Topic

San Diego Area Backpacking.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning San Diego Area Backpacking.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Hey guys!

I have been backpacking around San Diego for years and I am looking for new ideas on where to go. It seems that most trails around here that I know of are <20 miles (PCT not included) except for some of the trails on San Gorgonio.

So what am I missing? What are your favorite backpacking trips? Any hidden jewels?

I have hiked extensively on the three saints, but they are a few hours from San Diego.

Any ideas for 20+ mile trips in the San Diego area?

Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Locale: SoCal

I started a loop of about 60+ miles last year, but did not finish due to weather. It might even have been longer, I would have to look at a map again. I started at Lake Morena park and took the PCT north and cut across the inlet to the lake and headed west on Morena Stokes Rd for a mile or so and hit the Espinosa trail south of Corte Madera. We followed that to the Secret Canyon trail in the Pine Creek Wilderness. Take that trail to the trailhead in Pine Valley and walk down Old hwy 80 to Pine Creek Rd. Follow that to Noble Canyon trailhead and take that to Indian Creek trail, follow that up to the East Mesa in Cuyamaca, work north towards the east side of Lake Cuyamaca, there are a couple trails that I can't remember the names of. From there hit the PCT south from Fages Monument and head back to Lake Morena. The only bad spot us Secret Canyon, very overgrown and trash from illegal immigrants. Tom Harrison map is all you should need to piece it together.

You could look at some trips out of McCain Valley down into the desert, I'm sure you could put some 20+ mile trips together out there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What about the Sea to Sea Trail?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

From what I understand, some areas of the Sea-to-Sea are unpassable. If I could get the maps on that I would be all over it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jace you were only asking for hikes over 20 miles. There are completed sections. Would be nice if they could finish all 140 miles.

James Darman
    BPL Member

@crazycloud

Locale: SoCal

Hello Jace, here's a thru-hikers journal describing Sea to Sea Trail – http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=df41070bd94caa550d321f380340759e&entry_id=19329
    if that link doesn't work just go to postholer and search the name Buck-30
    Also Cuyamaca S.P. has 110 miles of trails to hit great place! unfortunately only one campground open right now though

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools