Topic

Trekking Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trekking Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Spain
    Spectator

@maspain

Locale: Georgia

Saw this on cleansnipe.com. Komperdell Trekker Antishock Poles $43. http://tinyurl.com/7kk25a2
    Is it really a deal. How do these poles compare with others?

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Re: Komperdells…. At 1 lb 19 oz for the pair that seems ridiculously heavy….unless I misread that part.

I'd go for the Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlock (19 oz. / pair) for $60 shipped from Morsel Munk. They shop is about fifteen minutes away from me and they are the best deal around (that I've found) for a really decent pair of poles at a good price.

http://www.morselmunk.com/products/productdetail/LEKI+Corklite+AERGON+SpeedLock+Trekking+Poles/part_number=leki-t6352153/5152.0.1.1.0.0.0.0.0?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I agree on the weight…if they're really 1lb-12oz, don't even think about it. I have to wonder if that's a misprint.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Skip the anti-shock. Squeaky.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

You should also take a look at Fizan Compact poles. They only weigh 12 oz and for their weight they are pretty cheap ($80).

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I really don't understand the trekking pole market. It seems to me there are four classes of poles:

1. Actually Ultralight (pair- 8-12 oz, $100-200): Mostly small shops like Gossamer Gear; also Black Diamond Distance and a pair by Helinox (Big Agnes brand?) which work like the BD Distance poles.

2. Lightweight (pair- 16-24 oz, $25-125): Most poles seem to be in this range. Take your pick: cork, foam, rubber coated plastic handles; straight or angled handle; twist, flick or some other locking mechanism.

3. "Ultralight" (pair- 16-20 oz, $125-175): This is the bit I don't follow. Why spend $50 more on a pair of CF poles and save literally an ounce on the non-carbon version? Unless there's some reason you'd use carbon fiber over aluminum other than weight, these appear to me mostly a marketing category. :P

4. Heavy – not worth talking about.

My cost-effective favorite is the Outdoor Products Latch Lock poles. Most folks here seem to get them at Walmart, for $12/pole, or $24/pair. Recently picked up a second pair at Walmart $12/pair- not sure if they're being discontinued at Walmart or by OP. Same mechanism as the Black Diamond Flick Lock, with the same patent number to boot. 19 oz for the pair.

After using the first pair of OP Latch Lock poles for a year and a half, I tried out two pair of BD poles that have been recently coming up on SAC a lot lately- the BD Trail Cork Ergo ($45) and the BD Contour Elliptic ($55). I sent the Trail Cork Ergos back to SAC after a week- no subjective improvement for me over the OP poles. Tried the BD Contour Elliptic and am very happy- very strong poles and none of the ground strike vibration/twang I've had with every pair of cylindrical poles I've used.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I really don't understand the trekking pole market."

Well we need to consider that Trekking Poles are not only for UL hikers. Some people use them on easy flat terrain for short day hikes to get a more complete workout — legs and upper body.

The next thing to consider is the locking mechanism for non-fixed length poles. Better designs usually weigh more. So there is a mix and match conundrum. So the lightest material can be somewhat offset with a more reliable locking system.

I recently got a pair for snow shoeing. I wanted the lightest poles available that had a secure and reliable locking mechanism. I got a pair of Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Flintlock poles, weighing 8.96 oz each. Now as a comparison, I have a REI "Four Winds" Aluminum hiking staff that weighs 8.47 oz, but has twist locks. I usually hike with a single staff in February and March, to move rattlesnakes out of my way and do not need the most secure locking system.

It gets very complicated.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Anyone know what the lightest fliplock type poles are?

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Both Leki and Black Diamond flick locks bottom out at about 17-18 oz for the pair. You might find a pair an ounce or so lighter–usually that means some kind of carbon rather than aluminum and some extra cash. For what it's worth, my Leki Aergon Speedlocks were listed at 16.8 oz but came in at 18 even when I removed the straps, 19 with them. I kept them because I got a really good deal, and I usually don't buy BD after the new ownership.

/*/Edited for spelling.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I have a pair of the Fizans and a pair of the BD Distance poles in aluminum. I like them both and, personally, I really appreciate their lighter weights. Both were well under $100 and under a lb for the pair.

I *love* the straps on the BD Distances; they're L/R specific and actually comfortable to wear all day. My only complaint is that they have a mini "basket" that's built-in which always catch on rocky terrain.

I bought the Fizans for when I need an adjustable length (using a tarp, for instance.) I got them from outdoorgb.com (UK company); purchase and shipping went smoothly and received them in about a week (to Michigan.) I see that they're currently on sale for <$70 (compact size) which I think is a great deal. They do have the twist locks. I haven't had any issues with mine but haven't used them in super cold weather, only to about 30*.

REI came out with their "PowerLock" poles last year that have the BD-style external locking system. Cork handles. If the women's poles are long enough for you (extends to 4' I think), they only weigh about 17-18 oz for the pair. They're aluminum, $89 for the pair and would be a good deal on sale or with a discount. REI's return policy is handy for trekking poles.

I wouldn't bother with the "anti-shock" feature.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

"For what it's worth, my Leki Aergon Speedlocks were listed at 16.8 oz but came in at 18 even when I removed the straps, 19 with them. I kept them because I got a really good deal, and I usually don't buy BD after the new ownership."

Which Aergon version do you have?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools