Topic

ZimmerBuilt something awesome for me

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZimmerBuilt something awesome for me

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

I'm pretty sure Chris Zimmer just made me the world's most awesome backpack. It's mostly VX21 for burly waterproof protection (will be fully waterproof after seam sealing), has massive sewn-on hip belt pockets, two waterproof rear storage pockets, a big hip belt and weighs ~32 ounces with an aluminum hoop stay.

I am so excited to try this out.

zimmerbuilt

zimmerbuilt

zimmerbuilt

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Nice pack!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Great job Kyle and Chris Z! Does the upper front pocket continue behind the lower front pocket? What is the main pack bag volume?

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

The top pocket doesn't go below the bottom, they're just what you see. The main pack bag is 40L.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Kirk,
    A very cool pack Chris made for you the finest craftsmanship by Chris. It will see many miles.
    Terry

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Looks real nice Kyle! Curious as to what you plan on stuffing into the those giant hip pockets?

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

It's a two night pack—one freeze dried meal per pocket, poured straight in. I'll boil water, pour it into my hipbelt pocket and eat my beefaroni while hiking.

Kidding, of course. But seriously, a camera, steripen, headlamp, snacks, gloves, cell phone, black rock hat should all fit easily into the pockets to make gear transitions simple while hiking.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Kyle,

Isn't it the sincerest compliment to a custom pack maker like Chris Zimmer when none of us are surprised anymore about the quality of his packs.

Your pack looks beautiful!

Chris is developing a loyal fan following and I number myself among them. ;-)

"I am so excited to try this out".

Time to get a little "mud on the tires".

Party On,

Newton

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I'm looking forward to getting my pack in the mail soon, too. Chris does a fantastic job.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Aaron,

Is that the pack that disappeared from the Gear Deals page of Chris's website? ;-)

Party On,

Newton

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Very nice. Thanks a lot for posting. I really mean that. I'll be stepping up (down?) from more traditional packs soon and this gives me a lot of ideas.

I love the idea of those big pockets on the hip belt because I eat, drink, and navigate while I hike. I really like the water-proof zipper on one side for phone, wallet maybe, etc. BYOP (buy your own pack), but I'd want a velcro-fastened lid on the other side for less important stuff – today's lunch, map, lip balm – stuff I pull out every 15-30 minutes – because it would be quicker access.

How much coin?

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

John,

Nope, it isn't unfortunately. I just had him modify his half dome pack with dyneema side pockets and a removable aluminum u frame. I wanted a pack that could shrink down for shorter trips but also fit in a bear can for longer trips. I'm stoked with how it came out! :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Kyle,
    Could you share your impressions on the hoop stay? Size? Any other sort of frame sheet or back padding?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Aaron & Kyle, I'd also be interested in hearing how these packs are with a bear can, and any comments on Zimmer's aluminum frames in general. I haven't found a (light) pack yet that carries a bear can elegantly and am considering having Chris build me one. For me, the only packs that carry a bear can comfortably are those with an aluminum U-frame and some kind of framesheet or hard foam to isolate the can from your back.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

@Travis:

I haven't received the pack yet, but I'll update the thread with my impressions of the pack and photos of the hoop stay. In the mean time, you can see a small piece of the hoop at the bottom of this thread.

@Andrew
    :

I only have a BearVault 500 (the big one) so I'm guessing I'll need to carry it vertically, but it wasn't at all a concern for me since I backpack primarily in Oregon and Washington. The nice thing about working with Chris is you can specify any dimensions of pack body you want—it'd be trivial to ask for a pack body that perfectly accommodates your bear can of choice.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kyle, for me it's more of an issue of how well the pack maintains its shape with a bear can in it than actually fitting the bear can inside. That's why I like a ~8" wide U frame + framesheet, because the stiffness helps maintain the pack body in a D shape (flat against your back) versus becoming cylindrical.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Kyle, thanks. It sounds like I could specify the exact size of the hoop stay and have a frame sheet built in. Like Andrew, I prefer a D shape rather than the cylinders some frameless packs become.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

The aluminum frames I build are roughly 6" wide at the U bends and depending on the pack either maintain the 6" width down to the bottom seam of the pack or in Kyles packs case goes from 6" wide at the top and widens out to the outer bottom edges of the pack which was 12" wide. Kyle wanted to be able to make his pack as waterproof as possible so I made the back panel and bottom one piece so there is bottom seam. So Kyles pack should maintain a decent D shape with the frame. When I put a frame in a pack I build in a frame sleeve to slide the frame into, this also makes for a pocket to slide in a foam sit pad to give padding to the back of the pack. A piece of corrugated plastic could also be inserted in this pocket as well to give even more support and help maintain the D shape even better. Plus it is all easily removable so if your going on a short trip and don't need a framed pack it can be removed.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Chris, how does the U frame carry compared to a peripheral hoop like the ones used on the ULA Ohm and Osprey Talon 44?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I really like my Talon 44 and how it forms to my back without letting things poke me, flexes with my movement, and still supports a load in the 35lb range. I think my perfect pack would be the one in this thread but with the frame sheet and hoop suspension of the Osprey.

I don't mean to sound overly nit-picky, Chris. You build some totally awesome packs! I have trouble finishing a straight edge on silnylon…

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

I'm with you Travis, exactly why I asked this question. I like several of Chris' designs, but I think I'd want the Talon/Ohm hoop. Unless, of course, Chris' system carries as well or better.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

@ Clayton and Travis:

The Osprey talon 44 was one I really looked at closely when I was thinking about getting a new pack. The pack I ended up ordering from Chris offered the same internal space with a quite a bit more external storage, a removable frame (with space to add a framesheet), and cuts out alot of the excess weight with a more durable fabric (mine ended up at 26.25 oz without the hipbelt pocket and 27.5 oz with it).

It should be here tomorrow, so I can post pictures and the like if either of you are interested.

Cheers,
    Aaron

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

I have a Zimmerbuilt half-Dome with the U-suspension built around my Bearikade, and it carries fantastic, FWIW! Besides my Osprey Talon 44, this has been the only lightweight pack that I don't even notice my bearcan while packing it. I have some photos up from a couple of months ago. I added a piece of corriplastic that slips in to the sleeve in the back and for the negligable weight, it adds more stiffness and a barrier between my pack contents and my back, though it is comfortable without it as well. Chris makes a fantastic pack.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57230&skip_to_post=484469#484469

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Aaron, I'd like to see you pack!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

+1 on the pictures. Definitely.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools