Topic

Orange thingy on JB sol ti

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Orange thingy on JB sol ti

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Doug Reeves
    Spectator

@strawman

Locale: God's Country

I've used mine well over 200 times and have had no issues whatsoever. Love it.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Any product where the consequence of failure is fiery explosive death, even if the probability of it occurring is low, is probably worth worrying about."

(seriously – fiery death?)

You can't determine the probability without knowing exactly what happened and under what circumstances. We have two known failures but don't know what caused the failures and whether:

a.) there was some user error.

b.) there is a design flaw.

c.) there was a boil over (which again, is what I think happened here).

d.) there was a manufacturing flaw in a select number of JetBoils – in this case, the potential for at least two.

Until there is more investigation completed, ideally in a controlled setting, I will reservice my judgement that this is a faulty product. At this point, the probability is not even recordable due to sampling error.

Of course, this is just my perspective.

Ben F

@tekhna

Hyperbole, obviously, but the concerns here are serious.

John Topping
    BPL Member

@johnt

Locale: Peak District

No fiery explosive death in my example (obviously!) but there does seem to be an issue with the attachment of the flux ring to the pot in the Sol Ti version at least.

Mine is now missing ~ one third of the ring with pieces having dropped off last weekend.

* Cool temperatures so the stove wasn't running particularly hot (mine doesn't seem to run any better at or below 0 deg C than any other canister top stove just makes better use of the heat)
    * No boiling over (always tried to maintain at least 1cm clear space at the top and don't leave it alone)

After a few runs at the weekend I noticed that pieces of the ring were loose and cracked and decided to remove them. This got worse over the weekend. If I'd been aware of the possibility of them heating sufficiently to achieve the effect described above I would have stopped using immediately…..

Given the post heating appearance and work hardening effect of the ring material I would have to guess at Al rather than Ti.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

John, out of curiosity how much had you used yours prior to the issues you mentioned?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

This all reminds me of the old "lightweight" Svea 123, which, if it got too hot, released a valve that released a huge fireball!

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

http://blog.bloatedgoat.org/?p=33

Here is another account regarding Jetboil Sol TI failures. Failure #3 is a melted flux ring, which was replaced by jetboil.

This blog post was put up back in october and updated in december when jetboil replaced the failed unit.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

John,

In your photos of the damaged Sol Ti pot, I'm having trouble seeing any damage to the Ti portion of the pot. Yeah, the aluminum heat exchanger is toast, but could you describe the damage to the pot itself? I can see some discoloration (pretty normal for Ti), but what form exactly did the damage take?

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hello All,

I think this issue is starting to get seriously out of control. Not the facts of what happened to myself and the half-dozen or so others that I have been contacted by who had the same or similar issues, but rather the tone of accusations.

To be honest I am starting to be more concerned about this issue from a personal libel suit (towards me from Jetboil Inc.) due to (unintentional on my part) defamatory implications that are could be viewed by my statements.

I have stated all that needs to be said about this matter in previous comments within this discussion. If others who have had this same issue choose to come forward that is up to them – and at least one already has.

As such, I am done talking about this matter.

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

Guess I won't be getting one of these any time soon.

Connie Dodson
    BPL Member

@conniedodson

Locale: Montana

I have had no problem. I have the .8 liter JetBoil Ti.

I live in Montana. It gets cold.

I have had canister stoves without incident. I have seen others fail to screw on the canister until it is snug. That can be catastrophic.

I reassemble all the JetBoil components before I pack it up. It rolls around on my truck, or van, floor no problem. I would think if it got banged around, the igniter could be knocked out of alignment or the heat exchanger could fail. It doesn't get banged around with it fully reassembled.

I do not remove the burner component from the hot water pot.

I do not set it down on a cold surface: not on snow, not an icy rock.

I set it down, after a few seconds, nested in a wool watch cap.

I started doing that, because the heat exchanger heats up fast and cools down fast. I want to keep the water hot, while drinking a cup at a time in that little plastic cup.

Maybe these practical considerations explain why I have no problem…

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

so how do we as owners handle this risk? Is it simply looking at quality of the welding of the fluxrin to the pot? Or do we burn through a canister to see if we have one of the better or the worst builds of the pot? I have one I had to wait on stock for so I'm thinking I have one of the newest made ones.

I'd rather not just think the whole design is wrong but hope its just a few badly made singular units which can be spotted visually.

I guess I should register with Jetboil so they can contact me when they figure this out?

In the short-term, I'm not doing anything other than be aware, keep it away from anything flammable when cooking and simply sit and watch it. To be honest, I was pretty intending to do most of that anyway, but in cooler weather its normal to cook very near the porch. I was impressed with how very little heat came out from the sides, but the "jetboil" name is true, you can't look away, it goes from steaming to boiling over in blink-time (which is what we all bought the JB for right?).

Also, I was intending to burn through a large canister anyway, re-learning how to cook in such a pot, learning more couscous type meals and will make a cosy and experiment with that in lieu of simmering as this thing can't simmer, its simply too hot or flame goes out. I bought a larger canister purely for that learning so hopefully before its used for its been bought for, I'll have eliminated the risk of a bad weld?

Connie Dodson
    BPL Member

@conniedodson

I am not sure these are bad builds.

I never turn up the handle more than 1 1/2 turns because it isn't hotter, it just uses more fuel.

I don't turn it "lower" because there is no "simmer", it either blows out in a breeze or it is JetBoil hot.

I think there has to be more to operator-use than people have said.

I don't force anything when I set it up. I look at the alignment of the nubs and the slots. It goes in easily.

I suspect separating the burner and setting the pot down on a cold surface is the problem. I do not separate the burner, until I am done: everything is cold, cleaned up, and ready to pack it up.

I also suspect using a windscreen down to the level of the burner and the canister, or, having a windscreen too close to the JetBoil. It is not made for a windscreen to be added, for one thing. I put it by a windbreak, at the most.

No canister stove should have a windscreen added down to the level of the burner or the canister. For example, My SOTO OD-1R has a windscreen, they sell, to keep heat off the burner and the canister.

In addition, if I were the manufacturer, the 7 oz "modification" should not be covered under warranty. I would not warrenty any "modification" whatsoever for that matter.

The Jet Boil is for hot water FAST.

I simply use it as advertised. If you want something different, get something else.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

In addition, if I were the manufacturer, the 7 oz "modification" should not be covered under warranty. I would not warrenty any "modification" whatsoever for that matter.

Sigh. Proof that people need to read more and comment less.

No offense meant by that, but read my posts mate. Not just one. All of them. Otherwise, do not go accusing me of falsified data.

Connie Dodson
    BPL Member

@conniedodson

The point I was making is, I would not warranty any modification whatsoever.

I have been reading all along, as you wondered about the RMA and their asking to return it. Have you edited that out? I will go back and look.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This forum thread has been removed from public view until further notice while we research some of the claims and safety issues presented herein.

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools