Topic

Midget backpackers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a midget (dwarfism) successfully backpacking?
    It's a weird question, I know…

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Justin, pass the scotch.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Come to think of it I have not heard of any midget unsuccessfully backpacking.
    But then again most actors are not into outdoor activities.
    Franco

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

I think TolkIen posted a couple of trip reports on another site…

If I remember correctly, there was a group of 12 dwarves (and one hobbit!) that completed the NMET (Northern Middle Earth Trail) that ends at the Lonely Mountain. Granted it was semi-supported along the way. The other was 4 hobbits, a dwarf and some others that successfully completed a thru hike of ME down to Mordor and yo-yo'd back.

They certainly weren't SUL, though to my knowledge, they didn't carry shelters. They had a rather unhealthy obsession with big knives and axes. Perhaps I saw this on a bushcraft site…

Yes, please pass that scotch.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Seriously? We're going to start joking about midgets and dwarves now?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

If you want to see something real about short people and just what they can do and what kinds of daily prejudice they have to deal with, watch this wonderful movie, The Station Agent. One of my favorite movies and Peter Dinklage is a fantastic actor.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Don't get so hot so quick. It is a fair question without malice. I have not. A fair amount of those with that type of condition do usually have some type of health issue associated with it. Respiratory and cardiovascular issues are common. Finding gear that fits too would be a problem, especially packs.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Fair question. I sure haven't.

I wonder though, is it because of health issues or difficulty finding appropriate equipment? Or is it for a lack of desire?

I have noticed that there are certain groups that I rarely if ever see backpacking. Black people are a good example. I've never seen one more than a mile into a park, and I have only seen a few in a park in the first place. Heck, I don't know if I've ever seen one car camping even. Same with Mexicans, however I do see them car camping at least.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

OP,
    no info here

Nick Larsen,

a far as the rest of your post goes, check out this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57781

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I have never seen a midget backpacking.

I have guided a blind person to the top of a peak in the winter. having all the rocks and sticks covered by snow, in a fairly uniform and wind crusted way, made it a bit easier, and she said she had a good time. We had crampons so her grip on the snow was secure, and she had an ice ax to use for support. In those days the ice axes were long enough to be used as a walking stick.

Went backpacking with a black guy once, a college student with a summer job at the place where I worked. We headed off from camp to explore some upper benches covered by snow, and he said the trip was a new and novel experience for him. He was a football player from the East coast so it was good that he experienced some wilderness.

Saw a paraplegic lady on a backpack once. She wasn't carrying a pack, but was self ambulatory by scooting on her butt with her hands. Where was she? At the top of Asgard Pass in the Enchantments of Washington's Stuart Range, 8 miles from the trailhead. She and her party were starting the 1800' descent on a rocky trail to Colchuck lake. That is not an easy walk from any direction.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

So they do exist! Awesome.
    Still seem rare enough that they hardly run into each other…

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

A black guy who likes to hike made a video, I think it's legit (it's funny in any case):

http://www.funnyordie.com/topic/black-hiker

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Black people are a good example. I've never seen one more than a mile into a park"

Nick, A trend for sure, but I'm expecting Eugene to kick my pasty white butt on our Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim next month.

I saw a stunningly beautiful 6'2" African-Cheerokee-Dutch woman at 12,000' on the Whitney Trail in 1982.

But that was sampling bias as I'd organized the trip and she was my GF.

German Tourist
    BPL Member

@germantourist

Locale: in my tent

I have seen a midget backpacker only once and that was on the West Highland Way in Scotland when I was hiking John O'Groats to Land's End. He was with two "normal" buddies and they all looked liked a group of old friends. They were all in their twenties and apparantly having a great time. I met them late in the afternoon and they inquired about camping spots. I don't know how many days they had already been hiking,, but they had at least hiked the whole day – so you have to decide whether this qualifies as successful backpacking.

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

+1 for "The Station Agent". Also, I'm almost positive the word "midget" isn't used in polite conversation for people with dwarfism anymore.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

"….Also, I'm almost positive the word "midget" isn't used in polite conversation for people with dwarfism anymore."

Indeed and dwarfism isn't either.

Joseph Regallis

@backpackandgear

I haven't seen any midgets on the trail, but I think they could hike and backpack if they wanted to. They would have to use children's size for their gear.

http://www.backpack-and-gear.com

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Ben, I had that coming!

Worst part is "midget" derives from "midge", making it esp. pejorative among hikers! :)

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

Justin,

Out of interest, why did you want to know?

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Not being overly PC, but I wouldn't want anyone to be offended by use of the terms dwarf or midget.
    Courtesy, pay it forward!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I am honestly not sure Scott. Just wondered, it would be interesting what kind of gear challenges and physical challenges somewhat like that would go through if they liked backpacking.
    Susan, if that is true, then there must be no way to not offend them without ignoring it all together. Should I call them little people? Pygmy-Americans? Seriously? I thought dwarfism was the medical term.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools