Topic

Dear Santa…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dear Santa…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

What gear or apparel would everyone like to see that does not yet exist? Maybe the gear makers will listen (ok, probably not)…

What I'd like is one of these companies to design, sew, or better yet, weld a truly UL waterproof jacket (Neoshell*, Gore Pro-shell, 3-layer, or even proprietary stuff) with an UL fleece liner ( something on the order of the Patagonia D-luxe fleece, the hoody weighing in at 9.7 oz but replace some thickness with zip/zip-in system). Yes, these "3-in-1" systems exist for skiers, but wish they'd bring it down to less than 10 oz for each piece for a combined weight of less than 20 oz for the lightweight traveler, hiker, and everyday user.

(*Add/Edit : though I just read Field Testing Waterproof Breathable … Part 3 from BPL from early Oct, answering most of the above. Obviously missed that article)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

My list is simple
    I want a helium filled backpack so I have a negative weight of about 80 pounds. In other words the pack will lift up on me. I will skip down the trail effortlessly covering 30-40s a day.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i'll keep it real easy
    i just want to go to the mountains!

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I want a helium filled backpack so I have a negative weight of about 80 pounds. In other words the pack will lift up on me

Think that's been done in the last year or so, with some success but in the other attempt (iirc Brazil), they still haven't located the body…

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

I would like a truly effective, efficient, lightweight solar charger with a battery pack. Charge that battery all day, use that to fully charge a phone/camera/GPS/smaller batteries at night.

Also, it should only cost $8. Too far?

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I would like gear in more earth tone colors that blend in to the surrounding of nature instead of the god awful colors you offer now.
    A simple black 1.9oz. SIlnylon one man light weight durable tube type tent that pitches with no poles just a simple line between each tree. And has optional mosquito netting curtain that hangs down down at the entrance.
    Terry

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I would like two dozen 55 gallon drums of 87 octane unleaded gasoline delivered to my residence, please.

In addition, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like a letter, addressed to my employer, firmly endorsing a two year sabbatical to further my studies in art, mountain geography, and the study of North American flora and fauna.

Thank You Sir.

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

A note to give to work on any Friday to get a 3 day weekend to go backpacking.
    My "actually can happen" item would be a harder/stronger area on the back of my hard shell. My murmur has the velcro strip and 2 weeks ago it wore a 1 inch by 2 inch hole in the fabric on my back. I like the idea on the cheap charger. I also wish a company would make a gps, mini flashlight, steripen, headlamp, camera, and mp3 player that all used the same size battery. Maybe 1 or 2 AAA.

My dream thing would be a 5 day weather forecast that does not change hourly. We're predicting weather on distant galaxies better than in TEXAS! I guess if you are wrong about "space" weather, nobody would know anyway.

A partridge in a pear tree would be cool, but I don't have to have it.

Valiums sold without a prescription would be cool, but that's a whole different topic.

Packs with straps on a dispensing roll, so when you cut em too short, you can just pull out more. (see Valiums)

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

A truly lightweight point-and-shoot digital waterproof camera that uses AAA batteries.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

something that works simply at a reasonable price and doesnt cost an arm and a leg …

i dont need the fancy marketing either …

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Grav-Sled.

Cheers

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Key work "quality" here. I can buy kids stuff at REI that will do, but does not compare to what else is out there.
    For backpacking:
    Tarps and tents that don't have a whole extra foot and a half at my feet and more width than I need.
    Sleeping bags and quilts without an extra 6 to 8 inches at my feet.
    Trekking poles that are short and thin.

In general:
    Work boots in small sizes.
    Work gloves in small sizes.
    Smaller yet just as powerful weedeaters, just loose the extra length.
    Harnesses for small people.
    Tools, tools, tools for small people that don't just "tinker".

Kim Perley

@amanita

I want to see all the fabulous, innovative, lightweight cottage gear that we love so much at actual physical stores where I can try it on. I understand the logistical problems to a certain extent, but to try on Zpacks, ULA, MLD, ect packs ect all in the same place so that I can feel them before I order.

Perhaps the way to get around this would be to have "model" items that stay in the store and then each piece of gear is custom ordered (with the normal wait time). Yes there would be costs, but giving more exposure to these companies would also increase their profits.

Packs are the main thing that I am too scared to buy without trying, but would love to take the leap into cottage gear.

This way I wouldn't get looked at like I have to heads when I say I'm looking for an overnight pack under 3lbs!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The problem with having retail stores carry cottage gear is that the price would have to be marked way up for the retailer's margin. By buying from the manufacturer, you get basically a wholesale price.

It would be great if there were more gatherings like the various "trail days" where manufacturers could show their gear. Of course I had to miss the one here in Cascade Locks because my dog developed giardia–instead I spent the afternoon cleaning up my car and letting the dog outside every 20-30 minutes. I understand the attendance at that one was poor, which is a real hardship for manufacturers coming from a long distance (such as Joe of ZPacks from Florida).

Return postage is not that big a deal. If the item turns out not to be for you, just be sure to return it before the manufacturer's "grace" period expires.

As for gear I'd like to see: it's a truly lightweight rain jacket of that "unobtainium" fabric which is extremely breathable, 100% waterproof, doesn't abrade under pack straps, doesn't need its DWR renewed, lasts for at least 5 years of hard wear and doesn't cost several hundred dollars for a jacket!

I'd also like more subdued colors in clothing, especially women's clothing. I am sick and tired of bright pastels or wine-vomit purple. Black absorbs heat in hot weather and is not a great color around a blond perpetually-shedding dog. What ever happened to khaki?

Gabriel Diaz

@freelancer

Locale: South Florida

"I would like a truly effective, efficient, lightweight solar charger with a battery pack. Charge that battery all day, use that to fully charge a phone/camera/GPS/smaller batteries at night.

Also, it should only cost $8. Too far?"

I'll take two, please!

a b

@ice-axe

I need wool socks bad.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

A Climbing Pack that uses this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA&feature=player_embedded

to haul my rack and rope!

"It's not floating, It's Locked!"

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Basically just the opposite of Katharina's wishes as we are at different ends of the size spectrum.

And a traditional style 2 person 4 season tent, side entry.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Kat! Seriously check out the Yama Mountain GearS' "Stratiform I" tarp! I think it's just what you'd like!

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Seam sealed gear! I could care less if some gnome does it in the basement or whatever. Retarded imop but buying a expensive tent or pack or cubin product and then having to seam seal. Really WTF!!!

Also health freaking feet, I am gonna loose my head if i have to live around my dam feet for one more day.

Ow yeah and enough $$$$$ to bail outa traditional life and lead a meager existence traveling to climb 4-5 times a year all while living in a shack in the middle of the freaking woods with only running water and a wood stove as creature comforts. Not to much money though as that just ruins human beings…

Come on Santa you can fit all that in the sleigh right?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I would like a magical pair of highly wicking, fast drying, super breathable, LEVI'S 501's and a midweight merino wool flannel shirt with a checkered lumberjack red and black pattern.

Gracias.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

Anything that isn't being made to my satisfaction or requirements so far I've just made and it's all to personalized for a gear maker to offer it. What I'd really like is some people who would backpack with me here in N Ga that don't want to do 15-20 miles a day and walk faster than I can run. My body just isn't there yet and I don't want to go by myself.

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

How about Inov-8 shoes in brown? Ideally, they would be shankless and with endurance rubber soles (amazingly, they only have two with endurance rubber and no shanks, one in yellow and one in lime green). Custom sized would be nice too.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

patrick, I have to agree with you about seam sealing. "Here's a shelter that won't keep you dry……yet" what?!
    I mean its not the end of the world, but i don't buy a backpack that I have to sew the straps on, or a cookset that I have to machine, or a down jacket that I have to stuff with down, just finish the product.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

A pair of WPB boots (not low cuts) that weigh less than 2 lb. and have a good sole that doesn't let you feel every d@mn pebble on the tread. Inov8 is NOT what I'm talking about.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools