Topic

How you look when you go backpacking…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How you look when you go backpacking…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Curious if others are conscious of how you look when you go backpacking?

I guess I ask this because I am kind of consciously making an effort to look more normal, out for a walk in the woods kinda look. I'm not sure why, I guess as I get into the whole backpacking light thing I don't want to look like I am making a summit assault on Everest.

Couple things I have done is I am eliminating stuff that hangs from my pack, I am cutting stuff off my pack that I don't need and add to the clutter, I would like to get some nylon pants that are more like regular pants (no zip off, cargo pockets, hammer loop, zippers, etc). All of this correlates with being/carrying less but at the same time I just want to look…less. Not just for others but for myself, for the pictures I am in that friends and family will see. I just don't want to look and feel like I am on some intense survival mission or that I am a walking advertisement for REI. In some ways I think this could help to convey to friends and family that I want to someday go backpacking with, that it does not have to be a survival mission, it is just walking.

Thoughts?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

If extra pockets on pants work better for you, then that is what you need. If I attach something to my pack to increase efficiency, then so be it. I own a god-awful looking orange R1 Hoody, because I saved $40 by buying it in that color than the more popular ones. Right now my hair is too long, as are my finger nails, and my beard is a scraggly mess. On a recent trip my wife pointed out that I had on blue shoes, green socks, red shorts, a blue windshirt and a black vest over it… very poor color coordination. I don't give a Rat's Arse.

Now, I will soon be traveling to a corporate meeting and will have a haircut, manicured nails, professionally cut beard, expensive suit perfectly coordinated with shirt and tie, and my laptop bag will look corporate. This is necessary if I want to keep my job and it does not bother me at all. Unfortunately, in my business, appearance counts and one must adhere to the standards if they wish to play in this arena. When conducting business I do care how I look.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

unless yr the type that wants to pose for fbook photos …

when i go climbing i often have holes somewhere in my clothing …

fashion in the outdoors??? … well only if yr trying to pick up young ski bunnies at groomed hills ;)

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Me!

Thom

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

are there trolls on this web site ?
    this is the closest thing I've seen to a troll on BPL in along time.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

For me, it's function over form on the trail; I'm not trying to make a fashion statement. Any combination of clothing or colors is acceptable if it's appropriate for current conditions. If someone is upset seeing naked people, they can move on down the trail and let me soak/bathe in peace…..or they can strip off and join me.

When trying to hitch a ride or before arriving at a trail angel's home, it's a different story. I shave. I wash my hands and face, brush my hair, and attempt to deodorize the body a bit. I'll change into whatever passes for my cleanest dirty clothing.

In town, I'll find a motel or hostel, then on to a laundry and wash everything but my rain pant and jacket – gotta have SOMETHING on. I'll shower, shave, and shampoo while my clothes are trying to kill the washer. Once resembling human again, I'll pig out on the luxuries available before returning once again to my true hiker trash trail personna.

done

Yes, that's Reds Meadow Resort along the PCT/JMT. Good memory on your part.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i have to blend in completely with my environment. my trail name is Randall.

this post might be too obscure.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

"I would like to get some nylon pants that are more like regular pants (no zip off, cargo pockets, hammer loop, zippers, etc)"

Arcteryx Rampart pants fit that definition and what I wear for backpacking. Lightweight Nylon pants that are form fitting but easy to move in so they don't look baggy.

You can get them on sale sometime for < $70. A quick search on Google reveals some on sale here for $59 here http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/product.aspx?id=3847&aid=12&currency=152&shipto=226

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I believe that along with Ultralight backpacking comes a certain Aesthetic of simplicity. While his post may make it sound the opposite, no one I have hiked with has characterized this more then Nick.

His gear has reached a pinnacle of simplicity, and in that lies a certain beauty to me.

To answer your question, yes, I do try to keep the outside of my pack as simple as possible, and to do that I keep as much stuff from dangling outside my pack as possible. I also try to minimize the number of items in my pack, keeping it as simple as possible. I have yet to achieve the level of Nick, but I am happy with what I have.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler"
    ~Albert Einstein

John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

I understand where you are coming from to an extent, but at the same times, who cares?

I once hiked with a group of guys who wore so much camo a fellow hiker on the trail asked if we were all military. We weren't. We were just a group of guys hiking.

I care more about comfort and usefulness of my clothes than I do about fashion. On the other hand, I do tend to wear more natural or neutral colors when hiking. I don't wear bright colors on the trail or on my gear. It ruins the wilderness some how.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I do appreciate a svelte looking pack

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Not really, though I have a preference for UV resistant tops, and rugged pants. If needed, I can switch to street clothes at the end of a hike before hitting the restaurant. For multi-day hikes away from home, I usually reward myself with a night in the nearest city anyways .. or at least a dip in the nearest hot spring, so I'm changing jnto swim trunks and Tevas, regardless. I'm not driving hours smelling up my vehicle. Figure those thru-hiking the Alps or the UK where wild camping is discouraged (and spending each night in a refugio or inn is encouraged) may need to worry about it more. Might be a form of stealth in those areas. In the US, nah.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

I don't know why this would seem like a trolling post. I think it's something interesting to discuss. There is a thread in Gear where a dozen people have weighed in on how sleeping socks should fit (which is fine) but if we can talk about that I think this is a valid thing to discuss.

I would venture to guess with all the detailed discussion of all the expensive brand name clothes that the majority of people on this site are somewhat interested in how they look or appear when heading out.

I think how you look usually plays into how you feel. So maybe if you dress like you are on a survival expedition does that possibly make you feel more like you are on one? The more I do this the more I want to feel like I am walking, enjoying the sights and sounds of nature. I want to purposefully try to leave my stresses behind both the work stuff but also my stressing about having a backup to the just-in-case to the backup plan. That is part of being a light backpacker so why wear the uniform of the backpacker that is packing all of their fears?

Am I making any sense here? Maybe not, I feel like I am.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Better that I used to …

big pack

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Thom – you are a good example, you look very normal and comfortable. You look like you are out for a walk or a jog. The look on your face, your body language, and your shelter says 'I am out walking, enjoying myself, relaxed.' If I was a non backpacker and I saw that picture I might think 'wow look how comfortable he looks, normal, casual, looks like fun'.

Also that guy Lint in that Oregon video here (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60656) is a good example. If he set his backpack down you would have no idea he was even out sleeping in the woods.

The two examples above are in contrast or on the opposite end of the spectrum of a mental image of a traditional backpacker with a 50+ lb pack, sleeping bag, pad, whistle, compass, watch, towel, and other gear strapped onto the outside of their pack. He is wearing heavy duty mountaineering boots, heavy wool socks and/or gore-tex knee high gators, zip off pants, leg pockets bulging with maps, GPS, etc. Fixed blade knife on hip, bandanna on head for river of sweat pouring down face, boonie hat hanging off kneck strap, trekking poles, possibly a backup GPS clipped by carabeaner to shoulder strap.

Those are the two opposite ends of the spectrum. Imagine what people think when they see the traditional guy. Wow that looks like hard work, that looks expensive, that looks awful. When they see Thom or Lint's trip pictures they probably think wow that dosent look so hard, that does not look too expensive.

I guess I have lowered my pack weight but for the most part I probably carry the look of the traditional guy that is assaulting rather than walking. I am just saying as I buy things, a shirt here, a pair of pants there, I am going to buy stuff that is toned down, less pockets, less zippers, normal colors, less IN YOUR FACE backpacking clothes and just go for a more…I am out walking casually through the woods…look.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

sorry ty ty
    it just never really occurred to me that people were actually serious about how they looked in the wilderness.
    I'm more from the "Nick" side of the fence.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ya, don't really care either. Function over form when backpacking. But here's an idea of what I wear.

Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
    fyi

Just a little further…
    kjhg

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Art – No apology necessary I am not offended. Sorry if I sound overly intense sometimes, my wife accuses me of being an intense person.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

It's a valid topic Ty. I completely agree that there is something beautiful about simplicity. Obviously not everyone buys into the simple approach and insist on carrying as much comfort as possible (whatever that means to them). A person carrying a 50lb pack with stuff dangling everywhere doesn't seem relaxed or simple to me.

This discussion reminds me of a time when I lived in a remote area. I was always disgusted how often I would see people's houses looking trashed out with junk in the yard etc.. No reason being poor means you need to look disorganized. Have some pride in your appearance. I carry that same attitude in when I am out. Having less should make that all the easier to accomplish.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Travis – you look pretty normal too, well not in the second picture but in the first one you do at least :)

Maybe this is just a light backpacker versus traditional backpacker thing. Light backpackers just look more 'out for a stroll'.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Randy – I agree. Pants for example, the less pockets the less crap you can put in there.

Here is me on my last trip (yes yes, the leaves were still on the trees, I know I am going March 24th).

pic of me

If you could see my legs/feet you would see I am wearing $300 leather backpacking boots with thick wool socks. I also came back from that trip with a black toenail and blisters all over my ankles, bought some hiking shoes and have since been on several day hikes carrying my son in a backpack carrier and even with 35lbs on I can promise you I will never wear leather boots again.

But even in this picture you can see I have my nylon (camo) fishing shirt and Columbia zip off pants both with a dozen or more pockets. It's like I bought my clothes from a 'backpackers uniform store'. Since then I have tended to go with a lighter, less rough, no pockets synthetic t shirt, and I want to loose the pants of a thousand pockets (randy will check out those pants). I also am going to cut a lot of the crap off my pack that does nothing but dangles and serves a 'what if' purpose. Like 'what if I ever want to carry an ice axe'. Ahhh probably not.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My hiking, traveling and everyday outfits are one and the same — the only exception is that my butt-ugly convertible pants are reserved only for hiking.

I've always disliked hiking clothes with exaggerated "outdoorsy" look — eighteen-pocket vests and bellows pocket shirts. For me, comfortable, wicking, quick drying and no ironing fabrics make total sense — just choose simple styles and colors and they're good to go — anywhere and everywhere.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

@ Steve – I got the "Randall" joke…One of my favorite movies!

At 6' and 270 pounds, "svelte" is not an adjective that's used to describe me, but I do like having a small tidy pack without things flopping around. I enjoy the looks I get from the "Trads" when I pass them on the trail – It's always something like: "He's awfully far away from a road for a dayhike this time of day." I usually see the most people first thing in the morning or at the end of the day. Sometimes I'll stop to chat and others I'll just say "hi" and keep moving – it just depends.

As for color coordination? I really don't care – I usually wear a long-sleeve black Patagonia R1 on top and grey convertible pants on the bottom. If it's summer and I'm out I might switch to a white long-sleeve R1 on top. If it's raining I have white cuben chaps and a red eVent Packa. To quote a wise previous poster: "Who gives a rat's behind?"

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Really. I am well known for hiking in cotton even. :-P I have little fashion sense and it is OK. White Injini socks, clown like Keen low cuts and hot pink work out tops I wear to the gym are common. Well that was before….

I spent the last 4 years either pregnant, post partum or trying – due to that I was seen in a LOT of cotton, I wasn't about to drop a small fortune on tech maternity clothing (also because none of it would fit my massive baby bellies I get….). So I hiked and walked in street clothing, just with my socks and shoes on.

Last September, out hiking, 4 months or so along with my third baby – in all street clothing:
    Photobucket

Ironically I got so used to not wearing "hiking pants" I have no desire to wear any of mine now. They are so hot – yuck. I can wear them again but no thanks. I think I might keep being crazy and wear normal street clothing when I hike (my wardrobe is pretty relaxed). I carry backup gear and I won't do it in snow or cold rain but hey, I like it.

This is pretty close though to how I look now when I hike (fall of 2010):
    Photobucket

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools