Topic

Tarptent Notch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Tarptent Notch

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Henry, I do think guy loops on top of the poles would be very nice if they were on the outside. It would effectively allow the tent to be hung like a hammock so that poles aren't needed. I'd love to not need any poles at all.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I never thought of that Eugene. Good thinking. My reason for loops on top of the poles were for extra side guying to the ground. Win win. :)

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I consistently can't get any of your .mp4 videos to run on WIN7.

Can you use a different foremat, please?

It also appears that the storm flaps at each end are not accessible from inside if the net liner is used? Is that correct?

The photo of the net liner pitched alone seems to indicate that it requires 2 small poles, one at each end. Do we have to disassemble one of the pitchlock sets to get these?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Bob, have you installed Quicktime? Should solve your problem.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Yes, but Quicktime is 32 bit and my WIN7 is 64 bit.

Apple does not make a 64 bit version of Quicktime.

WIN7 users will need a different foremat, Henry.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

I have WIN7 Professional 64 bit on my computer and Quicktime and TT's video's play for me. I have no idea if Quicktime is what allows the videos to play, maybe I have some other program in addition to Quicktime…just saying what I have. I'm no computer expert.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Quicktime 7.7.1 is for Win7.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL837

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Bob,

IE9 on Win7 breaks the video playback. Still not sure why, works fine in IE8. Better yet, use Chrome or FireFox. It isn't Quicktime problem.

Storm flaps can be opened from inside with some maneuvering.

Re: poles at interior ends, yes I pulled a strut out of the fly. A stick or whatever would be fine too (or go without although that's not ideal).

-H

Ty Ty

@tylerd

What about the floor area of 15.2 on the Notch versus 19 sq ft on the Moment.

It looks like the floors are the same except the moment has the extra space on the door side that makes for the extra 3.8 sf ft of floor space. Meaning the sleeping space is the same, the Moment just has an extra area for gear on the door side.

How does it feel inside versus the Moment?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

The Moment is 42" across the middle vs 32" across the middle for the Notch. Yes, the Moment floor on the backside extends further back. We took that out and made it a vestibule/back door. The floor edge holds to the pole shaft via a velcro loop at ground level. As with the Moment you can rip away the velcro to pull back the floor edge for more vestibule space.

As for how it feels vs the Moment , I would saw that you feel like you have substantially more headroom albeit less floor room at your side. You wouldn't want to try to squeeze two (although my 6-year-old son and I fit fine together). When the doors are open it feels much more open/breezy/viewy (I made up that word) than the Moment.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Any plans on making a Notch for 1+ or 2?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Not this year but feel free to bug me about it in the spring. It would need double length end struts and the current carbon fiber single tube concept would be out the question. End struts would need to be jointed/foldable in some way to keep the packed length down.

EDIT: 11/27

I looked at this idea a bit more and I don't really see a way to blow the Notch design out to a 1+ or 2 version and have it come in any lighter/better/stronger than the existing StratoSpire 1 or 2. Both of those models offer more usable space at a lighter weight than an expanded Notch design with larger rear struts. So…I'm updating the answer to "no."

-H

Terri Wright
    BPL Member

@ncalcamper

Locale: SF Bay Area

Henry,

First happy anniversary!

Second what are your thoughts on making this with two doors/ vestibules? I see similarities with MLDs Cricket and I really like the extra vestibule space afforded since it's concentrated on one side.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Terri, I don't understand your question. The Notch is dual door/dual vestibule although maybe you're asking why it's dual door? My belief is that dual door/vestibule offers much better ventilation, views, gear storage that doesn't interfere with entry/exit, and options for ventilation and exit during changing winds in storms. I also think a dual pole shelter is inherently stronger and better supported than a single pole shelter.

-H

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

What is the height at the head and the feet? Floor to where the netting starts to angle?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Wondering why this is under Gear Deals…is it going to be on sale at a reduced price for BPL Members?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I explained at the bottom of the initial post why it is in the Gear Deal section.
    That was a bit cheeky and some may find it offensive but it was something that came to mind at the time.

About the "it looks like…"
    No offence but Henry is busy looking at his own designs , what comes out is only a small part of the many others that for some reasons are never released.
    As already mentioned , it really came from the Moment design using trekking poles rather than a tent pole and that is what it looks like.
    The original design for the Moment also had vestibule space on either side.
    Pip test

This is my mock up of one of Henry's early versions of the Moment.
    (that is how I "guess" how a shelter will turn out…)
    Franco

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I know there's a joke here with the cat, but we won't go there. :)
    Duane

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> What is the height at the head and the feet? Floor to where the netting starts to angle?

Please take a look the dimensions shown here –>

http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html#specs (click "Show Dimensions")

-H

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

"I explained at the bottom of the initial post why it is in the Gear Deal section.
    That was a bit cheeky and some may find it offensive but it was something that came to mind at the time."

Got it…thanks, Franco.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Duane
    "I know there's a joke here with the cat, but we won't go there. :)"
    Sometimes I do include a joke but in this case it was just Pip doing what she always did, play with my tents.
    Pip died a few weeks ago , she was 18 and a half.

I still have her mother,Lucy, here she is testing my Exped DM 7
    (this morning….)
    Lucy's Rainbow

Franco

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Wouldn't a Notch +1 just be the Stratospire 1?

David Ure

@familyguy

No. The SS1 and Notch have noticeably different configurations. THe SS1 is actually more a modified Mid where the fly is slightly offset from the inner tent. I think (pure speculation here) that the design would take snow loading better (the SS1). See the diagrams posted @ TT.

Franco can help more than I can here but the design of the SS1 is really quite unique.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

They may get there in different ways but as far as weight, floor space, size in a dual door, dual trekking staff, inner net tent, etc it is effectively one size up.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

My problem is I was dead set on a Moment now I have a new choice :)

I am still thinking Moment because I don't use trekking poles and I really value ease of setup. I don't think there is or could be a more simple tent to setup than a Moment. Plus I like the little extra pocket of space in the Moment for my dog (18 lb terrier).

The only thing that temps me about the Notch is the dual wall and the ability to really open it up for ventilation.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 224 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools