Topic

Parking at Henry Coe-Questions for drivers.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Parking at Henry Coe-Questions for drivers.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Trying to pay for parking at Henry Coe is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. With people arriving throughout the day Friday and Saturday it is difficult to know the numbers in vehicles. Parking fees are $8 per car per day. So I would need to know vehicle license number, day of arrival, total mounts for each day, etc…

I was hoping to negotiate for paying a blanket fee for the overflow lot which should hold about 30 vehicles. We do get to use this lot though.

Also to consider is this.

We get 10 car parkings free with the campsites(5 per site). Plus we get to have 4(weather permitting)vehicles at camp with us.

How would you deal with this dilemma?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Paying a blanket fee would be great. Hopefully the park will let that happen

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Seriously, we need to pay you for your efforts.

The two cars that drive in to carry in supplies should get "free" parking that comes with the two sites.

The 10 others, we could simply use that as credit to lower the cost of parking for everyone coming.

That way you can simply say, $6.50 per person….or however the math works out.

The logistical problems is to have everyone PM you with License Plates and Vehicle color and description.

Suggestion that if you do this, create a new thread and ask for PMs of the information.

Once you have a listing of how many vehicles will be coming….run the math.

People can also Paypal you the money.

Worse case scenario, if it becomes too much work….it has to become 1st come 1st serve for better or worse for the free spots.

Everyone pays their own fees for parking, but inform the rangers that they are part of the group site parking….the the rangers hand out the free spots as people come in.

You can only do so much and all of this might be like hearding cats. :)

-Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

OK What about this?

Marc Eldridge and his load of firewood, me and the beer and two other vehicles(still to be determined) at camp.

Free 10 spots of parking for the members who have attended all 3 previous GGGs. And a spot each for our guests from GG and TD.

Have the rest pay themselves. I tried with a blanket fee, policy issues.

This way I only have to be concerned about 10 vehicles not 35.

Hope this is OK 'cause that's how it's going down.

With so many coming for Friday as well as Saturday. This has kind of thrown me for a loop. I was expecting, as in years past, that the bulk of guests would show for Saturday night only. We have so many for Friday this time that i have to reserve both spots for both nights.

Lesson learned.

Those original repeat offenders have all been Pm'd requesting license numbers.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I'll be driving and more than happy to just pay when I get there if that's easiest. I've never arrived there after hours though. Do you know if it's just a self registration type deal where you fill something out, put money in an envelope and drop it in a box?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I would imagine that there would be an iron ranger(drop box)by the HQ. I will leave a sign in the parking area with instructions.

Thanks Chris. Makes my job easier.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've been to Henry Coe when the normal parking by headquarters got completely filled up. Then they try to utilize the overflow parking lot which is (?) maybe a half-mile northwest. So, drivers had to backtrack to the overflow lot. But (initially) there was no parking pass capability there, so walkers had to return to headquarters, pay for parking, receive a pass, then walk it back to the overflow low, apply it to the car, and then walk back (again) toward headquarters or wherever. Obviously, they heard some complaints about that. For the next visit, there was an iron ranger at the overflow lot, but drivers still didn't know whether to stop there or to continue to headquarters to seek parking. The road is kind of narrow along there, and you don't want to be zooming back and forth in a hurry.

–B.G.–

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools