Topic

Windshirt suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Windshirt suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Andy Blackwell
    Spectator

@vash1012

My Montane Featherlite Marathon jacket had a zipper malfuction so I had to return it. The only problem I had with the jacket is that, when I am wearing it over my down jacket, the sleeves are compressed a bit due to the slim sleeve cut. Since no one is selling any mediums now anyway, I thought about trying a large to see if it'll fit over my insulating layer better without being too baggy on me, but I am not sure. Does anyone have suggestions for other 4-6 oz windshirts besides the Patagonia Houdini whose cost is just too high for me to pay right now?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I LOVE my Patagonia Houdini. If you are willing to wait, they do go on sale (about 20%) from time to time…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have a Montbell UL wind shirt. Was never that happy with it. Fit kind of tight and didn't breath well. Eventually I got a Houdini on sale.

I LOVE my Patagonia Houdini TOO.

Sometimes you have to wonder why so many people like a certain product. This is one of them, it just works fantastic. Sometimes I wear it around town, which ticks my wife off, since I pull it out of my pack and it stinks if I haven't washed it lately.

Just be patient and find one on sale.

Andy Blackwell
    Spectator

@vash1012

Do any of you have experience wearing the houdini over a down jacket? Does it compress the down in the sleeves like the featherlite does?

David Ure

@familyguy

I would bring you back to Montane – I have the Lightspeed and absolutely love it. It is a longer cut, which I like high exposed in the mountains….I do find Montane run a bit small so definitely size up if you plan on layering.

Patagucci is overrated (that one is for you, Eric)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Do any of you have experience wearing the houdini over a down jacket? Does it compress the down in the sleeves like the featherlite does?"

When it's cold out, I wear my Houdini over my Montbell UL down inner jacket. The Houdini has a slim, elastic wrist cord at the end of each sleeve. But there is no compression of the down insulation at the sleeves themselves.

The one caveat: the Houdini's are sized smaller than usual — so if you buy, size up by one size.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I picked up an EB Sirocco about a week ago; it looked like a promising Houdini replacement at a much better price point. (Currently listed at $40.)

Here's the arm; this is with it worn over an EB Downlight Sweater:
    EB Sirocco layered over Downlight sweater on arm

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I have a older (you couldn't tell…at all) Patagonia Helium wind shirt I'd sell ya. Size medium. I'd let it go for $40 or so. Half zip.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

I don't know if they still have any but I just picked up the backcountry.com Stoic Wraith. The bright yellow in large was $27 or something.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i have an older marmot ion hooded windshirt at @ 3.5 ounces (dull orange color size L) i would sell. pm me if you want details…

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I've done this with the Montane Lightspeed over a Nunatak Skaha and it was acceptable. There might have been some down compression but nothing serious.

I can't really tell about Montane sizes other than I'm 5'8", usually a M, and I have a M Lightspeed that fits loose and a S Featherlite that fits me tight, both of them fine in their own style.

This is the Lightspeed over the Skaha:Montane Lightspeed layered over Nunatak Skaha

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

You have to watch it with Montane if you want to wear it over a down jacket.

I bought my first Featherlite Smock several years ago and it's been an amazing jacket. I can easily wear it over my Montbell Down Inner jacket with room to spare (no down compression anywhere).

I decided to buy a new one this year as the old one is looking a little old and I was shocked to find that Montane has trimmed it down considerably. Both tops are size XL but I can barely get a 100 weight fleece under the new one. It's cut very trim. The length of the sleeves and drop tail are the same as the old one but the cut across the chest is much narrower. Unless you are very trim, I wouldn't recommend the Montane if you are planning on layering.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I second the Stoic Wraith (especially for the price). I would definitely size up though if you want to layer. I'm usually a small (sometimes mediums are a tent on me) and my wraith barely fits over my MB Down Inner. Not much compression but I think I would have preferred a size medium for my windshirt. I even prefer a trim cut, but with no mechanical stretch a medium would be more comfortable..

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I have one from GoLite that's probably about 3 oz; it's a zipneck pulover, no hood. I really like it in Fall, Winter, and early Spring.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Obviously there are many options. I personally have the EB Sirocco and love it. It does provide enough roominess to put over a down sweater or similar layer. I also like the hood which provides nice chin coverage as well when fully zipped up.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

That Wraith is nice and light and looks like a great deal. Do you all like it?

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

I like it so far. I won't be getting any significant use out of it for another couple weeks for some spring hiking in Utah. Compared to my Lightspeed it is 2.5 oz vs 6.5. It is definitely more breathable — won't be getting that instant warmth from the Lightspeed but I also won't be putting on and taking off depending on if I'm in the shade or sunshine.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Any chance anyone has both used a Houdini and Litespeed and can comment on breathability and DWR?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The following concern 2012 versions of both:

Litespeed fits much trimmer. I wouldn't put more than a trim 200 weight fleece under the Litespeed, while a light down jacket fits under the Houdini no problem. Torso length is comparable, Houdini sleeve length is a bit longer. The Houdini has the cinch cord in the back of the hood, which makes it more adaptable than any other windshirt discussed here.

Both have excellent DWR. Breathability and wind resistance is pretty comparable.

FWIW, the Rab Cirrus has a slightly more generous fit than the Litespeed, longer sleeves than the Houdini, and excellent DWR. I find it less breathable than either the Houdini or Litespeed.

(Yep, we're doing a windshirt SOTMR.)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I own both the Litespeed & Houdini and like both. Scratch that….LOVE both.

But the Litespeed is heavier and adds a bit more warmth. Added warmth can be good or a hindrance, depending on conditions. I usually don't look to my windshirt for warmth, per se, so the Houdini usually wins out.

The Houdini is more "no frills", which I like, too.

In contrast to Dave's comment, my Litespeed is longer in the torso than my Houdini (both Large), which I REALLY appreciate.

Add to all this that the Litespeed is my preferred jacket around town and I hopelessly can't get rid of either one!

I can wear my Montbell down inner or my BPL primaloft vest under both windshirts.

My recommending one over the other comes down to this: if you want the lighter of the two with no frills other than the adjustable hood, get the Houdini. If you want slightly warmer with extra length and more refined touches, get the Litespeed.

Sorry so long-winded (I tend to be that way)…hope this helps.

Todd

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Thanks for the comparisons. I already have a Houdini which I love, but was considering going a smaller size since I found that my regular medium was a bit baggy, which is the opposite of the majority here. My down jacket (Rab Microlight Alpine) is already windproof so I don't need it to fit with my windshirt, although I did recently pick up a Montbell UL Down Parka that would need it.

The OCD in me wants the Litespeed jacket just to match my Featherlite pants, lol .. Seems like it'd work better for colder weather too than the Houdini.

Chris Wheeler
    BPL Member

@chrisw

Locale: Stratford, Ontario

Around camp I wear my Patagonia Houdini over a WM Flight jacket. They fit perfectly together with no compression of the down, both are a size large. The Houdini helps reduce the wind, making the Flight jacket warmer, and keeps the Flight jacket clean and dry.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I've loved my hoodless golite windshirt on a couple of long trips and several shorter ones, but for my most recent long trip I opted to go with a pretty light (7 oz I think) rain jacket and use that in place of a windshirt. Worked fine; I'm thinking now I might err on the side of doing that in future, unless for some particular trip I want a beefier, heavier rain jacket (in which case maybe I'll eat the weight hit for the windshirt too ?).

Jared King
    BPL Member

@jking

Locale: Middle TN

+1 on the Stoic Wraith

The yellow is on sale at backcountry.com for $28. My large weights 2.4 oz. I would second what another poster said about sizing up if you want to layer underneath it.

You can't beat that price.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools