Topic

How’s this compare to most guys/gals?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists How’s this compare to most guys/gals?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Todd G
    Spectator

@todd-g

Getting ready for a group hike 2 nights.

Weight of everything; food, water, clothes, everything = 27.4 lbs
    Weight without food/water = 18.8 lbs

How does this compare with the average? No, I don't have a goal of super UL.

I admit, since it is a group hike, I did throw in two coke's and a little more food than I normally would. This is the first time I am going with a thermarest. If that thing isn't a whole lot better than the ground, it'll be gone.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

My Skin-Out weight without consumables is in the 14-15lb range when going solo. You're not too far off at 18.8lbs; especially if its only two nights and you don't have a weight goal in mind.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

If you are comfortable with it, can hike at the speed you want, and don't have sore pressure points from the pack then you are good to go.

Doesn't matter what everyone else does.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

If you are out for two nights and are hiking semi flat terrain for under 10 miles a day then you are all good in my mind.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Depends on your size as well. I hike with someone who is 108 pounds. I am 210 pounds. 20 pounds mean totally different things to each of us.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I totally agree with what Ken said about relative weight. I started an A.T. thru-hike right in front of a 5'2" average health lady with a 50lb (on the scale) pack that I had to help her lift. I believe she failed to make it past her first night. I also met a 6' healthy male White Mountains shelter caretaker who regularly carries 75 lbs up and down the mountains with supplies and maintenance materials – and he also (successfully) carried a 50 lb pack all the way from GA–> to ME (because, and I quote "anything less than 50 lbs and I'd be out of shape…." (I carried around 20 lbs so go figure). Everyone is different , so find what is comfortable and doable for you – and go with it !

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

2 questuons to ask.

Would your hike be more enjoyable with less weight?
    Can you reduce that weight without losing comfort or spending money.

To answer your question you are light weight compared to the average backpacker. Around here you are heavy.

I would bet that If you post your gear list we can remove 3 lbs from your pack without spending very much money or reducing comfort. For sure you could lose a lb or two. For me being under 20 lbs creates a big difference from 25 so i think it is worth fighting totake off the weight.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Let's see a gear list. It's fun for us.

Todd G
    Spectator

@todd-g

Sure; I'm up for a good lashing. I went out this weekend and had a great time. The pack was very tolerable and actually less weight than most there. We went for 3 days/2 nights. Lots of rocky type steep ups and downs; a bunch of creek crossings. It looks like my sleeping stuff needs the help. I don't know exact weights, I may look them up and edit later.

Bag : Osprey Kestrel 48 , just over 3lbs
    Tent : Eureka spitfire, 3 lbs
    Sleeping bag : Kelty Cosmic down 20* , over 3 lbs
    Pad : Thermarest Trail Small , don't know weight
    Pillow : none

Other stuff:
    candle lantern : I really liked this. Though I only need to bring one candle, not two.
    Optimus cup with trangia alcohol stove. The stove to be nixed, gonna get one of those little burners and small canisters. They will fit into my cup.
    Crocs
    Frog Togg thingy rain poncho.
    Black Diamond trekking poles. Didn't use nearly as much as thought.
    Clothes: fleece shirt, 2 prs socks, 2 underbritches, base layer top & bottom, 1 extra T shirt.
    Food: not much here; 6 tortillas, 4 p.butter packets, three packs jelly, one hot chocolate, 6 packs instant oatmeal, 4 granola bars. 2 small bottle cokes.
    Katadyn Filter, two filled water bottles.
    Folding T.brush, folding hairbrush, small t.paste, contact stuff.

That's pretty much it.
    What I would like help on is the sleeping arrangement. A suggested lighter/smaller compressible sleeping bag. And, another light and compressible pad option (the thermarest didn't impress me much). As far as the tent, I don't want to completely go bare min. here. I am thinking about seeing if I can just set up the fly with trekking poles. Then, it would be no inside and no poles.

I'm ok with the other stuff I listed, but you can tear me apart if you like; others will learn and get new ideas that way. I would be happy to carry only 20 total lbs compared to my 27 total lbs this weekend.

Todd G
    Spectator

@todd-g

Temps this weekend got down to 25* at night.

brian lowe

@gonecrazy

Locale: pacific north west

the best(lightest) way to improve your sleeping quarters is really simple,sleeping pills.I am not really a fan of that but my brother who might spend 6 nights a year on his pad swears by them. sleeping on most of the lighter weight pads is something you just kinda get used to. option B could be possibly buying another pad such as the klymite inertia X pad and just stacking the pads,as you camp more eventually you will feel comfortable ditching one. depending on the group and situation alcohol makes for a pretty good pad too,this could just be my college mentality but its worked for lots of my friends.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

48 litres seems like a lot of pack for a 3 day trip. If you find that you have lots of space left after packing all your gear you might consider downsizing. The six moon designs Feather is 40 litres and 11 ounces for $130.00. If you really do need 50 litres their Swift is only 15 oz.

REI is still listing the Flash 50 at $99.93 http://www.rei.com/product/830582/rei-flash-50-pack-special-buy and 29 oz in its minimalist configuration.

If youre comfortable with sleeping under a tarp you can get one in silnylon that weighs 16 oz or less for under $100.00.

A z-lite 3/4 inch pad is comfortable enough for lots of folks and weighs 14 oz for the full size version at a cost of $35 to $40. They offer other sizes as well.

The Frontier Pro water filter weighs 2 or 3 ounces and costs 25 or 30 bucks. Research this before switching though. Not everyone is comfortable with its capabilities.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Crocs are heavy, almost a pound. Pool shoes or thongs are lighter if you look around and weigh various models or if you hike in trail runners instead of boots you dont need the crocs. – 1 lb

What kind of water bottles are you using? I would suspect they are some kind of nalagene type. If so switching these out for soft sided platy bottles or plain gatorade bottles would save about 6 oz. The lightest katadyn filters weight about 8 oz. Using clo2 tabs or drops would save all that weight – 14 oz on water system

The cokes are really heavy so unless you really enjoy them i would take something powdered. Even cans you are at 24 oz for two cokes

Hair brush i would leave behind or at least at the trailhead.

Your clothing you look like you have an extra shirt. I would leave that behind as you already have your base layer plus what you are wearing.

So you have about 4 lbs that you can cut for free. I think you would notice that amount.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools