Topic

New Backpacker – 30 miles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion New Backpacker – 30 miles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Jeff,

Good for you! I knew you could do it and its sounds like you had a great time to boot. Well, you better start saving your money for the gear binge :)

My advice is to spend a lot of time here researching any gear you need before purchasing. Also, focus on quality/utility not price so you don't have to dump that cheaper-doesn't-work-as-well stuff.

Chad Anderson

@kiddzoso

Locale: N. California

Glad to hear that the trip worked out. It's good to know what you're capable of doing. I find that it really does provide a morale boost for future trips. I suspect most new backpackers probably enjoy about a 6 to 8 mile day, to avoid being too tired and to take in the scenery. Not that you shouldn't push yourself, but you'll know that you can do something a bit more relaxing without any troubles on future trips (if you want).

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Glad it all worked out. Now that you have a good idea what your limits are you can plan feature trips around what works for you.

Jeff Landis
    BPL Member

@jeff6605-2

And, hey Luke. Thanks for the tips on the pain relievers. Vitimim-I came in handy!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Glad you enjoyed the trip! And yes, hang out here and become fully and completely addicted…

grin

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Jeff,
    Dang, I think that's pretty impressive for your first time out, especially with that elevation change!

Are you hooked yet? :)

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jeff, great job, glad to see you made it and made it back to the forum. I think you did better/more than most on this forum would/could do if they went out right now.
    BTW, the second day back is always the sorest. Its all down hill from here.

Jeff Landis
    BPL Member

@jeff6605-2

Yes! I think I am hooked. I am really curious to hike some not too familiar locations like up in Oregon, Washington, or back east, maybe the AT. So many options. Its great exercise for sure. Just what I need. I am also getting into road biking. Coinsidentily looks like there are a lot of bikers on this forum too. I will be back for sure. Great info and people here! :)

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Alright! Glad to here you enjoyed yourself despite the high mileage. You sir are a better man than I.
    20lbs isn't too bad for your first trip. Do what others have said and research before purchase and don't worry so much about price. I went the cheaper route, it still cost me a fortune, and now I can't talk my wife into letting me lighten, 'cause the stuff we have "is perfectly fine."

Douglas Prosser
    BPL Member

@daprosser

Locale: Camarillo, California (SCAL)

I was one of the crazy leaders of this Meet-up group section hike of the PCT along with Todd Hein & Sandy Smith. We really enjoyed having Jeff with us. It was fun to see backpacking through the eyes of someone brand new to it. The other three of us hikers have been doing it a number of years and have gotten our kits down really low in weight.

I loan Jeff a bunch of gear from my seconds so he could really see how lightweight gear performs & to see how a low weight on your back helps to go down the trail a bit faster. He was carrying GG Mariposa Plus w/ Z-rest; Golite Adrenaline 20 degree; SMD Lunar Solo; BPL Cocoon Pullover, Patagonia R4 (since he was worried about being cold). He got to cook trail food for the first time, still were hike=ing a bit after sunset, get water out of a cistern with rigged line & pot.

Driving home we had the question: Why do you do this? :-)))))

I hope we didn't beat him up too much. The three of us are in our 50's so having a 31y/o (Dive master) we thought he might show us up. But the three of us can hike 3+ mph all day long, up, down, or flat and Jeff stayed with us. I hope he comes back for more.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Bwuahaha…y'alls better pay up before I gotta grab my trusty baseball bat!

Excellent work on your first trip, that elevation gain is killer.

Although those 50 year olds and their pace put me to shame, and I've only got half as much wear and tear on my legs!!

That's it, I'm going out this weekend to train!

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools