Topic

Needles to ourselves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Needles to ourselves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

For most of the year, crowds in the Utah National Parks make them fairly intolerable, especially with so many other great areas nearby. In winter, though, it's a different story.f

We decided to head over to the Needles on Saturday morning for a quick overnighter. We saw one vehicle in the park and we were the only ones so far in the month to register for a backcountry permit. We were quite surprised to find about 6" of snow from a storm the previous week that had left us dry only a couple hours away at home. There were a few footprints for the first mile or so, and after that we had first tracks the rest of the trip until getting back close to the trailhead. Shoulda brought the Rocky socks.dsd

South facing and open areas were melted, filling potholes.fds

The snow made an otherwise very easy trail almost impassable in a few spots of steep snow-covered slickrock. There was more than one time that took some serious detour searching.lskdjfsd

signs of struggle:sldkjfs

ice in Elephant Canyonalskdfjs

February light in Chesler Parksldkfj

sldkjfsd

After a mostly clear night, it was snowing when we woke up. We were a little worried that it might further complicate traction in the few dry areas, but it had stopped by the time we were on the trail. Strange knowing we were the first hikers in days in probably the most popular part of the park.lsdjf

After an enjoyable morning hiking out we headed to Moab for some more coffee and onward home, feeling quite refreshed for the week.lsdkfjs

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Beautiful stuff.

Cheers

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Nice shots during winter and a different look at the park than most get, though Canyonlands is pretty vacant into November too. Two questions: Were you able to heat snow for water and what were your temps?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice looking trip, nice pics

I haven't been to Utah much, but that's what I like about the winter, for some reason most people don't do backpacking so you can go to places that are too crowded in the summer

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

HK:
    We did heat snow for water (snowpeak giga ti) at night and in the morning (for convenience since there was plenty at hand). While hiking there was water in potholes and bottoms of canyons (after it melted mid-late morning). Temps were 40s during the day down to about 20 at night.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Nice trip! It looks like you had a great view from your campsite. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

After being in Arches last August with my family (yeah…not the smartest move in hindsight), it's very cool to see a blanket of snow in what was a furnace for me. I was just in Zion, and was postholing through snow on the West Rim Trail. I think the desert in winter is a wonderful place.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Tom

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Nicely done sir. Great pictures! I'll be hitting up the whole Elephant hill/canyon area for the first time come April.

How were you able to make out the trail once the tracks dissapeared? I've always wanted to go in the Winter in addition to my annual spring trip.

Dave T

@davet

Beautiful pictures from the great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools