Topic

Carrying your camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Carrying your camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

I removed the centre extension column and the centre 'spreader'. As long as you have lateral force running down the tripod, the spreader isn't needed. As for the head, the original one is pretty much fixed in place. So I removed the whole centre column that the head is attached to. I then cut off about 1" of the centre column and fixed a 3/8" grub screw into the end of it by filing half the screw down a tiny bit, sliding it in the column and gluing and crimping it in place. This new 1" tall centre column with screw can then be easily attached (there is an attachment screw in the side of where the column attaches) with the 3/8" screw sticking out the top for the new ballhead to be attached. :)

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Thanks for posting your modifications. You are down to the weight of a Tamrac Zip-shot which is as light as it gets.You should be MUCH more stable. That particular Velbon tripod doesn't show up in the U.S. and it is difficult to judge the overall build quality -plastics prone to breakage, bottom metal legs prone to bending or leg retainers failing. That even happened on my first 343e, but it has a lifetime warranty and they fixed it in a week.So what is your working height with that new limit on the center section? I am looking through the usual suspects of Chinese, Korean, and U.K. Amazon offerings some of which are very interesting alternatives except for the shipping charges which are often prohibitive. I did read one account of that Velbon you are using shattering, but the owner slipped on a rock and that will undo nearly anything. And he clearly loved it as his kit. John So confirm your max height sans camera is about 39 inches or 100 cm?

Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

I did consider the zipshot, but this setup is probably more stable, but also more adaptable as I can choose what height to set it at (each leg section can only be fully open or closed though) and it has the much better head setup. The height to the top of the tripod head is 82cm (Looks taller than that, but have just measured it). Having said that, it is more than enough height for almost everything I would want to do, and I generally shoot landscapes for a low angle anyway.

The legs are made from aluminium, with the main plastic parts being the 'hinges' at the top of the legs. These are the most flimsy parts. They do the job absolutely fine, but if I was to change anything it would be these hinges. In my head I do have plans and ideas for making a tripod from scratch, and I'm sure I an make this top section not only much stronger, but also much lighter by using 3 aluminium or titanium strips in a triangle shape. The main thing I would need to source or figure out how to make are the leg locks akin to the G-Locks in Gitzo tripods, but only much smaller. So if anyone knows where I can get these locks from or how they are made, I'm all ears.

Mallory Caldwell

@mc1263

Locale: Texas

I'm thinking about the Peak Designs Capture Clip for my OM-D (on pre-order . . . I currently shoot the Oly E-P2 . . . when backpacking usually with the Panny 20mm pancake).

Sounds like there are a few fans of the capture clip. Anyone else have experience with it? Are there competing products I should consider?

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

Like at least one other, I carry it in my cargo pocket – easy and quick access.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools