Topic

Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Podcast: Sub-3 on the PCT with Glen Van Peski

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan

Douglas, you wondered if anyone carries stuff in front. Well besides my home-grown belly I don't really anymore (the biggest weight reduction I could achieve).

I have, however, tried front carry systems long ago. Years back I carried a Dana Designs Wet Rib. When I could get it snugged down so it wouldn't bounce around it worked acceptably well for water and snacks. However, overall I have found that keeping my water in water bottles in side pockets or using a hydration bladder plus keeping the days snacks in the top lid of my backpack is how I prefer to go.

I could imagine situations where I might go with a front pack again, but I'm not in a hurry to try any now mostly because I'm not a big fan of things bouncing on my front even a modest bit (why I don't like a camera hanging off my necks down my front; hanging across my shoulders, like a purse, is bad enough – though I do that often).

** Ken **

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Nice listen. I'm looking forward to more BPL recordings. If I could make one nitpicky minor suggestion, I would make some strong cuts on the introductory material. You have to listen to about 1 full minute of description, summary, & soundtrack before you get to the actual content. I'd contrast this with something like the 43 Folders podcasts, which are generally introduced and on their way in the first 2-10 seconds. I don't really think there's a strong need to imitate radio format here.

Speaking of water belts and their cousins, it'll be interesting to see where front packs go from here. It looks like Aarn has a good lead, but they're heavy. I wonder what the UL folks will figure out over the next couple years.

-Mark

mark henley

@flash582

Very enjoyable .. .the pictures brought the podcast to life for me ….

Glen is always a great listen anyway … loved his "lighten up" video from his website as well.

Keep up the Podcasts and Carol …. I don't think anyone could have a better "golden throat" than you … you have a great interviewing style, talk at a great pace, and have a pleasant voice.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Anybody know of a good light-weight fanny pack that could double as a speeder belt for water carry?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Brawny used to make them, but she's closed down her store.

I bet D.O. over at Oware could put one together to your specs in a very short period of time, but this is just a guess on my part.

In fact, I'd love to replace my 6oz 450in^3 cordura 25+ yr old EddieBauer fanny/abdominal pack with an UL silNylon one too. I'd probably take 2 or 3 of them as they won't last as long as 25yrs.

So, D.O., if you see this Post, what are the chances of getting some?

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Brawny used to make them, but she's closed down her store.

Yeah, I'm bummed because I wanted one of those fanny packs too, as well as the huge over-mitts/VB socks. (My Da Kine fanny pack weighs 7.0 oz.)

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

I bet the kind folks over at TiGoat might have some silNylon laying around, plus a zipper or two, and some webbing & buckles for belts that would make a nice fanny/lower-abdominal pack.

Both Oware & TiGoat seem amenable to custom orders.

I'm guessing that next to a stuff sack, a small zippered pack like we're desiring here might be the next easiest thing to sew (just guessing as i can't sew).

Ronald Gaulden

@ch1cote

Would it be too much to ask for a transcript for those who would like to read the interview and for those who are hearing impaired?

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ryan Jordan,

I really like that you plan to include wilderness recordings. I'm not sure if this means 'sounds of nature' or podcasting in the wilderness, but I will say that one of my favorite podcasts to date has been backpackinglight.cu.uk's August 13, 2006 recording titled "Andy tries a tarp and bivy night for the first time!"

What made it so fun was that he gave his impressions of tarp/bivy camping while on the trail, rather than as a post-trip review. So you hear him talk about the tarp setup while it's still fresh in his mind, and with the sounds of the tarp flapping in the wind behind him. The next morning he describes his night, recording the section while still in his bivy. So while talking about how the system handled the showers that blew through at night, you can hear the birds chirping in the background and the stove lighting up.

Having these background noises provided much more of an immersion experience, like I was along for the trip. It used the audio format to its best, so that it was more than just an 'alternative' to text. Neither text nor pictures can provide that type of immersion, and video leaves less to the imagination (the audio can be supplemented by photos as you are already doing).

It was also fun that he brought along someone tarping for the first time, so there was someone with less experience with the gear to compare experiences, to have some humor with, and to carry the conversation forward (so it didn't resort to 'Survivorman-style' solo reporting).

This is just one of many types appoaches, but I think taking advantage of the medium in this manner will add significantly more value to the podcast section of this website. I would love to hear members of the BPL team giving a shelter review during a raging thunderstorm!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I think it's great to be able to listen to two knowledgeable (and enthusiastic) people talk about a topic that interests me. Both the questions and answers are helpful. I have some Gossamer Gear equipment and have been very happy with both the performance and their customer service.

One suggestion on the podcasts would be to include the length of the podcast next to the download button to help plan how much time is needed to listen to it. With three kids, I have to reserve time around "Daddy Duty."

I also agree that Glen's DVD "Lighten Up" was enjoyable to watch and Andy Howell's podcast about trying a bivy provided other insights that you don't get from plain text. I miss Bob Butler's Trailcast, but just saw an interview with him on backpackinglight.co.uk that I plan to listen to tonight on the trip home.

Lighten UP Link — http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Ultralight_makeover_DVD.html

mark henley

@flash582

Thomas,

What did you think of Jackie in the Video …. she struck me as being very sincere … not to mention cute!

I wasn't aware of this before, but apparently she's not just a hiking guide, but she also does a lot of Alpine Climbing …

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

You know, I just got that DVD earlier this week. REALLY well done! And, like you said, Jackie seemed very sincere…and cute. Just don't tell my wife I said that!

Tom

Glen Van Peski
    BPL Member

@gvanpeski

Locale: San Diego

Jackie is all of that, also happily married with a new baby boy…

–Glen

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Well just crush everyone's hopes and dreams there Glen! lol

Tom

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Have been putting off listening to one of these podcasts because, with aging, I'm getting more & more particular about what kind of new stuff I'm willing to take the time to learn whatever's needed to make use of it. If it takes revisiting schooldays to master, then it had sure better be really good new stuff. I mean, how much more useless stuff can my computer take in???

Now it seems that delaying a plunge into BPL's podcast experience was itself a waste of good times. I quickly found that my learning curve for managing a quick listen to one of BPL's podcasts was almost vertical.

An excellent idea, and the Glen and Carol show was great. Look forward to more of the same. But I also agree with others who worry that the spoken word for all of the same material will not continue to be readily available at BPL for much easier reference and for anyone who disapproves of directions technology takes (forces upon) us everyday.

KISS would be a pretty good motto for many lightweighters, and podcasts are not only worthwhile, but very simple and [this] user friendly.

Thanks for another innovative chapter in BPL's success.

JRS

Jim Lynch

@giniajim

Sorry for getting in late on this. Very interesting. I note that no cooking gear was carried, so I guess the food is all non-cook. Could you provide a list or some examples of what you used? thnx!

Glen Van Peski
    BPL Member

@gvanpeski

Locale: San Diego

Nothing too exciting. I figured that with the heat (Mojave Desert in June) and mileage (over 40 miles the first full day) I wouldn't be too hungry, especially not for hot food. I took salted roasted nuts, some dried fruit, Pro bars (My current favorite) as well as some other bars, some candies to suck on, those peanut butter cheese cracker sandwich things, etc. The big ahah for me on this trip in terms of 'food' was the EmergenC Joint Health powder. I did 3 or 4 of these a day, and in spite of getting severly dehydrated on the second full day, I had NO stiffness or aches, during the night, in the morning, or after rest stops. I could have taken more interesting no-cook food options, but with the mileage I had planned I was trying to minimize preparation time. Otherwise I would have included some dried hummus, tabouleh, maybe refried beans, etc.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Does your LuxuryLite front pack intefere with your seeing where your feet are being placed? That is my big concern.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools