Topic

November wind storm damage in the Sierra’s :(

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion November wind storm damage in the Sierra’s :(

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5344090

Very sad to hear. Gunna be more sad to see this coming summer. It going to be a busy summer for trail crews and rangers.

"Given the extent of damage and the number of trees that need to be removed, there is a high probability that the spring opening of the Reds Meadow Road and Reds and Agnew Valley Campgrounds, trails, and day use facilities will be delayed."

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

And we thought we were going to get off easy this winter. That is freaky windy!

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

The National Weather Service used several area weather stations to calculate that gusts on the top of Mammoth Mountain exceeded 180 mph and wind speeds did not drop below 120 mph for over three hours.

Whoa.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

It has been pretty bad in RMNP this winter as well. Low snowpack and high wind advisories nearly everyday have made snowshoeing or backcountry skiing hit or miss.

But hey, this is what I get for living smack dab next to the foothills. :)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"exceeded 180 mph and wind speeds did not drop below 120 mph for over three hours."

Wow!

I've been in winds to 60 mpg (Mt Washington) and 90 mph (Dutch Harbor) gusting to 136 mph. 180 mph would literally send you flying (and the landing would not be pretty). And snap off every tree around.

"We're not in Kansas anymore. . . "

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

if you read to the bottom it says winds get that high occasionally but the direction of the wind is what took out all the trees.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

All the trees blew off the top of Mammoth Mtn. I looked. Now, if the gusts up there affected the hut, the one with plate glass, I wonder how it held up to pressures and shears like that? 180 is just plain gnarly.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I've been in winds to 60 mpg (Mt Washington) "

That is impressive fuel economy for wind.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"The National Weather Service used several area weather stations to calculate that gusts on the top of Mammoth Mountain exceeded 180 mph and wind speeds did not drop below 120 mph for over three hours."

I wonder how my tarp would have done…. Hmmmm

Wait, I could have used it to fly off the mountain. Think how many miles a days you could make.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

In mid December me and a friend counted somewhere around 300 individual fallen trees between the ranger station and sykes camp in Big Sur. If the Sierras are anything like that, it's going to be a lot of sawing to get all of that out of the way.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Greg, the only way to survive something like that would be to go into burrito mode with your tarp… probably would have to do the same with a tent fly.

Diana Nevins
    BPL Member

@artemis

Locale: Great Plains

""We're not in Kansas anymore. . . ""

Since winds speeds of 120-180 mph are in the tornadic range, perhaps we ARE in Kansas after all? :)

Very odd winter the US is having this year. Very odd!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Nature is awesome.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools