Topic

Dont buy this jacket …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dont buy this jacket …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I'm not sure what is going on here.

Patagonia doesn't really cost that much more than other decent brands. Plus I'm lucky to have the original Great Pacific Ironworks nearby, an old Patagonia outlet store that sells Patagonia seconds in all the weird colors nobody but me would like and thrift stores where sometimes Patagonia gear shows up with the tags still on. So yeah, my closet is jam packed with the stuff.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Oh Eric why don't you get an original idea for some posts here. All you've been doing is lurking on RC.com and then instead of replying to threads there you post them up here.

I'm starting to think that only reason you post here is because you can't take the negative criticism your inflammatory posts receive over at RC.com.

Or is it that you're posting like this here because waiting for your butt to heal up after being ripped a new one over at RC.com?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

personal attacks .. no surprised chad …

"butt ripping", "inflamatory" … etc ….bringing up lies you say about things in other forums … yr the one who is being inflamatory

im still waiting for the "absolute certainty" of my supposed post on backpcaker that you claim ,… of which there are none … you simply lied

thats yr style and i expect you to continue to keep "contributing" like that ;)

all my supposed posts at backpacker …

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

You want to post up the screenshot of your admin deleted trolling account you had before that at BP.com? Yeah didn't think so.

How about your account at RC.com?

Regardless someone saying that that most of your posts don't make sense isn't a personal attack, it's just stating a fact.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

chad miller

i want you to post up the evidence of any "prior" accounts from backpacker.com … or any evidence at all

you are making libelous statements on a public forum … you have clearly stated that i have made posts on backpacker.com and continue to insist on it … you have made statements about fictional accounts .. these statements are all a matter of public record

please provide any evidence of any such phantom imaginary accounts

you are lying plain and simple … i will say this on a public forum

i expect you to continue with the personal attacks over and over again … and your libel

thank you

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

You have an account on RC.com.

You had and account on BP.com prior to the one you registered in 2011. That prior account was removed by admins and the user (you) where banned for a period of time for not following the terms of use of that site.

As for what I'm saying is libel, you are incorrect. For my statements to be considered libel they have to be:

1. Knowingly be untrue.
    2. Cause damage to your reputations that causes financial or physical damages to you.

My stating that you're not being truthful about having an account that was banned by admins at BP.com is neither of those.

Now in a good faith and to continue the flow of conversation on this site I make a pledge to no bring up your past bad behavior as long as you treat the members of this site with some humanity and respect. Stop trying to act like the big guy here on BPL just because you don't have the ability to do so on RC.com.

If you'd like to continue to debate this let's do it via PM as I'm sure people here are sick of hearing us argue.

I'm done.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

chad miller

you have stated publicly over and over again that i have made posts and have fictionary accounts on backpacker.com

you are clearly lying plain and simple

please produce evidence of such … these are plainly false accusations and libelous

many people here i suspect are on backpacker.com … if any of them can provide such evidence i invite them to do so ..

none will exists because you simply made it up … i am accusing you publicly of lying and making false accusations over my supposed posts and accounts on backpacker.com

my rockclimbing.com statements and account is a matter of public record

thank you

edit … ill leave it at that you can PM me with yr "evidence"

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

This thread is quickly spinning into Chaff territory. Please remember our forum ground rules (posted to the right every time you add a post):

Be civil, reasonable, and helpful. Off-topic, inflammatory, or inappropriate posts will be removed at our discretion. For more, view BPL Forum Ethics (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight//xdpy/forum_thread/1134/index.html)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

As I stated in my last post I agree.

BPL, I apologize for letting things get this heated and go this far.

Eric, as I stated before feel free to PM me if you want to continue this. Otherwise I'm done and will not be responding to your taunts.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

it is simple PATAGONIA telling you not to buy gear you dont need the past black friday weekend

they believed in it enough that they took out a full page add in the NYT

the question is how many followed their advice …

taunts and thread sidetracks aside ;)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I think that Patagonia add was just that, an add. An add to get you to buy their product.

Patagonia's laid back, earth friendly corporate image is their main marketing platform. They aren't being eco friendly and laid back because it's good for humanity, their doing it because it's their main (some may argue only) selling point and for Patagonia to stop doing so would be corporate suicide.

Dave T

@davet

"Stop trying to act like the big guy here on BPL just because you don't have the ability to do so on RC.com."

+1

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

There is still a big degree of reverse psychology in that ad. No one practice environmental piousness like Patagonia.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Brings up a law firm….

With all this talk of libel, is that a mere coincidence? :D

(Wearing my Patagonia Nano hoodie this coming weekend for breaks during a ski tour. I must be a poseur.. .;) )

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Ha that's funny!

It's actually rockclimbing.com

If you want you can look up Eric's screen name there, it's the same as here. You may get a kick out of his posting style. :P

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Four years ago I purchased two pair of Patagonia pants. Gi II, full leg, not the zip off at 10.4 oz per pair. One pair in "Retro Khaki" the other in "some other word" for brown. They may be the last pants I buy from Patagonia. When I first purchased these pants at approximately $45 per pair I was impressed with what I though was quality construction, excellent fabric, great fit, and a promise from Patagonia that when these pants reached the end of their usefulness I could donate them to be used for recycled garments via Patagonia. I can't loose, right? Well, I have to say that I feel that I've been taken advantage of. How long could these perfect pants hold up? How long until I get to shop again? One year, two maybe.

How about a wear cycle like this: Khaki pair on for two days, Brown Pair on for two days, repeat. Imagine a montage (Muppet style) of the pants constantly on my body, working, hiking, traveling, family gatherings, working, hiking, etc. Finally, this year on a hike in CO I sat on a rock that looked less sharp than it was and put a centimeter hole in the butt of the brown pair. Location of said hole is right where it counts.

So, I'm thinking ok. I get to go buy some new pants after four freaking years. Then I get this email. "Don't Buy This Jacket" Ok, cool. I won't. I don't need a jacket, no problem. Then after reading the whole email, and frankly because I'm kinda a smart guy, really, I put two and two together I figured that they were not just talking about that one blue jacket. They were really talking about any color jacket, any Patagonia product, (having another smart guy moment here, real time while typing… any product you don't need, you don't need).

I feel cheated. Here I am looking for a way to help this struggling economy, and Patagonia is telling me, "Hey, guy. We'll fix that hole in your butt. We'll even match the fabric. So when you see people looking at your butt, you can rest assured they're not just looking at the crappy patch job, but their genuinely interested in your butt." – approximate conversation with Patagonia Customer Service

I should be clear… I may not have to buy another pair of Patagonia pants. The construction is quality. The fabric pretty darn good. The fit is perfect for me. Not too loose, but not too tight, no chafe induced by seams or stitching.
    However, I'm not sure about the recycle portion of the deal. If they'll help me fix them, then I don't need to buy new pants. And if I don't need new pants these won't be recycled.

At about $45 per pair I've spent $23 per year to keep my lower body covered (you're welcome everyone). Those that know me, would say that's priceless.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Matt: Their stuff can last a long, long time. An older hiking acquaintance of mine has a Patagonia fleece, bought in 1985, whihc outlasted his hiking career (he just retired and starting some long trails back East when hit with a crippling disease – another story for another time). Comparing some Patagonia and other leading brand fleece I wear after work in colder weather, the Patagonia holds up better after 2 yrs., even color-wise, so the quality is there.

Still when I ripped a wind-resistant layer with a nail (helping push a vehicle off a road, I scraped a nail embedded in a telephone pole), it was a total loss for my LW R4 according to their customer service at the time. For city wear I'm going back to leather, probably backed with Kevlar (just semi-kidding). That nail could have done some damage.

(ed: punctuation)

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I used my 1983 hardshell Patagonia rain jacket this season, again, although I noted I have some seam-tape repairs to do inside the sleeves. The shell remains waterproof and the 1986 copy of a student newspaper left in the right outside pocket largely proves that, being essentially perfect other than at the folds. I purchased this as a second at Real Cheap Sports and I still haven't found the blem.

I occasionally still wear my 1982 fleece "bomber" jacket, also from Patagonia, but this one has an unfortunately imperfect patch on one arm from an encounter with a piece of angle iron that pierced the shell. Thankfully, my pants weren't involved with that incident…

I very often fantasize about fitting into my '85 Capilenes, which are fine, but seem to have shrunk in particular areas. Very odd, and clearly a product defect. Ahh, what the heck, I just bought some bigger ones a few years ago.

Back at the time I received my bomber jacket, Patagonia used to populate their print catalog with photos of owners in older gear. The old dude in a lobster boat with the red fleece on was an iconic image, at least to me. I often think that it would be cool if someone would snatch a photo of me when I'm hip deep in a mid-storm trail repair while wearing the old shell, would they run a photo of a product they obsoleted two decades ago? Would I be cool, then? Ha Ha!

If it's a good product, buy it. If it comes from China or Argentina or Turkey, but it's a solid product and you like the price, buy it. If somebody else has a problem with that, well then change your whole life to satisfy them.

Or not. I got my part figured out. I'd buy Patagonia again, if they'd just make more tall stuff.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

@Eric.
    When you first started posting, i thought English was your second language, or maybe you were dyslexic, as your posts were difficult to read and understand. They are sometimes written like a drunk child.
    However, your last posts on this thread were pretty 'normal'. Obviously then, you have chosen your particular online persona. Maybe if you posted 'normal' more often, you wouldn't get so much grief?
    This is meant with good intentions, as i assume you don't deliberately set out to wind folk up?

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I think it's a great ad. Sure, they're touting how good and environmentally conscious they are, but it's an ad nonetheless. Here's how it came across to me: Don't buy a lot of stuff, but if you have to buy stuff, buy it from Patagonia because they make stuff that lasts a long time, they will help you repair it if needed and they will recycle for you if necessary. Maybe they will even give you a discount for a new or recycled item that you would BUY from Patagonia.

It's almost like getting rid of an older, running car and buying a hybrid so you can say you're environmentally sensitive. Nevermind that the new car still requires new materials and energy to build.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Mike

Its quite simple … I view forums as informal conversation

Just as i rather not wear work suits after work … I feel absolutely no need to treat forums posts as one would an academic paper or work email

I personally find it quite ridiculous that some people here write multi page essays to argue a point on an internet forum …. Or for every answer

But thats their choice

Craig Savage

@tremelo

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains

y'all might be doing yourselves a favor if you didn't care so much. I have to guess it's kind of stressful, or even annoying. My world has enough judgement to endure, the interwebs seems like a needless addition.

"I personally find it quite ridiculous that some people here write multi page essays to argue a point on an internet forum …. Or for every answer"

+1, though I will say that this place can be refreshing & thoughtful when not mired in pointless rants.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I like hearing Mike say "wind up". Or when others say "cheers". Fun avatars are great too.

Leave out punctuation and I will probably skip the reply, too hard to follow, I am busy
    multitasking.

It does make my head hurt when Rog posts epic long climate change arguments using words
    I can't follow. Reminds me of the local full page conspiracy letters to the paper about how the UN is taking over the world by putting cariboo on the endangered species list.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

>Just as i rather not wear work suits after work … I feel absolutely no need to treat
    >forums posts as one would an academic paper or work email
    While you may feel this way, remember that it takes two people to read a post: the poster and the reader. By contrast, it only takes one person to skip a post. Why would someone want to stop reading? One example: the ellipsis has specific uses in English writing, and by misusing it in every post, you force your reader to constantly adjust to your writing, which makes your "casual style" HARDER, not easier, for us to read.

>I personally find it quite ridiculous that some people here write multi page essays to
    >argue a point on an internet forum …. Or for every answer
    Then maybe you should go somewhere else because you obviously don't want to be a part of the community here, which you consider ridiculous.

>But thats their choice
    Similarly, it's our choice to take nothing you say seriously. If it's not obvious to everyone here that you're just here to mess with people, that's only because they're giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you have some sort of mental disorder, perhaps asperger's, which renders you insensitive to the normal social cues.

Craig Savage

@tremelo

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains

"While you may feel this way, remember that it takes two people to read a post: the poster and the reader. By contrast, it only takes one person to skip a post. Why would someone want to stop reading? One example: the ellipsis has specific uses in English writing, and by misusing it in every post, you force your reader to constantly adjust to your writing, which makes your "casual style" HARDER, not easier, for us to read."

I've found that this actually becoming more common than not. Between text messages and IMs alone (not to mention the bulk of forums out there), I'm actually more used to his style of writing then the classic norms. Skip his posts, I'm a "reader" and won't dismiss him for the things you would. It's this whole diversity thingy, I embrace it.

"Then maybe you should go somewhere else because you obviously don't want to be a part of the community here, which you consider ridiculous."

Whuh?!? Excuse me while I dismiss your venom and look to promote diversity. It's his choice to have an opinion, just as it is yours. He is not telling people how to post, not only does that sound short-sighted – it's my choice to say it's wrong on some fundamental levels. You would tell him to exude decency, but only to do it with proper punctuation. That's mighty decent of you, pffft

"Similarly, it's our choice to take nothing you say seriously. If it's not obvious to everyone here that you're just here to mess with people, that's only because they're giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you have some sort of mental disorder, perhaps asperger's, which renders you insensitive to the normal social cues."

See, my brother-in-law has aspergers. While I can appreciate your point, I'm afraid I won't be joining in on your goose-stepping parade. I believe he has managed to stay more than composed given some of the responses seen here. If all this is that troubling… ignore

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools