My brother,myself and my service dog are hiking the PCT and I wanted to get some peoples ideas/changes to our gear list. I have done the Oregon/washington section entirely so I know this setup is effective their, however the mid California Cascades are going to be the part we have the least experience in. We have made some things such as hats/gloves/our quilts so they will be labeled MYOG etc. This is just the basic outline, my total pack weight with 5 days food is at 24.1 pounds. Astrics mark things that are not bought and most likely undecided on, though their weight is considered in that 24.1 figure.
Gossamer Gear Mariposa +*
MYOG 20 degree Apex insulated Quilt
MYOG merino beanie
MYOG merino gloves
Iphone 4s (camera/blog/video/emergency use phone)
2x Gossamer gear nightlite torso length pads
Gossamer gear spinntwinn tarp*
Patagonia cap 2 top and bottom baselayer* (mostly only for sleeping or on cold days)*
Nike Dri-fit running shorts (99%) of what I keep on my legs.
Montbell alpine light vest
Montbell Dynamo pants (awesome)
North Face Venture Jacket
I will get a link for my gear grams list later but all the food dittys are relatively basic. The main concerns my brother and I have are.
1. During the non-winter months my brother and I do all of our backpacking and hiking in Chacos, is the snow in the Sierra's hard-packed enough for chacos?
2. Bear Canisters are going to bring pack weight to around 30 pounds, is that too much for the Mariposa to handle? The circuit also seems like a great pack but I hear it is better the shorter you are generally. We are both 6' 3" so many packs have trouble getting the hip belt down snug on our hips.
3.As far as charging for my iphone, has anyone had any luck with any portable solar chargers?

