Topic

Windshirt suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Windshirt suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Lee Fitler

@tdilf

I have a Montane Marathon and they are made for runners to go over a thin t-shirt. I love mine but there is no way I could get a down jacket on under it. I have come to appreciate the trim cut of it and will often layer over it. I don't think sizing up you would get much more under it than your older version. I use a rain shell to wear over top of other layers not a windshirt.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have an older Litespeed that is my go to. I like the long length and elastic bottom (and it covers my whole bottom and stays there) plenty of room to layer (don't know about the 2012 edition), its an XL though I normally wear L in mens clothing.

I purchased a Wraith on the sale for a training windshirt (didn't want to wear out the litespeed) I first got the large but it was way too tight with a R1 on so I shipped it back for a XL. The XL is still really tight but wearable. It binds on my EB down shirt where as the litespeed has ample room.

Hope this helps.

edited to add- the pit seems on the Wraith are super tight when layering w/EB down shirt

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I was just browsing Arcteryx's windshirt, and noticed they added Patagonia like colors: http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Squamish-Hoody#Light-Athletic

Gecko Green and Clementine anyone?

Rob Jones
    Spectator

@robj

Locale: Washington, D.C.

Dave – any idea when we may see the SOTMR hit? :-)

I'm convinced now that I need a windshirt and have been doing my research. Close to pulling the plug on the Rab Cirrus. Have good luck with a few of their jackets, plus it's almost $40 cheaper than the Houdini.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I have a Wraith. I love it, and it was really cheap. I got it on steepandcheep for less than 30 bucks.

The full zipper is nice and it's light as a feather. I've been wearing it for about 6 months. I bring it on every run, day hike, overnighter.

David Affleck

@utcoyote

I was in the Patagonia outlet store in Salt Lake City the other day and they had Houdini's in a few sizes on the rack at $87.50.

Just FYI in case anyone is interested…

– Dave

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I have the rab cirrus. I have also owned the houdini and the arcteryx squamish… I like the Rab jacket best. Two generous sized hand pockets are worth the weight penalty to me.

I also feel like the Rab jackets fits me better. I have always found the houdini to be a little boxy.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I also have the Rab Cirrus and also like the fit and pockets. I haven't had a chance to really put it much use as I just got it this past winter. I don't know if you ever saw Hendrik's review with some good pics:

http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2011/09/rab-cirrus-wind-top.html

Also, Prolite.com has them on sale for $87.98 right now.

Rob Jones
    Spectator

@robj

Locale: Washington, D.C.

Thanks for the info.. I did catch that video and review.

Also saw the Prolite deal. Just need to figure out what color :-)

Joshua B
    BPL Member

@leukos

Locale: Indy
    Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

My Montane Litespeed size medium 2010 fits without squishing the down over my Patagonia Sweater medium jacket. It is a noticeable increase in insulation, I'd say equivalent of about 1 to 2 oz more down from a 6oz Litespeed (so its not the reason to have a Litespeed). The obvious downside is the down jacket's pockets are blocked, but if I unzip Litespeed can trade cold hands for a bit less insulation in the front.

These two items are complementary at certain temps as if its dry (litespeed not waterproof, down not waterproof) around 40F, my active need fits the Litespeed and my inactive suits down+litespeed.

I did try my Litespeed over my Montbell Alpine Light Parka. That has more down and it is squished by the Litespeed, BUT it still managed to feel a bit warmer as that Montbell model has large baffles.

I also have (difficult to get in USA) a Paramo Fuera Peak much baggier windproof, it squished the Montbell less and added noticeable heat and that is now my preferred cold-dry combination as the Fuera is a very tough outer fabric.

Montane sizing, I'd say their Litespeed is baggier, their Slipstream is tight as is their Krypton. I'd not say Litespeed is slim, unless they slimmed in in the last 2 years?

If you WANT BAGGY then Paramo Fuera….

Andrew Rosevear

@karmakid

How does the stoic wraiths breathability compare to the Houdini (which seems to be the gold standard around here)? Does anybody know from experience?

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies
    Andrew Rosevear

@karmakid

Thanks!

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

got one on sale for ~$30, it is very nice and I like it.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The current Wraith spec, quoted by its Product Manager, is MUCH less than what I tested on the last five Houdini model years. I haven't tested the 2012 Houdini.

See the the Backcountry.com reviews for the Wraith CFM test value.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools