right about the same weight as was listed by James L. for his ti-wing setup.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

I use my wing stove with a tea candle holder(holds 1/2) oz or so of Heet alc. Works like a charm!

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi Luke,
    I'll use this setup once in a while for fun when I'm trying to go really light. I first saw it on Matt Kirk's blog (an ultrarunner). The distance between esbit and pot is critical to efficiency. In the example below, the pot was too close to the fire. It is easy to throw some small twigs on if needed to extend the burn.

trapper

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Todd Harper wrote: > Out of curiosity, what does your ti-wing system weigh?

My Ti-Wing stove weighs 12g and I have BPL Ti windscreen that weighs 26g. That's my basic set up, 36g (about an ounce and a quarter).

Burning ESBIT type fuels (hexamine) takes a bit of getting used to. Wind can really carry away the heat. I would think that using rocks might interfere with your wind screen. For 12g, I'd go with the ti-wing.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

"Is that the 1.6oz bowl that holds 20oz?"

Hi Matthew,
    Yes this one here:
    http://www.snowpeak.com/tableware/bowls-plates/trek-titanium-bowl-stw-003t.html

I cook in my snowpeak bowl with a foil lid, the wider base makes it really efficient. It is the best TI deal out there at $15 in my opinion.

Mike Hensel
    BPL Member

@mike220

Locale: Northwest

I also love the Esbit ti-wing stove, a year and a half now as my primary stove. The only exception is when the kids and there Freinds are gluing along. Ecconomy of scale plus they can carry it.

The only change I wish they would do is make it more functional with narrow pots. Any thing that isn't as wide as the small Imusa mug sits croocked on the stand.

My favarity pot isn't wide enough. If some one wants to make a custom ty-wing stove for narrower pots, I'll take two.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Thanks, James. I used a gift card for the SP 600ml cup at a good price from a local merchant but the wider base and lighter weight of that bowl look fantastic and the volume is almost identical. I've only test boiled my cup once but the folding handles got hot enough that there doesn't seem to be any advantage over just using gloves or a shirt sleeve to pick up the bowl by the rim. That is an option I will need to try in the future.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I have one of these Ti Wings somewhere but I do not have a digital caliper.

If somebody that has both of these measure the distance between the fuel platform and where a small pot would sit, that would be awesome.

Would let me know if my 4.16 gram QiWiz potstand is pretty close to the ideal height.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools