Topic

Dont buy this jacket …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dont buy this jacket …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

grain of salt fellas….

btw, in case anyone was wondering, I bought 3 of "those jackets" 2 for me. you know just in case.

I bought the other for eric and I had "PATAGUCCI" embroidered on the back as large as would possibly fit.

Craig Savage

@tremelo

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains

"I bought the other for eric and I had "PATAGUCCI" embroidered on the back as large as would possibly fit."

that's how it's done right dare. Thank you

can anyone tell me the Arc'Teryx equivalence? I own both brands and already use the "patagucci" term quite a bit, the hipster in me needs to know about this urban-slang stuff

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Art

Thats yr opinion

Personally i have no desire to read multi pargraph essays on an internet forum over some minor argument no one will "win" anyways

But then its the posters choice to write that … If it concerns you so much i suggest asking BPL to ban all posts that arent grammatically correct

IMO … Those who nitpick over the posting style on an internet forum of all places …are those who have nothing better to say

Im not the one assuming mental illness on another bpl member …

Just my opinion

Edit …. Note to mods this is way off "topic"

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"can anyone tell me the Arc'Teryx equivalence? I own both brands and already use the "patagucci" term quite a bit, the hipster in me needs to know about this urban-slang stuff"

Craig, that would be "Deadbird".

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Thank you, Kat. Now I finally know what the heck that means.

Craig Savage

@tremelo

haha, that's awesome. Thanks!

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

I know this has totally devolved from the OP, but Eric: it's not cute or hip or edgy to appear unintelligent. You can type just as fast using real words with proper punctuation, and the point that you want to communicate gets across more clearly and in a way that other people (and search engines) can better understand.

You obviously care to be heard. You've posted over 2000 times on this website. The reason BPL exists is because of people that want the best from themselves and the tools they use in the backcountry. It's not a stretch for you to extend some basic common courtesy to the people who's work you use and appreciate so people can understand the point you're trying to make without getting a headache.

Dave T

@davet

"You obviously care to be heard. You've posted over 2000 times on this website."

2100 posts in 18 months. And countless posts on BP and RC and God knows what other internet forums. It's getting so that certain people can hardly find time to climb some off-width gnar in a Patagonia fleece and Arc'teryx tights.

Craig Savage

@tremelo

"it's not cute or hip or edgy to appear unintelligent."

I don't think he's trying to be cute, hip or edgy. He's trying to be himself, perhaps y'all will stop forcing a template of intelligence on him -> it's looking kinda' dumb to do so

"You can type just as fast using real words with proper punctuation, and the point that you want to communicate gets across more clearly and in a way that other people (and search engines) can better understand."

again, SUBJECTIVE! He comes across quite clear, just as your intolerance is coming across quite clear.

"It's not a stretch for you to extend some basic common courtesy to the people who's work you use and appreciate so people can understand the point you're trying to make without getting a headache."

It's not a stretch to extend some basic common courtesy to not judge someone based on grammatical clarity. No headaches here and I suggest using the ignore option if you're taking it that serious.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Kyle

Take from it what you will

If you cant read my posts … Then dont read em

I skip over many lengthy post …. Simply because im not reading 10+ properly formtted paragraphs that simply argue a minor point … I dont tell the posters not to write those APA style papers

This isnt work and it isnt academia … Its a free worl to post as one likes

Enough people i find understand enough of my posts

This who dont and complain … I would suggest reading some of the other excellent long posts from other members

You really shouldnt read this particular post as it can be difficult and is the work of a mentally damaged individual … According to some bpl members

How a few extra " …" Has bpl up in arms ;)

I suggest starting a particular thread for this topic in chaff if it so concerns you …

As to dead bird … Dead bird themselves uses it and said it was a term of endearment …. Ill find the quote when i get back to an actual computer … Ie not an iphone

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow – looks like a bit of bullying going on.

I could care less how Eric posts. What I care more about is the content of the posts. Eric does just fine in this area.

He also probably gets out to the mountains more often that many of you combined.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

It is interesting to note that similar discussions regarding Eric's posting style have occurred at more than a few other sites.

The typical result was that Eric stopped or greatly reduced his posting and moved onto another site. :P

Craig Savage

@tremelo

"It is interesting to note that similar discussions regarding Eric's posting style have occurred at more than a few other sites."

queue that tired jab… sure, it's interesting – interesting to someone with an axe to grind ;P

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Chad

As indicated by the mods .. If you prefer personal attacks, please put them in chaff

Ill not respond to this particular one specifically other than say the above

Thanks chad ;)

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

nm

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Not an axe to grind.

As Eric himself has said this is his chosen posting style. I personally don't mind how Eric says it, I do have an issue with what Eric says.

All I'm doing is pointing out that Eric's chosen posting style seems to cause him a good deal of drama and this self imposed drama seems to upset him enough that he leaves sites.

Nothing personal, no attacks, simply pointing out the facts.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I brought up Erics posting style, as i found it very difficult to follow. However, i feel a little uneasy if i've started a 'get Eric' scenario. I don't like folk being picked on simply because they are different. He replied, and it is up to others to accept or not, his reasons.
    One of the things i like about BPL is the friendliness of its members.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

@Mike, I certainly didn't find your post unreasonable. It came across to me as friendly advice.
    Personally, I find posts in styles similar to Eric's more difficult to read, but that may be an age thing. How many people finding it difficult were born in the 60s or before? I would prefer a bit more care in writing, but I certainly don't feel anybody has the right to demand that anybody change their writing style if the post is not abusive.

Craig Savage

@tremelo

"All I'm doing is pointing out that Eric's chosen posting style seems to cause him a good deal of drama and this self imposed drama seems to upset him enough that he leaves sites."

pointing it out over & over again. We get it, promise… nah, not looking personal at all *eyes roll*

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

According to Eric, he is typing on an iPhone. It's tough enough when I type a response on an iPad2, let alone the smaller screen of an iPhone.

Especially the younger crowds are using their smartphones as "mini-computers"; some of my college students follow my highly technical diagrams (posted on a server) on their iPhone/Android/whatever screen. Whether voluntary r enforced minimalism, its the wave of (yr) future. ;)

ADD: Sorry to hijack the thread.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Thanks Mike for deescalating things. I haven't participated in this topic because it went downhill immediately due to personal attacks on Eric. Attacks which Eric has deflected effectively without resorting to personal attacks of his own. I feel he's a valuable member of this community, and these attempts to degrade him or imply that he should leave are childish, narrow-minded, and certainly not in the congenial spirit of our community. The idea that anyone here should ask another member to leave is comical, especially considering Eric is a PAYING member, unlike a number a folks who attacked him.

ROCK ON Eric! There is at least one member here who values both your contributions and the style they're delivered in.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

@William.
    Yeah, i'm a child of the '60's. At Scottish schools, we were legally beaten with a leather tawse if our work wasn't up to scratch. Maybe that's why i find it difficult to understand why someone would write like that deliberately! :)

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Guilty as charged – I think William may have hit the nail on the head as far as it being somewhat of a generational thing.

Craig Savage

@tremelo

"ROCK ON Eric! There is at least one member here who values both your contributions and the style they're delivered in.

two members and I'm sure more that exercise the priceless gift of ignoring all this drivel. Thanks for posting, Scott (and the rest of you, thanks as well. I am glad to see people trying to be expressive on this without resorting to asbergers or ESL comments)

David Ure

@familyguy

I'm surprised you can even use a keyboard.

You aren't now going to start talking about walking to school in minus 30 degree weather with your pants down around your ankles and your 'blank' hanging out. No wait, that was Eric wasn't it.

Really? I mean, did you really have to say that? I think you have time for an edit.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools