Topic

Snow Science Tools – Storage Solution

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Snow Science Tools – Storage Solution

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I have been pondering how to best carry these tools in the lid of my pack for a few days now w/o coming up with any one solution that seems best to me.

click to see larger version in new window/tab

For awhile I was using a modified "wallet" type thing that I think was intended for a person with diabetes to store their supplies. It worked okay but only for some of the kit parts – not all. In the process of trying to find a new solution I have sourced numerous bags, wallets, organizers, et al from the thrift store and cut them apart for their zippers, velcro, fabric, and assorted parts.

I also have simply thrown all the kit items into a small cuben stuff sack but this is lacking for two reasons. 1. It doesn't store the fragile thermometer very well, and 2) it is not easy to find each piece of kit as you need to use it.

I am leaning toward a design that is as wide as the lid of my pack, would allow me to keep each item shown in the photo in it's own pocket (or combined with similarly shaped items). Ideally it would be designed so that I could simply grab the bag/sleeve/sheet/whatever it ends up being and set it out so that all items are accessible while I'm in a snow pit taking measurements.

Any thoughts? I'm sure many readers are completely unaware what these tools are for but perhaps having no prior knowledge will give you insight.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Sam, shoot an email to lukesultralite.com . He makes cuben bags, organizer pouches and a couple of dyneema X pouches (one is a pack lid) and might come up with an idea or two.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Some first aid kits have multiple compartments. And some toiletry bags.

http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/bags-and-pouches/monarch_ultralite_travel_bag.cfm

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Whatever solution I come up with I'll be sewing for myself but thanks for sharing Luke's website – I'd not seen it before. Also, thanks for the Equinox link. That is exactly the kind of product I've been sourcing at thrift stores (in heavier fabrics) to cut apart for use in building something new.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

When I had Chris Zimmer make a custom pack for me, I also had him make a top pocket that is easily detachable.
    Don't know if this might work for you, but something along those lines might work. You could also wrap thermometer in a small container made of blue foam to better protect it.Zimmer pack photo

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You might like the old OR Possum Pockets. Divided pocketed pouch that could be fastened either to hipbelt or shoulder straps. An expansion of colin Fletcher's "Office on The Yoke" idea.

pp

Michael Curtis

@axesaxes3

Locale: Mountain West

I have a silnylon product from Brooks Range. Works well other than the sil nylon is a bit slick on an incline. The design would be pretty easy to copy. I have an older similiar product out of cordura as well…it is not quite so slick. I think a tri fold, no zipper product with elastic and nylon pockets is simpler than a zippered product.

I've also used a tupperware type container, which has the bonus of protecting thermometers or density kits…

Looks like you have a clinometer on the compass. Any reason to carry two clinometers?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

@Jenny – that's one purdy lookin' pack!

@Ken
    – yes, have been considering something that I could attach temporarily outside the pack. Love the "office on the yoke" concept.

@Michael
    – I've definitely considered copying from Brooks-Range. And I've already decided on a cordura for precisely the reason you mentioned. Tupperware is too bulky (my day pack is only 1800cu in so space is a premium). Two clinometers? Force of habit – perhaps I should practice with the compass because that's terribly un-ultralight of me!

I really appreciate this feedback from everyone. I've put pencil to paper, layed the items out on my table, thought about it from different perspectives, and yet have not come up with what I feel is the "right solution". I could easily sew something, try it out, and sew something else, but for some reason I'm attacking this problem far more analytically that I usually do a sewing project.

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

I think I've seen several types of organizer "rolls" for heavy camping and canoeing with lots of food utinsels, etc. To make your own, you just need a rectangle of fabric with another material (same fabric or mesh) sewn on top with the lines of sewing tracing around the size of things you need. Google "canoeing utinsel roll" if that reads as super vague to you as it does to me. Add some ties to the edge and done.

If I had to organize that pile, I'd most likely go with a sock around the thermometer and toss it all in a ziploc. But a roll would give you the access you wanted.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

The ziploc option doesn't sit well atop my pack while it's propped up in the snow and doesn't offer the easy access to each tool (this is necessary when performing snow pit research).

Funny you should suggest the roll idea though, Ryan because this morning I started toying around with the idea of a roll-type solution. So far I have a piece of 500d with some mesh sewn to it forming little pockets for bits of kit. Am going to continue on it this afternoon and if it turns out halfway decent I may go with it for a few weeks to see how I like it.

John Canfield

@jcanfield

Locale: Cascadia

Sam, I would be happy to build you what you are looking for- gratis. Of course.

Glad to see your name pop in this neck of the woods.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Hola, Canfield! I actually sewed up my solution this afternoon. Appreciate the offer though!

ps – I started work on a frame bag for my bicycle this eve which I think you'll be stoked to see as well. Doing a proto from garbage 500d and if I like design will source some xpac or better 500 (better color I mean) as well as quality zippers and velcro.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Do we get to see it?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Yep! Just had to wait for the photos to upload to Flickr.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Made from all scrap material. Note in last photo how notepad cover can be opened and placed into center pocket allowing the organizer to be used as a "clipboard" for ease of data recording.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I made a similar pouch out of 1.1 silnylon and 3/4" webbing I had lying around. I made it as a kangaroo pouch that goes over my neck under my shell jacket. It holds a soft sided water bottle, my lunch, map and compass, lip balm, and a pair of gloves that might need to be drying. For deep winter use only when it is easier to have a hand full of things in one pocket that you don't have to take a glove off to access. I didn't create the divider pockets but I could add those later.

It makes me look pregnant but it works great. Lunch always thaws and the water never freezes.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Sounds like a very practical tool, Jeremy. I have considered making a harness much like ski partrollers wear that would hold all of the above as well as a few of the items you listed. It would stay close to the chest without swinging around but basically serve the same purpose as your pouch.

John Canfield

@jcanfield

Locale: Cascadia

Looking forward to seeing it! send me an email @ [email protected] when you get photos for it!!

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

The swinging problem is the only thing wrong with mine. I am thinking about how I want to fix that without over complicating the whole thing. It is fine when my chest strap on my pack is snapped but not so much when I un-snap the strap.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Awesome Sam. Thanks for the look see.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools