Topic

Backcountry Aesthetics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Backcountry Aesthetics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

The bamboo mat is a nice place to slice bread and cheese.
    No, it's not UL, but I think it's more fun than eating out of a Ziploc bag with a Taco Bell spork.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I like your multi cultural place setting. Nice arty Mora.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I love kuskas. I need to carve myself one some day.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Very nice. Some folks seem to think we should eschew aesthetics when we venture into the backcountry. I like it better your way!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I think there's a time and place for everything. I've done my share of carrying 3 ounce cook kits. I certainly wouldn't be carrying the set above of I were trying to do 30+ miles in a day.

Stamati Anagnostou

@yeoldehipster

Locale: New England

There's something to be said for having beautiful kit in unfamiliar places. If you become lonely or frightened, something that reminds you of home can be a godsend.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Bamboo sushi mats can actually be pretty UL. I often carry one as a work station – so I can make wraps and what not – and not get any of "God's Salt and Pepper" in my meal (that was my English Nana's claim of what sand was….yuck)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Been slowly organizing the garage due to the Boss's orders :(

Came across some old stuff. I am very found of the classic stuff I started out with. To me they are all beautiful and functional, although not real light.

Sierra Cup

On the left is a Sigg-Tourist cook set. Includes 2.5 qt and 3.5 qt pots, pot holder, lid can be used on either pot and as a frying pan. Very easy to clean. Also holds a Svea 123 perfectly.

The knife is a Buck model 121 Fisherman knife, circa early 1970s. Back in the day it was easy to supplement meals with trout and the Sigg pan came in handy.

In the center is a Sierra Cup which was once probably the most common item used by backpackers. The cup on the right is a Rocky cup. The bend in the handle makes is much easier to hold than the Sierra cup, and I found the taller profile more convenient. Both hold about 10 or 12 ounces if I remember correctly.

The Boss prefers I get rid of all the old stuff that takes up space, but I can't bear to part with a lot of it. About once a year I do a weekend trip with all the old gear to include my old Kelty D4 pack. I get a lot of weird comments if I run into people, especially with my white beard and the old aluminum Tracks hiking staff.

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

I often return to this thread, both in my mind and on the web, to appreciate the ideas and beauties of backcountry simplicity. It is basic and commonplace, and I enjoy that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools