Topic

New Golite Line NOW for sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Golite Line NOW for sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

All Golite's new packs have been released on http://www.backcountrygear.com. Just put my order in for the Jam 2!

Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

i checked product availability (for the jam2) and it says they're all on backorder. you know the ship date?

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Not sure when it will ship. I didn't realize it was backordered; I was just so excited they finally came out. I purchased, but nowhere does it tell me when it will actually be shipped. Golite hasn't updated their site yet, so it may be once Golite starts selling them on their website.

David Ure

@familyguy

NM

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

David, this is another trick of many OnLine Retailers. At least, BCG doesn't charge one's CC b/f they ship. Or, at least, that has always been their policy in my past experience with them. Others are not so reputable. I only learned this by being caught in their "leg hold" [trap] myself in the past. They advertised, sometimes a month or more ahead of time, take your order and charge your card (once approx. SIX months ahead of time as product was continually delayed – NOT talkin' Big Sky here). Sure, you can cancel and ask for a refund. Some are good at stringing you along w/periodically updated DATES that the product is now scheduled to arrive. It changes by just two or three weeks, that i would figure, "Well, Johnson, it's only another 2-3 weeks, so, since you've waited this long, why not another couple of weeks." Clever folk that they are. Guess that's why they are successful businessmen, and i'm a flop at business and consulting ventures.

When i read this morning the listing of new Posts, i immediately went to the GoLite website to see them. Not there. The picture immediately became clearer. I think some retailers do this and don't even identify it as a pre-order in order to gauge the INTEREST of the audience in the product???

BCG is a good company – just like you said. They don't charge until they ship, and they probably (???) will ship Orders chronologically (first placed = first shipped). That's my guess anyways.

EDIT:
    Should be able to get some really good deals on Gust, Jam, etc. once the new products arrive. I've purchased even year old GoLite packs for as low as $30 (a hideous "Incredible Hulk" green monstrosity – but it functions perfectly which is mostly what matters) and $50 (for nicer colors). I would expect similar low prices when the NEW LINE (and not just annual updates to existing packs) are introduced. The current packs that i am familiar with are really quite excellent, IMHO. The new ones are better (if i understood Mr. Skurka's writings correctly), but someone won't go wrong saving money on the earlier/current product line either. Just a thought that might benefit someone on a tight budget.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

I was fine with the backorder, but on the home page of the website at BCG it says:

"For 2007, GoLite has completely redesigned their backpacks. Golite's new packs drive home the "lighter and faster" philosophy, while keeping packing comfortable and affordable. All 2007 Golite packs are now in stock and shipping."

I checked availability on the new packs and they seem to all be "backordered". I really like BCG and have used them a lot. I have never had any problems before. I hope this isn't one of these "string the buyer along tricks", but I have no reason to think this since they have had such good service in the past. That being said, it specifically states on the website the packs are in stock and shipping….hopefully they just messed up on the availability and not on their advertising of the Golite line.

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

It sounds like companies are gearing up for Spring! Any word on the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus? That's what I'm waiting for. GG says it will be sometime in 2007.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

David S wrote: I hope this isn't one of these "string the buyer along tricks.

I have the perception, as on old business lawyer, that you all — the UL/SUL and L community, and BPL as a sort of condensation point — are influencing the industry and they are trying to catch up with the market. I also think pj is right, if the businesses are surprised by a radical increase in interest in light weight gear they may use pre-ordering or sample gear to test whether to invest in the purchase of inventory.

I get that feeling dealing with REI, for example, in discussing the UL series packs they make. The bigger companies, and even some of the smaller cottage industry businesses, seem to be redesigning as fast as they can to meet the demands for light, or UL, gear that is durable. And, they are trying to figure out comfort in the equation.

I talked with a Mountain Hardwear person a few weeks ago and they told me that their tent people are designing and redesigning and redesigning now for the market two years down the road to try to keep up.

Thus, I think there is a kind of push to capture market share and pre-orders or orders in advance of availability. That said, I don't think most businesses (or those that are in it for the long haul) try to fool the customers, they get caught with demand exceeding the stock on hand and the manufacturing process takes time so they end up not really being honest about what they have on hand and what is supposed to be coming in "soon."

All I am really trying to get at here is the businesses are now trying to keep up with the users demands for product and they may be getting hit with a wave, tidal wave, of demand because the UL people are winning not only recognition but influencing the larger market consumer base to deman lighter weight gear. Just a thought.

bd

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

For those still up in the air: I ordered a Jam2 from BCG yesterday morning, and it shipped yesterday as well. I talked to a rep who said they had only just received them the day before.

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

Thats great new Jason. What color did you order? I have not been able to locate the new colors for the Jam2, except for the blue one on bcg. I was in Boulder last September and went to the Golite warehouse/store/headquarters there and I was able to check out the new Jam2. I then put it on my buy list. It was very comfortable, with better shoudler padding, and I really liked the way you could cinch down the volume of the pack for summitting. Good luck with your new pack and please keep us informed of how you like it.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I better call them and run up to Boulder. I'm going to put an ION and the new ULA Amp through their paces and see if either one will work for me this summer.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I've been watching the ULA website for more info on the Amp. Do you know more about the pack than what has been posted on the website?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

I emailed Brian. He said:
    "As for comparative purposes, the AMP has 3 exteral pockets, and a very good compression system…"

I just wanted to post details about the Amp, not anything he said about comparing it to the Ion as it was not a public conversation.

He also said he's working on getting some Amp's sewn and in stock before he posts the rest of the info but that should be happening soon. Hopefully this weekend he'll get some done if we're lucky.

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Folks…

As Chris mentioned the AMP is coming along. In the past I've been in the habit of allowing orders to be placed before I had stock built up. I am trying to behave myself this year…so no order ability until I have a few around, which I am planning to do by 2/1/07. As for some details…3 external pockets, dyneema gripstop, 1.9 oz nylon, and a VERY active compression system. Since I added a front pocket the weight has increased to 10 oz and the volume has increased by ~400 cu in.

Also, should all the stars of production align, I have another SUL Pack in the works which is full suspension (read: actual load transfer) and ~4,000 cu in. 5 external pockets, dyneema gridstop, 1.9 oz nylon, and VERY active compression. I hope to have this pack ready to go by 3/1/07.

Anyway, just thought I'd provide some more clarity.

Brian

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Any weight projections on the ~4,000 cu in. 5 external pockets model?
    Thanks,
    MIkeB

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

GoLite Jam2 :: Backpacking
    Nintendo Wii :: Gaming
    Apple iPhone :: Gadgets

So much hype and excitement on the new Jam2. I have to to keep telling myself that my Infinity is a GREAT pack and I don't need a new pack.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Does anyone know what color "Grease" is on the new GoLite packs???

Is it a true grey color or some off color purple or something???

thanks for any info …

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Mike-

Yeah…16 oz. My apologies for not including that info in the original post.

Brian

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

Michael, If you go to backcountrygear.com, they show each of the colors, but you have to look at different packs to see them. I believe that grease was shown on the Ion pack. It is a true gey color. Also, I called the company and they have not updated their availability page, however, the packs are definitely in stock and shipping.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Brian, Any chance you'll make a Catalyst pack without the foam back, allowing a GG Nightlight Pad insertion in it's place?

I've been interested in this pack for sometime;yet want to carry the Pad as the back foam. Also maybe have a gussetted rear pocket that could hold more loosely packed wet stuff to dry.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

thanks for the info stephen

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Just talked to GoLite. The online retailers have all the stock at the moment. I was going to pick one up at the warehouse here in Boulder but they don't even have any themselves. Ordered up a Large grease Ion from backcountry plus a couple GPS mounts for my bikes.

BTW the Ion is the only unisex pack in the new lineup, the rest are men/women specific. Can't wait until it gets here!

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

Thanks for the update Christopher. Please let us know what you think of the Ion after it arrives.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

So you guys getting the ion don't care about outside pockets? I guess Plesko is used to it having used the REI flash UL. It would force use of platypus type water holders and not bottles huh?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I can't wait to see the new Amp! It sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'd love to get an MLD pack, but I don't know if a silnylon pack would hold up for me. I try to be gentle on my gear, but sometimes I can't avoid it. The dyneema might be a better option for me. And the Amp's volume should be just right for me. We'll have to see what MLD comes out with when they relaunch. Hopefully its soon, I'm getting anxious!

Adam

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools