Topic

Backpacker’s “Gear Guide” just out

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpacker’s “Gear Guide” just out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"Shawn – where do you work? If that is your picture, you look like someone I saw at the Perimeter REI in Atlanta."

No, I work at the Brentwood store right outside of Nashville. My store isn't quite as "Eddie Bauer" as the Perimeter store sounds, but having been forced to work most of my shifts (to cover personnel issues of the last 3 months) in clothing, the non-hiker population seems to have dectupled (I think that's the right word for 10 x) lately. I AM glad that my store still carries a decent selection of lightweight packs and sleeping bags, but our tent and tarp selection is NOT particularly lightweight. I'm just glad to be able to help folks who really need genuine technical help, and in camping and footwear, I can still do that. But working clothing makes me feel like I'm in the Gap.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OK, those of you biitching about the Gear Guide… I just came back from the bookstore — and they're still displaying Feb issues. Count yourselves lucky. :(

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Here is page 128
    enjoy!
    Jimpage 128

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

All these magazine are trying to go down the lifestyle route – it frustrates me.
    Outside seems to have been the first, and is now the worst.
    I get tired of their lists of ten most beautiful people wearing the latest Gucci fleece. If I wanted fashion then there are magazines for that.
    Even NG adventure is slipping down the fashion route, as is backpacker. Rather than going for long-term integrity, they want their money now. It's a shame there's no alternative out there.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I guess what I'm saying is that I realize the magazine needs to sell ads to survive, I just wish that editorial content and integrity wasn't pushed quite so far down the pecking order.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Just four words …

Vote with your pocketbook

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey- I don't know what you all are complaining about. I had an incredible aha moment this morning when looking through the Gear Guide…

So now I can take pictures and print them with my portable printer WHILE on the mountain- I don't even have to wait until I get home! YES! That way I can enjoy the photos INSTEAD of the view…and in real time!

Further, if I go SUL and get my base weight to 5 pounds, I can not only carry the extra 10 pounds of add-on stuff (tequila, pillow, and hammock), I'll have an ADDITIONAL 8 pounds of capacity for extra stuff! With that room, I can easily carry that printer and also a phat ghetto blaster to jam the tunes while I get totally drunk while looking at my new photos and swinging in my hammock. Brilliant!

I'm so stoked, that I can't hardly stand it!

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>So now I can take pictures and print them with my portable printer WHILE on the mountain

I wonder how much the printer weighs if you cut off the handle…

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

well everything is ridiculous except for the Tequila!! That is when stuffing your pack as someone stated earlier with their post.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Oh and Backpacker is about as useful as a kick in the pants. Nada. Stopped my subscription and I will never renew again. Why? They are turning into a magazine ala Outdoor or National Geographic Explorer. They hardly cover backpacking any more. More articles on paddling, mountain biking and such. No offence to those who enjoy those sports, but if I want to read about paddling or kayaking then I will buy a mag that is about that. It is a waste of print!!!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Jim… but what I really need is a 3-in-1 color scanner, copier and printer.

You laugh, but picture this: You see a ranger approaching, and now, you just need to copy/print a few extra backcountry permits — use one to show the ranger and sell the rest to fellow hikers (there're always people who don't have permits). Make money while you hike!

E. A.

@yalacasa

Locale: Cheeseland-Midwest

Shawn if you take the "missionaries" theme a little further… by working at REI and being an UL backpacker, you both LITERALLY and FIGURATIVELY are: a "tent-maker".

just a little evangelical pun-ing.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I guess I gotta weigh in with a comment here.

If you criticize and antagonize other people, especially businesses that might otherwise work with you or resolve differences then you can take a growing, nascent UL movement and turn it into a real fringe subculture.

Now, I am not against that — because I have received great benefits from BPL and the UL people here and surrounding it. But, as the movement to go UL is now in a kind of surge it would be, IMO, not wise to go after pet peeves or irritants without thinking about the consequences.

It is kind of like the common sense of going a good distance away to hang your bear bag or to pee from your campsite. Just a thought by an older wanna be UL and SUL'er.

bd

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

is that backpacker magazine used to pack alot more substance when I read and subscribed to it in the early nineties. When I buy an issue occasionally I wonder why I did. The public library down the street has backpacker magazine so if I feel the need to flip thru it I just take a ride down the street. Does anyone know when Rodale Press acquired backpacker magazine?

b d

@bdavis

I went and looked at the Rodale website — I must have first read about Rodale and used their publications many, many years ago.

They used to be the bellweather for info re: organic gardening. The website makes it clear that the present editorial pollcies are at the beck and call of Rodale's son or others.

Now, you can fight that or not but it will not help anyone personally, IMO. People like Dr.RJ and others are working to influence and create both a market impact and political and/or environmental effect (see the recent editorial in the BPL mag; I am still not sure where I would comment or come in). Whether they, the people who have put their financial and personal lives on the line in promoting the UL/SUL movement or market niche, can do that, depends in large part on the intelligence and commentary coming from us. Therefore, before I would antagonize or criticiaze Rodale I would think twice. Although, I am always up for a good fight, unless suffering from the runs.

bd

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

I am not really sure how my humble opinion that Backpacker Magazine doesn't contain material of the caliber it did about fourteen years ago is going to harm the ultralight movement.

b d

@bdavis

I did not mean your commentary was only relevant to about 14 years ago — or that what Rodale does, or anyone at BPL, will innevitably harm the UL movement. Nor, is it only your commentary, by itself, that I was responding to. I meant your, and others, present commentary may not take into account the terrain or circumstances of the world in which Rodale and BPL work. I can only say what I think, it does not mean it is true or that I would not change my mind. Please, don't take offense at what I am writing.

IMO: At some point criticizing others or questioning their abilities or integtity will backfire (at least without establishing an equivalent credibility). Again, IMO, anyone who cannot influence the ultimate outcome of a decision within that Rodale organization who attacks or criticizes that organiztion can create a more negative result than is necessary or foredained.

The real issue, IMO, is to support and engage with the existing alternatives and people … in a positive manner. Build those alternatives and possibilities which are within your/our grasp, and not seek to "convert" others or those whom we have no relation with to believe or act as we wish they might otherwise do.

Otherwise, … go for it …. you are right on, I just don't like to think about Rodale putting their energy and time and money into dinging BPL like people at BPL are dinging them; when it is entirely unecessary.

bd

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

I get your drift (I think) -keep things positive and avoid being negative. That being said opinions and criticisms can often effect positive changes. Much of the UL gear we covet today exists because people were willing to form opionions and criticisms of said UL gear prototypes and first runs and share these opinions and criticisms. So by sharing my opinion that the quality of content in backpacker magazine is no longer satisfactory to me I hope to effect positive change. I do not think there is anything wrong with letting a business that I at one time supported know that they have lost my loyalty. I do agree that attacks should be avoided however. I do not think that stating that I go to the library to flip thru their publication is an attack. I also think my inquiry about the date of Rodale's acquisition of Backpacker was misinterpreted. If my memory serves me Rodale has been in control of the magazine since I read my first copy of it. I was not suggesting that they took it over and ruined it but rather that their style has changed over the years if they have in fact been in control of the publication since I discovered my first issue of it circa 1992. B.D. if you wish to discuss this topic at any further length feel free to PM me. I do not believe that I will post again at this thread.

Respectfully -jeff aka frankenfeet

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is getting to be too predictable and sad.

I’ve noticed the past few years just about the time Backpacker Magazines "Gear Guide" comes out some ultralight discontents feel they have to share their humble opinions and have this uncontrollable need to slam the magazine.

Hike your own hike and try to have an open mind.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Maybe BPL should do a print Gear Guide. Then we would all have something to drool over :D

Tom

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

They already do (sort of). Outdoor Retailer Show reports for summer and winter markets.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Ah. Oh well, I'm a new subscriber, so I had no idea that they did a print write up as well.

I'll just go back, sit in the corner, and shut up now ;)

Tom

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I can definetely keep a positive state of mind in regards to the Backpacker Gear Guide. How could I not be in a positive mood when I'm still laughing at the inclusion of the computer printer with a handle on it?!? Thanks for posting the pic, Jim!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I didn't know that Outdoor Retailer Show reports for summer and winter markets come in print form?

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Maybe this is old news here; sorry if it's a repost! Ray Jardine wrote a fanciful essay about Backpacker magazine that pretty much sums up my feelings about relying on mainstream press for any information.

http://www.ray-way.com/essays/cannonballs-01.shtml

If he wasn't climbing Mount Vinson right now after having just walked to the South Pole, he'd be laughing his ass off when he saw that Backpacker is now pimping portable printers.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools