Topic

Anyone hike with a cape as rain wear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone hike with a cape as rain wear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

So I've really been into trail running lately and I can't wear a jacket without overheating. But I would like some protection so I don't get completely drenched especially when I stop for a couple minutes to catch my breath.

On my last run I was out for an hour in horrible rain and was perfectly fine while on the move but when I got done my fleece took forever to dry (it's a REI power stretch 200 weight 1/4 zip). It was pretty cold outside but even in my car my shoulders would not dry out. So I was thinking that all I'd need is something to cover my shoulders and maybe down to my ribs. I was going to prototype with just a large garbage bag and cut out a head and arm holes and then cut it mid chest in length.

Anybody have similar experience or luck with an idea lime this? I know some companies make capes but I was going to give the garbage bag a try first. Or I was going to try a Tyvek jacket and just cut the sleeves short and then cut the bottom off and shorten the zipper. My main concern is overheating so it would have to be baggy or loose enough to allow air to circulate.

Ben F

@tekhna

I'm a dork. Huge dork. But a cape is over the dork line for me.
    Also, won't you get tangled in it running?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I tried a cape – MYOG – wasn't really the best fabric but good enough to test

One problem is when it's windy, you really need to have a closed front and sleeves so I abandoned the idea.

Often, if I'm hiking in the rain and it's not blowing from the front I'll just take my arms out of the sleeves and wear it like a cape. That works pretty good. Definitely less sweating.

When my arms are in the sleeves and I'm exercising even when it's cold I do major sweating.

Pit zips are very ineffective at preventing this. I consider this a marketing gimmick but a lot of people report success with this so maybe I should reconsider : )

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I think the Tyvek would be better than the garbage bag. More stiff and would probably shed water better and breath a little better. Having said that, the more important thing would be to toss the Fleece and run in a thin polyester base layer (like Cap 1). Wearing Fleece in rain would be like wearing a towel. Absorbs way too much water.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

ZPacks waterproof/breathable cuben fiber rain jacket
    http://zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No. And after seeing The Incredibles I don't recommend them for super heros either.

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

LOL Ben!

That describes me as well

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Since you mentioned that you run in your fleece and that was all wet, but a raincoat is too hot and/or doesn't breathe enough, have you considered something of a hard fleece with DWR coating? My Acto hard fleece breathes quite well and repels water. it's not waterproof and blocks a little more wind than standard fleece but it might be along the lines of what you're looking for.

Other options might be a wind shirt with good DWR

Lastly you didn't mention what your rain jacket is. Some breathe much better than others. Someone mentioned a breathable Cuben fiber one, but I would steer clear of that. likely worse than what you've already got. eVent is probably better than what you're using. might not be enough though

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hiking with a cape or poncho is the default in Europe.

Cheers

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

I for one would like to see pictures of the the caped runner in action.

Thanks.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"I for one would like to see pictures of the the caped runner in action."

I for one can't believe someone hasn't posted a funny picture into this thread yet

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Hey guys thanks for the laughs on this subject. Don't worry I have no desire to run thru the forest with a cape on.
    To answer some questions above:
    I haven't been running for very long, only 3 weeks now so I'm slowly learning what works for me. The fleece is so freakin' comfortable to wear and it helps keep the heat in pretty well while still breathing. I have a Under Armour top that is pretty thick that could replace the fleece so I think I'll try that next.
    My current rain shell is the OR Zealot jacket. Only 7oz but it is Paclite so it doesn't breathe that well. I do have a First Ascent prototype wind shell but it's made of cheap nylon that doesn't hold a DWR on the shoulder area very well and I'm not about to buy the real production version for the extra protection.

And if I end up making a frankinstein-type cape I'll be sure to post photos :)

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

"Hiking with a cape or poncho is the default in Europe"

You'll not see many (I've never seen any) in the UK….but then we are not part of Europe ;-)

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Under my lightweight jacket I always wear a red cape with a yellow and red "S" embroidered on it.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Or how about not wearing a fleece under the rain jacket? I think the fleece you are wearing is the problem.

Long sleeve base layer with a short sleeve over top of it, rain jacket. If that doesn't keep you warm during a run….you just need to run faster.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I think it would look something like this:

nacho

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Thanks Matthew. Cape looks a little long. what material is it and what's the weight?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Nathan,
    Red Cuben and Unobtainium blend. Because it was helium infused it came in at minus 2 grams below zero.
    The picture is a self portrait from years ago when i used to have hair and was still just a skinny lad :)

Matt

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Those must be the new salomon s-lab boots too. I could tell by the color.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools