Topic

GGG lV a huge success

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports GGG lV a huge success

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Chris, thanks. My main concern was the bug shelter. I ordered a Serenity from MLD and was hoping that wasn't it. Thing looks huge.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Whoa! I gotta ask who was rocking the Ikea pack? I've always contemplated building one out of the ubiquitous, blue, and extremely durable Swedish $2 gem. Details! Thanks!!

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Sounds like you guys cranked the awesome up to 11 this year!

I'm so bummed that I had to bail out last minute. From the photos it's evident that everyone had a blast, how could you not with such a great group of people.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That pack belongs to James DeMonaco. It was a big hit.

Thanks Jason. I'll work on my posts, maybe;)

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I enjoyed meeting so many fellow backpackers and seeing all the cool gear. Manfred let me try on his Zpack Exo–thank you Manfred.

I asked Peter Vacco to show me his McHale (never having seen one before) and ended up having a delightful thirty minute conversation. Peter, you're a wonderful character, sweet actually under all that extensive knowledge. And quite the impressive adventurer too.

I got to know Jim when we hiked in together Friday night, and Rick, his friend. And Matt seemed like just another guy till I realized from his conversation that he's a triple crowner. Wow! Quite a group of amazing people we had there.

Thank you Ken, and Ken, and all the other helpers, for putting it all together. It all went smoothly and made it easy for the rest of us.

Doug Coe (like the park…)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Thanks to the the Ken's and everyone else who made this such a great event. I'm glad I finally got to attend once again.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jacob,

Missed seeing you there….you would have been impressed by the number of cameras that people had there.

Eric's shoots were from his Sony Nex5, which turned out great.

I saw a few DSLRs there and one with a huge lens on it.

I started to get a small camera complex walking around there…LOL.

Was a great gathering this year with weather that was about perfect- best weather yet.

Now….I just have to crank out some more photos and I need to learn how to use Lightroom in the future.

Using my old slow way for now because it is faster for me, but I have to learn the new software.

-Tony

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Right on people! It is awesome how grassroots this thing is and that people from all over the country converged for the fun despite Doug not attending. I am bummed I couldn't be there. Hopefully next year.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I had a great trip, but the poison oak I picked up is going NUTS!!

My tick and I are getting along well, though.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

David,
    This will be the last time that I let Jack lead me astray! (Well, maybe not.) I have Poison Oak all over my legs since I was stupid and wore shorts on a bushwack.

But, I had a great time again this year hanging out with all of you west coasters. I learned a lot this year:
    1) Unmaintained means unmaintained.
    2) Bobcats eat chickens.
    3) Milk bone dog biscuits are great hiking food.

Thanks to everyone especially Ken and Ken and all the folks that pulled this together. I look forward to hiking with you guys (and gals) again.

PS. Much to my surprise I thought the kids added a whole new dimension to the festivities. Hope this and spousal participation increases next year.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

On my butt. Nuff said.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Looks like a fun time and a chance to look at everyone's gear. Thanks for the pics.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Man… women get no rest.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"On my butt. Nuff said."

That's what you get for listening to Clelland! ;-)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Kat, When and how did you ever get Poison Oak on your buttock's?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Edited, too much info.

I went pee and made a mistake. I feel lucky, considering..

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

So better toilet facilities are on the list for next year.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"So better toilet facilities are on the list for next year."

They were fine the first day.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Apparently women's pee is difficult for some reason. They have their own spot to pee in at a composting toilet. Those things are weird. The ones I saw were chock full. Chock full.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Kat,You should of used the two bathrooms-only flies and spiders there– but nature calls.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Janitors. Volunteers? Someone's mother perhaps?

Won't have that problem again. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I am very glad to have missed poison oak on anything, but especially the buttocks.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Oh, I'm sure there's one more thing you'd rather not have poison oak on…. :D

James Castleberry

@winterland76

If you go to this address and scroll down you can find some notes about the trip.
    http://winterland76.blogspot.com/2012/02/henry-coe-state-park-feb-18-19-2012.html

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

My daughter Phoebe and I had a great time again this year. I want to thank all those that engaged in conversation with her. It helps keep her excited about going backpacking with Dad. :-)

No problem with the rest room facilities for us. She wouldn't use the wooden pit toilet near camp. We walked up the road to the top of the hill and used the nicer pit toilet. (It's all relative)

On the way home, just as we were leaving the park, we watched a bob cat walk across the road. Nice end to the trip.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools