Topic

Tall side mesh pocket on pack? What to put in it.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Tall side mesh pocket on pack? What to put in it.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

I just loaded up my SMD Swift last night and realized that I didn't have anything in the tall side mesh pocket. I have a 7lb baseweight so I'm not carrying a lot of extras. I could put my polls in there (upside down of course) but that's the only thing I can think of and I hike with those all the time. Maybe switch my 1L Platy to the tall pocket and use the other pocket for food? Then I could ditch the hipbelt and pockets on that. Any other ideas?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

24oz Modelos

I've gotten to dislike hipbelts pockets as they seem to take quite a beating when going off trail as I am pushing through bushes and climbing over blow downs. I prefer a pocket on the shoulder strap ala Colin Fletcher's office on the yoke idea.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Modelos in any size are a good idea. I've never taken my Swift off-trail but can see the conundrum. Mesh pockets really are a liability when bushwhacking and there is no law that states that each pocket must be filled while backpacking. Not even on a UL pack. I tend to put my rain poncho or shelter in that one.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Yeah, I felt the same way. The Swift is big enough that you can fit most stuff inside, especially if you have a 7lb base weight. I usually just ended up putting my polycro ground sheet in there and when I had a full bear canister inside the pack I moved my tarptent to that pocket. Would have preferred just a normal size side pocket.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools