Topic

hammock in, tent out?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping hammock in, tent out?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

i'm in the process of transitioning
    ground>air
    how many of you no longer own a tarp and/or tent after having made the switch?
    thanks.
    leslie

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

I have and use both hammocks and tents, some locations just aren't suitable for hammocking.
    I prefer to hang whenever possible but some of my favorite places don't have any trees at all.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I've kept my tents and tarps – I find that I need to supply a lot of my buddies with gear and that they don't all enjoy hammocks as much as I do.

I live in Pennsylvania – no shortage of trees anywhere, but there are still people who feel more comfortable in a tent then wrapped up in a "bear burrito."

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Can't hang (legally) in FL state parks, so I spend more nights on the ground than in the trees.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

Also here in FL. If I want to go to a state park (common with the wife), well…

Also, "dynamic stress testing" of hammocks is fun and all, but definitely not something that you want to do in a front-country campground. The wife and I camp together at least a few weekends a year, so, yeah.

Besides, she doesn't want to give up the air mattress when we car camp–about the only way I'll get her out in the piney woods. Not complaining, but it means that we still stay in a tent when we go on trips together.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

+2

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

I actually just got the last bit of gear needed for hanging yesterday and I am not only not considering getting rid of any of my tarps/tents, I'm looking at snagging a lighter tarptent for those pesky "no hang" areas. Not to mention my full double walled backpacking tent (stupid heavy) is the only way to get some friends to try it.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I'll echo Chris' thoughts exactly.

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

hammock on ground

You need your tarp with the hammock. If no trees, use hiking poles to set up hannock on the ground (for bug protection. Just need a small ground sheet.

Kristofer McKenna

@kryoshift

Locale: North Texas

I don't have a tent anymore, but I do have my hammock's tarp to pitch on the ground if I really want/have to.

Don Abernathey

@oldguysrule

Locale: PNW

Well I gave my old Golite lair 2 away. I have a very nice tarp with my hammock, so I can go to the ground if needed. However I don't carry a foam pad anymore so going to the ground makes for a long, painful night.

But if I knew from the start that I was going to be constantly about the tree line, I would just use my tarp, pads and quilt. Tarps are great. But where I play the tree line is about 9500', and I never get above 10K', so it is no big deal to drop down a bit and find a couple trees to hang between. Besides, I don't really like the thunder & lightning theatrics up on a bald mountain top.

Marvin Panganiban

@mpanganiban

I just disposed my tent and bought a new hammock here http://www.mexicanhammocks.com.au/. It was really great!

Marvin Panganiban

@mpanganiban

Mexican hammocks are really great and durable. if you bought your hammocks there, it will surely lasts for so long. I bought mine last two years ago, and I am still using it until now.

Matthew mcgurk
    BPL Member

@phatpacker

Locale: Central coast California

if you go out in rainy conditions you need a tarp anyway just carry a ground cloth and use the hammock tarp like you would any other and your good to go. Plan your camps near water and you find trees. It is a rarity to not have trees by water. That said I still own both because my wife prefers the psycological boundry of a tent so sometimes when she goes I need the tent.

Jack Richland

@blackscoutsurvival

I own 10 hammocks. ENO's, Grand Trunks, Hennessy Hammock, Warbonnet's. I have a tent that I never use. I don't really enjoy tent camping (I spent 8 years in the marines doing that). Tent camping usually requires more gear and hard to get comfortable. In the area I live in it is very temperate weather and doesn't get too cold. However bug nets are a must if you want to get any sort of sleep. Honestly Grand Trunk's and ENO's have very similar offerings. Grand Trunk does have one of the most reasonable mosquito hammocks if your looking for a bargain. Hennessy Hammock's due come with tarps although I personally like Warbonnet's offering the best. I have the Warbonnet Blackbird and RidgeRunner and by far are the best hammocks I've slept in. For cold weather you will need an underquilt and a tarp for rainy conditions. I have reviews of all of these hammocks on my website (www.blackscoutsurvival.com).

When weight is a concern or I just want to rough it I'll rig up a British Army Basha with 550 cord.

Alpo Kuusisto
    BPL Member

@akuusist

Folks seem to make a choice between a hammock and a tent. I think a hammock is a substitute for a mattress, not to a tent.

Behold, a hammock in a tent:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lsAqapuCKec/UHHU_7uLVaI/AAAAAAAAAVs/R9AaEoEptBc/s640/IMAG0197.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ME4Fqhw3p7c/UHHZdpvLotI/AAAAAAAAAWE/4OOPTr7uFJc/s144/IMAG0203.jpg

Detail of suspension line going through tent mosquito netting, no scissors needed:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9ctWnG-ZjyQ/UHHVFA_PFXI/AAAAAAAAAV0/CAMO9KlaJro/s144/IMAG0200.jpg

Yeah, tent has it's virtues but this is probably not very practical. And actually I'm using a hammock mostly because of simplicity and nice views. But I had to test this anyway, maybe someday it will be useful…

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

From an overall weight perspective, you've got to be able to achieve better results with a tarp overhead and a full net enclosure. Carrying a tent AND a hammock really seems to be overkill…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I still own both, but I prefer to hang whenever possible, including in the snow.
    I would not sell your ground setup, unless you have to.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

+1

Brian Reyman
    BPL Member

@breyman

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I still own both – a Fly Creek UL2 for those very rare instances when I go to ground for a trip. Honestly, though, I hang absolutely every time I can. The tent is only for emergency trip backup.

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

Locale: Midwest, US

I like to hang, but I also like to go to ground. So, I do it about half and half. Of course when the family comes, it is tent all the way.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

I'd love to try a hammock, just to see what all the fuss is about, but unfortunately I never backpack without my dog. Dogs make backpacking so much more enjoyable IMHO, almost like having a (little) person to enjoy the experience with, since my family isn't into it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I know folks who hammock with their dogs. At least one even has their dog in their hammock with them (and I'm talking a golden here, not some tiny dog).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hammocks are great with dogs. They can sleep right under you and do better when not closed in by a tent.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools