Topic

Everyone needs their own JMT 2012 gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Everyone needs their own JMT 2012 gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Locale: Southern California

My 2012 JMT gear list . . . this is pretty much the same gear I carried in 2010 on the JMT. Planning on doing it in 12-14 days during the last two weeks of September. I'd love any advice or feedback. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AumeU1bgt2ljdDNTalBack9tLWFrRnQ4cGMxYzFsS3c

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

12-14 days total looks like 6-7 from MTR to Whitney Portal. Bare Boxer 101 is less than 1/2 the size I need for that time & distance.

If you have a secret plan, I respect that. If you want all your food in the bear can overnight then it may be impossible (unless you just pack it full of peanut butter!)

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

In 2010 I met two friends at Kearsarge Pass . . . and at that point the can was pretty empty, so your right . . . MTR to the Portal is a little to far for the 101, but I can fit about 5 or 6 days of food in the BB 101.

Typical day on the trail for me is an energy bar in the morning, another around 11 with some gatorade, a GU and another gatorade around 2, another bar in the late afternoon, then dinner. I'll mix a few other things in if I get hungry or feel low on energy, but I keep it pretty simple. I always have corn nuts and snickers too.

Two food pics from Red's Meadow and trailer at VVR:

Red's Meadow

VVR - Big Red

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

. . . I like the idea of packing it full of peanut butter . . . or maybe just fill it with corn nuts and snickers.

:)

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Since you took the bait… values from the Internet:

Bare Boxer 101: 275 cubic inches =4.506 liters
    Peanut Butter specific gravity: 1.25 = 1250 g/l
    Mass of Bare Boxer full of peanut butter: 5630 g
    Calories/ 100 grams of peanut butter: 588 = 5.88 cal/g

Calories in Bare Boxer full of peanut butter: 33,100

Using 2500 calorie/day ration, that gives 13 days.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Using 2500 calorie/day ration, that gives 13 days."

Very impressive. However, could you eat only peanut butter for 13 days? I think not.

The very most peanut butter that I can eat is about 20% of my total diet.

–B.G.–

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

I could do the entire trail without a resupply!

:)

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think we should start a BPL betting pool on how many days Joseph would last with his peanut butter only trail quest. I bet 3 days maximum and there would be the happiest marmots and pikas in all of the sierras!
    :}

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I knew a guy that lived off of peanut butter for ten or so days. I was not able to be certain he was eating other foods, but he definitely was eating lots of peanut butter.

I could not do it. Why not mix up peanut butter and Nutella? They are similar pastes of comparable nutritional value.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think you could lure in marmots with peanut butter and wack em over the head. Survive off marmot stew the whole trip! Now that I think about it, doesn't the john muir trail go through national forests? I wonder what marmots taste like…

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Marmots must be in the Ground Hog family. A recipe for ground hog can be found in the Joy of Cooking.

BTW I found that the thin "Shepherd Hook' tents stakes worked best in the rocky soil areas of the JMT.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"I knew a guy that lived off of peanut butter for ten or so days."

I knew grad students who lived off of peanut butter and Top Ramen for 8 years!

But you're right about the 3 days. I knew two climber types who read labels and concluded the lightest, cheapest calories were in the form of Squeeze Parkay margarine and used that as 2/3 of their intake. They toughed it out for 3 days and then were eyeing even my no-cook items (pumpernickel, triscuits, salami, granola) pretty intently.

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Added a new column with some stuff i'm on the fence about.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I knew grad students who lived off of peanut butter and Top Ramen for 8 years!"

To many college students, those represent two of the major food groups.

–B.G.–

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Just got my email confirmation from Yosemite . . . JMT 2012 begins on September 17th!

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

JMT again this year . . . last 2 weeks of August ending around Labor Day.

Changes from last year include SoloMid instead of tarp, heavier but more comfortable pad, and the Marmot Mica instead of my Houdini and plastic poncho . . . also added the z-packs pants . . . everything else is about the same.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AumeU1bgt2ljdDNTalBack9tLWFrRnQ4cGMxYzFsS3c#gid=0

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

and here is the general plan . . . this is about the same as previous years . . . maybe zero day at VVR or MTR, but about 12-13 days hiking . . .

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AumeU1bgt2ljdDZ0WGlfRkZNWnRHN1RVTXpRSlVQdmc#gid=0

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

I'm curious about what you are carrying in Misc Items, Ziploc 3 (first aid, repair, emergency) at 1.2oz?

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Cuben Fiber tape
    Leukotape
    Whistle
    Anti-diarrhea
    Motrin
    Benadryl
    Butterfly srtrips
    Crazy glue
    Needle, thread, and safety pin
    Therm-a-rest repair kit
    Platty patch

. . . also have some duct tape on my trekking pole

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Can you really get by on 16 ounces of food per day? I'd be starved unless you have some very calorie dense per pound food that you carry.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

16 oz is what I take and about 2k calories per day. For a 14 day JMT I would be getting hungry about day 7 or 8 and mileage may start to suffer a bit.

I went two weeks on the PCT eating nothing but Kendal Mint cakes, beef jerky, and Hersey Tropical bars due to a mixup with my food box. Not the best diet but I was thirty years younger then and much more resilient.

Apart from the jerky, how many have had the mint cakes or tropical bars? Unfortunately, I actually do know what a marmot tastes like….along with some other easily dispatched game. I would have paid dearly for some seasoning.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"how many have had the mint cakes or tropical bars?"

That's a blast from the past. I remember tropical chocolate bars, from back in the early 70's maybe?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I remember seeing Tropical Chocolate on the store shelves into the 1980's.

I keep looking for a suitable substitute now. There is lots of dark chocolate available, but it all seems to melt on a warm day.

–B.G.–

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Did a similar itinerary two weeks later in 2009. I would bring a warmer sleeping bag or quilt unless you are a warm sleeper. Whitney summit will be a cold night. I'll be there at the same time as you this year and I'm bring a 20F quilt.will be overkill at lower elev. but not for higher camps.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools